How To Roll Guards With A Guard Roller

chestikoph1

Hi

Not sure if this should go here but anyway.

Just lowered the rear of my ke55 and the tyres sit pretty close to the lip of the guard, they don't quite touch, but when driving with lateral movement of the diff and when the wheels suck up into the guard they would have scrubbed.

So i rolled the lip of the guard up.

The following is rough guide with some pics,

Guard rolling/flaring tool.

post-4551-1232750793_thumb.jpg

The machine can be hired, or maybe even buy one between a few mates, it should only cost you about $70 - $100 each between 3 or 4 mates.

Considering the going rate is about $55 dollars per guard, if you do all 4 you're still up, plus you have the machine for future cars.

(sorry about the dodgy photos, the auto focus was playing up)

First i gave the guards a good clean especially underneath the lip, you don't want to trap any mud or crap under there, that will cause rust in the future.

post-4551-1232750918_thumb.jpg

Bolt the tool to the hub or drum with your wheel nuts. They are set up for mutiple stud options, position the roller at the top of the guard, with roller hard up against the lip.

post-4551-1232751263_thumb.jpg

Before you start rolling you must soften up your paint (to try and mimimise cracking of the paint) use a hair drier or a heat gun on low to WARM up the paint

DON'T OVERHEAT IT WILL BURN !!

post-4551-1232751851_thumb.jpg

At this point start to roll your guard by turning the hub or drum around, don't go to far around only about the top third of it needs doing.

WARNING

(if you have any bog near the lip of the guard, cracking might be unavoidable, so be prepared for this, and don't freak out if this happens)

post-4551-1232752266_thumb.jpg

Edited by chestikoph1

Members dont see this ad

Now keep on adjusting the roller as you go you can adjust the hieght and angle as you progress

post-4551-1232752878_thumb.jpg

The lip should slowly be getting follded under

post-4551-1232752963_thumb.jpg

post-4551-1232752989_thumb.jpg

post-4551-1232753019_thumb.jpg

The further you go the more the roller needs to be behind the lip

once it s flat, stop

post-4551-1232753147_thumb.jpg

post-4551-1232753189_thumb.jpg

Youre done!!

If you keep going, you will start to flare out the guard, you can only go so far when flaring it out before it starts to distort.

You could do all that with just a peice of pipe or a hammer, but the finish isnt as good.

Hope that was entertaining, any questions fire away that was as brief as i could make it, but it isnt to hard.

Edited by chestikoph1

ive always had mine done the old fashioned way.

heat gun and rubber mallet

never had any problems with cracking paint, even with the old paint on one of my past cars.

edit: IMO top 1/3 is all thats needed, as said it helps keep the guards shape

Edited by 13BT_KE20

$150 is hell cheap, from memory mine cost about $400 and thats at wholesale, must be better quality (i hope)

Quite a few people had issues with the rollers I was talking about. It works for awhile then it would snap. Reweld it then it's good as new and shouldn't break again. :)

You can't really notice that only some of the guard has been done

You could do all of it but its not needed.

By keeping some of it unrolled it helps retain the guards shape.

$150 is hell cheap, from memory mine cost about $400 and thats at wholesale, must be better quality (i hope)

Excuse my lack of knowledge... but what do you mean by keep the guards shape? From what I understand (not a lot :)), you're only tucking the lip under the guard, right? I didn't think it changed the actual guard in a big way except for poking a strip of metal out of the way?

ive always had mine done the old fashioned way.

heat gun and rubber mallet

never had any problems with cracking paint, even with the old paint on one of my past cars.

edit: IMO top 1/3 is all thats needed, as said it helps keep the guards shape

Heat gun and rubber mallet sounds good! Would be a lot cheaper too.. I wouldn't buy a guard roller but am still interested to know how much it is to hire one...