Kid-Ae

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To join the CFS all you have to do is make sure your healthy and can handle a little heat or exercise. Go to your local CFS and just ask them, stay for a night or two and if you can handle it, sign up. If you can't actually go out into the fires and everything you can always see if they need someone on radio, means one more person to help in an emergency.

What's worrying is that according to what news I've seen, some fires are expected to burn through the next week or two unless some decent rain can come.

I got back from fighting fires on my brother inlaws vineyard near healsville last night. Utter devastation....

I got home from work on Saturday about 6pm to find my sister with the kids and dog there because they fled the fires. My brother inlaw stayed to fight.

I grabbed dad and we rushed out there to lend a hand only to be stopped at a road block on maroondah hwy near yarra glen. I got on the phone to my sis and she guided me through the back roads to their property. The last section was still on fire with fallen trees and branches everywhere.

Anyway, we finally got there and got stuck into putting out all the spot fires on his property. Over half of the vineyard was levelled. We crawled into bed at 1:30am and at 6am got stuck into even more after we could get over to the other side of the hill. After using about 10,000ltrs of water we decided that we had done all we could, with all the fires extinguished and only a few poles smouldering in parts where the tractor couldnt access. The winds dropped off as did the temperature which gave some relief.

The neighbours house 500m away was levelled. Luckily my Sisters house was saved, with thanks to some good fortune with a wind change and a 1000ltr fire fighting setup on the back of the tractor. The old Hilux with a few hundred litre tank on the back was great for racing to all the grass fires.

The part that really pisses me off, is that Police have confirmed that some of the fires were deliberately started. Then the embers from those fires started other fires and so on. The toll so far is 138 dead. I hope the culprits are caught and dealt with to the highest degree.

Heres some pics that I snapped after the worst was over.

post-336-1234165909_thumb.jpg

Poles burnt from the base upwards like cigarettes. There were thousands of these.

post-336-1234165985_thumb.jpg

Vinyards levelled by the fire. All the fruit is destroyed, as is all the watering systems and supports structures. Any fruit that wasnt burnt is either heat damaged or smoke damaged.

post-336-1234165996_thumb.jpg

The neighbours house above the power pole is just a smouldering heap.

post-336-1234166058_thumb.jpg

These fires are just simply devastating aye hopefully every1 involved in them get away with there rollaz and personal belongings intact if not ditch the hectic subs then load up the boot of the rolla and hi tail it outta there

MY DEEPEST THOUGHTS AND MUCH LOVE FOR ALL THOSE people NOW HOMELESS AND HAVE NOTHIN LEFT I don't KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE BUT I CAN ONLY IMAGINE

Well, I've located all my friends I had in the area, the last one popped up at midday today.

My sister has the clothes on her back, her ute, the cat and some small odds and ends. House gone, shed gone, race car gone.

Mainly for Col: I spoke to Batch today, he's fine and got out early with his ute and wagon. He believes his house is gone and his 25 to now be really, really light weight. He's already organising to put a bus on the block to live in. :cool:

It really disappoints me now as someone whos lived there, that somewhere so beautiful will now be remembered for something so bad.

Edited by Redwarf

This is just terrible. My thoughts are with anyone affected by this tragedy.

Did anyone hear about the charges that any guilty partied will be charged with? I'm just wanting to know what the sentence would be. Life in prison?? Sometimes it sucks that we don't the corporal punishment (death penalty) as it would cost more to have them locked up for the rest of their lives then putting them to sleep.

Did anyone hear about the charges that any guilty partied will be charged with? I'm just wanting to know what the sentence would be. Life in prison?? Sometimes it sucks that we don't the corporal punishment (death penalty) as it would cost more to have them locked up for the rest of their lives then putting them to sleep.

It's funny. i haven't even thought about how they started and/ or who started it. I suppose I'm still in the phase where I'm just glad the people I knw are safe.....

"Mainly for Col: I spoke to Batch today, he's fine and got out early with his ute and wagon. He believes his house is gone and his 25 to now be really, really light weight. He's already organising to put a bus on the block to live in. "

Thanks for the info Rob. I was wondering if he was still in the area or not. Glad to hear that he is ok. Shame he didn't leave his ute and save his 25 :cool:

Also Rob and Kangaroosa, its a relief that your family and friends are alive to rebuild their dreams.

Someone like that does not deserve to live at all and especially somewhere that they will get a free meal and housing for the rest of thier life, Really sucks to know that there are people like this in society, I hope that they are crying themselves to sleep at night as it has most likely affected their family aswell.