Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm swish cheese!!! :S

I hope its stronger than swiss cheese!

Lookin' Good Bud. :)

I really like the Black and Blue idea on the 4AGE. Are you going for Turbo, Supercharger, or Natural Aspiration?

Can't wait to see this Rig Completed.

Josh :)

Turbo man. Will run N/A running it in not taking it over 4000rpm running Castrol RX Super. Its a low ash oil 15W 40 meant for diesel motors but really good for running engines in.

I'll dump that at 1000km run for another 4000km then another 5000km then run a synthetic at 10,000kms and push it over 4000rpm.

It killed me in my ute having to run it in doing 10,000km's but its worth it in the end to have your motor last longer.

I can't wait to see it finished either got a mate coming over Saturday to help out so should get some good progress done.

Edited by bluterus

• 1 month later...

Thought I might as well give an update. My motor is all finished except I have to drill and tap the air temp sensor into the intake manifold. Car has all the glass out and Ill be sanding the whole lot back this weekend.

The weekend of the 28th I'll cut out all the rust. Then the weekend after that start painting. So I'm hoping to have this thing ready to start putting back together by the 11th of September.

Here's a picture of the motor.

dsc00944.jpg

Also some fake bride's I bought. I know people say they're shit but honestly I sat in a genuine and these and I can't tell the difference they're carbon fibre and an exact replica. They also came with seat rails and cost me only $600 so I don't care they're not genuine. Also all the welds in the rails have good body and don't look weak. I've seen other copies that the stitching sucks and the writing on the seats are cut off but honestly I can't fault these. Most people looking at them in the car probably wouldn't even notice they aren't genuine.

dsc00940n.jpg

as for running it in, give it curry from the first start!

" i have also come across this http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??

The Short Answer: Run it Hard !

Why ??

Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about. Contrary to popular belief, piston rings don't seal the combustion pressure by spring tension. Ring tension is necessary only to "scrape" the oil to prevent it from entering the combustion chamber.

If you think about it, the ring exerts maybe 5-10 lbs of spring tension against the cylinder wall ...

How can such a small amount of spring tension seal against thousands of PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch) of combustion pressure ??

Of course it can't.

have a look at the comparison pictures, beading by the instruction manual Vs. driving it hard "

motor looks very nice mate, I'm liking the seats too. who cares if they aint real or not, as long as their comfortable for your ass! lol

Exactly what I think people say oooh but they aren't real. I don't care cause I'm not paying $1500 a seat plus seat rails of $300 $3600 is too much for seats.

Hot damn that engine makes me tingly in the pants :fuzz:

Looks so....mmmmm.....tissue please.

I'll have one in red and black please :?

Yeah Could be done easily if I blow this up I'll redo it red and black. Can get that same blue anodising paint in red.

as for running it in, give it curry from the first start!

" i have also come across this http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??

The Short Answer: Run it Hard !

Why ??

Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about. Contrary to popular belief, piston rings don't seal the combustion pressure by spring tension. Ring tension is necessary only to "scrape" the oil to prevent it from entering the combustion chamber.

If you think about it, the ring exerts maybe 5-10 lbs of spring tension against the cylinder wall ...

How can such a small amount of spring tension seal against thousands of PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch) of combustion pressure ??

Of course it can't.

have a look at the comparison pictures, beading by the instruction manual Vs. driving it hard "

That's an interesting read man. I'm definitely going to give it a try. My XR8 was using shitload's of oil and spun a bearing. The guy I bought it from said he took it easy on it and it was only just run in when I bought it.

These were my pistons.

dsc00115fu.jpg

I rebuilt it and ran it in by the book. Using mineral based oil for 10,000km's and not taking it up past 3000rpm. Now guess what a full sump of oil doesn't even last 5000km's Its a 6.2L complete fill I usually fill 5.5L then add 1.5L over the 5000km's. I'd dare say its going to do the same.

So thanks very much man I say f@$k it I'll thrash the shit out of it plus its cheap to rebuild so if I f@$k it up I don't care it will be a lesson learnt.

Edited by bluterus

Okay so an update to what I did on Saturday. I spent from 5:30am till 6pm on this thing.

I drilled and tapped my intake manifold to fit the air temp sensor.

Fit the clutch and pressure plate and trial fit the gearbox.

Removed the chrome trim on the door jam of the back door that's riveted on.

Removed those plastic black air hole vents behind the rear doors on the pillars.

Removed all the door handles and latches.

Removed the old fuel and brakes lines and fitted all new ones from front to back.

Fit new rear swaybar bushes as the first pair that came with the swaybar were wrong then the 2nd pair I got were wrong.

Painted the AE86 brakes calipers which I'll be using for rego till I put the FC RX7 calipers on.

Swapped the wheels back to stock so it doesn't matter if they get painted.

Removed the spirit wing and sanded it ready for painting.

Removed the rear window.

Removed all the door seal clips still left in the doors.

Painted the Accelerator pedal as I hadn't done it when I did the Pedal box.

Fit new drum shoes and adjusted the handbrake.

Went to the wreckers for two hours getting Window runners, door handle and other small things I needed.

Doesn't sound like much but I got finished all the small annoying things really. I need to get some injectors or get mine refurbished as they end that goes into the head the piece on the end has gone all brittle and is falling apart like the plastic on the firewall.

Once I get the injectors I can fit the fuel rail and the engine will be 100% finished ready to drop in.

Got to clean the gearbox and put in new fluid.

Fit the front brake calipers.

Do all the bodywork.

Paint.

Then its just putting it together.

I'm going away this weekend so will do the calipers and clean the box this week then the 28th I'll get the whole body sanded.

Weekend of the 4th get all the rust repairs done.

Weekend of the 10th get it painted and ready to be put back together.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys and girls(if there are any)

Got a fair bit done on this corolla in the last few weeks. The motor is totally finished ready to drop in. The painting and rust repair was the worst bit I was looking forward to. So I bought an air sander from ebay and WOW it makes a difference. It was just a cheap palm sander that came with a 6" velcro and stick on pad cost about $70.00 but hell it saves time. I got the whole cars main flat panels done in about 2hrs.

Took me a Saturday from 11am till 5pm to rub down all the small bits like door jams, frames and all the little bits like curves and edges you can't do with the sander.

This Sunday just gone I cut the whole ass end off and lined up a new ass end I got off another car and cut out all the other rust. Also trimmed the new ass end to suit by measuring the back before I cut it then slipped the new ass end on over the original then marking the inside edge of the new ass end when it was slipped on the the right length. So this weekend it will be welding up, grinding and bogging. Then hopefully the next weekend will be painting if I get all the other stuff done and the weather holds out.

Here's a pic of my progress.

I've cut more off since this picture. I cut a piece out of the wheel well and those bits above the chassis rails where the bumper goes through.

dsc00997vl.jpg

Edited by bluterus

looking awesome as man. That thing'll be the tits once its all done!!

one question, whereabouts did you get the seats from? I'm looking for a good proper seat for my suzuki GTi, but like you can't justify spending 1k+ for a seat. I mean, thats the same as buying new cams!!!!

Hey man cheers! I came across them on ebay they weren't listed as brides or anything just 2x racing bucket seats. I just had a look through my feedback and can't find anywhere the guy that I bought them off. Just watch ebay and some will come up. Can even get cheap genuine's sometimes but very hard to get a pair they're all single usually if they're cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys & Gals if there are any.

Yesterday I welded on the new ass end so have to grind it all now and bog it. Also going to have to make new panels where you can see is missing as these were rusted out on this ass end too but the rest wasn't as bad. Seem's every Corolla no matter how good when you take off the factory glue sealer above one of the tailights at the dual panel that it has rusted.

So anyways pics of where I'm at now. Should get all the other ass end bits done on Saturday I hope.

dsc01006na.jpg

dsc01008h.jpg

far out nice work.

just on those cheap brides, the thing that lets them down is the die in the material.

my mate has a pair of them, and the top corners that get sunlight have faded something chronic.

so i dunno maybe get some seat covers for them perhaps, or just try and keep them out of the sun.

damn nice seat though, a tad uncomfortable after a few hours, but certainly hold you in, and feel very solid in the car.