To Anyone Wanting To Put An Lsd Into Their Corolla

demuire

Before you go an embark on the mission to put an LSD into your old schoo Corolla, think about how much it will cost. I didn't, and now I'm regretting it. This LSD had better be God's gift to the world.

Remember that on top of actually buying the LSD, you also need to get a diff to suit, brakes to suit, possibly (and probably) new bearings, oil, and all the other stuff that goes with getting a diff set up.

My diff center ALONE, to date owes me just under $2500. That's with no oil. The actual LSD was only $1300. $700 for gears, and $450 for new bearings, and the labor to put it all together.

On top of this there's wheel bearings, buying and setting up the actual diff (cut mounts off the Celica diff and weld on new brackets), and in my case, new discs for the brakes.

So yes. Want LSD? Then buy a car that already has an LSD, or be prepared to pay the world for one.

In hindsight, I probably would have just settled for a locker.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, don't need center rebuilt. Just put into the diff carrier.

Including actually buying the diff housing, and all that, the diff owes me about $3K now. That was with a new pair of discs, but due to some clearance issues I had initially, they are now warped, so I need to get another pair. Or maybe I'll see if it's possible to machine them or something. Axles are standard, so no resplining.

Yay, diff is put together. Came up to $385... YAY! Pick up tomorrow morning. Then I have to go and get myself a slide hammer so I can get my axles out and start looking at getting bearings. I wish I could get the bearings without taking the axles out, but I have no idea what sort of diff I have, and my spare axles are different in length and have different bearings, hmm! Which ones are correct???

Going to rear discs did make a difference. I didn't expect it to make any noticeable difference, but it did :D

Rob: Thanks for that... But you're also about 50km away :doublebird: Besides, I think maybe it's about time I thought about getting one, instead of scratching my head and trying to borrow one everytime I need one... Then again, with my current financial status... Hmm.