To Anyone Wanting To Put An Lsd Into Their Corolla

demuire

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i wanted to drift in my KE70 (i know it wil need wayyy more power and all) would i need to have a LSD? is there no possible way of getting both wheels to spin simoutanously? and if i were to weld my diff up, what does that do? like i know both wheels get more power to the ground and all, but does is affect steering that bad? also how can a coppa really tell that one has been welded up? i don't know much bout ratios and diffs and stuff but this is an interesting topic..

cheerz

Carl :D

A locker (welded diff) is basically like an extremely tight LSD. In other words, an LSD means (well, is supposed to anyway) "Limited Slip Diff", and obviously with a locker, if it slips then it's broken :D Or you could call your locker an LSD too (locked solid diff :kiwi:)

you need to read up on this stuff, like what a diff is and the differential action it performs and how it does it.

then learn about lsd's, lockers, welded diffs, 1 way 2 way and 1.5 way lsds and

viscous, mechanical and clutch type lsd's.

www.howstuffworks.com

and google lsd too

:D

Edited by styler

Lockers are the cheapest and easiest way to get both of em spinning. The downside is that they are hard on your drivetrain and will flog out your suspension bushes quicker than normal. They can be a bit of a pain in a daily driven car (ie U turns and reverse parking) plus the whole illegal thing ( I had a couple of occasions where I had to miss my turn and drive straight as there was a cop nearby)

A properly welded diff should give you many months if not years of trouble free driving. I find they are more predictable than an open diff and if you find them scary in the wet then you are

A: A shit driver

B: Not driving properly

With months of driving a locked diff I never had it come out without me telling it to. If you take care in the wet and use decent tyres you shouldnt have any problems.

mumblezz: but you are a freak of nature as far as driving goes :D With my locker, I found it very predictable, but constantly sideways in the wet. Maybe I should slow down more for roundabouts :kiwi:

Back to the topic. I drove with the LSD today for the first time, drift juice (rain) and all. Just around the block, maybe 5 minutes of driving. And after first impressions...

I TAKE IT ALL BACK!

I LOVE MY LSD :y:

It's like an open diff, I can reverse, I can make U turns, I can go around roundabouts, I can turn around corners - no shuddering, no chattering, no squeeking, no sliding, it just drives around normally. Don't need to pre-empt any understeer, no need to be ready for the oversteer that always comes after. How strange. And then give it a boot full, and oh-sideways-here-i-come! :D

And my my, the 4.78 diff is rather different. When my speedo says 80, I'm doing 60 (from Terratrip).

Yes roundabouts need to be negotiated at grandma speeds but it is possible to drive around normally in the wet with a locked diff.

Also what LSD did you end up buying. TRD? Cusco? 1.5 or 2 way?

My Cusco 2 way still likes to chirp around corners and makes the odd clunk here and there.

Cusco 1.5 way. I haven't driven mine on cement yet, so don't know if it will chirp there. Gearset made some mild whirring sounds on deceleration, but it seemed to go away within the first 2 or 3 minutes, maybe it's part of the "wearing in process". Dunno.