Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

To Anyone Wanting To Put An Lsd Into Their Corolla

Featured Replies

Before you go an embark on the mission to put an LSD into your old schoo Corolla, think about how much it will cost. I didn't, and now I'm regretting it. This LSD had better be God's gift to the world.

 

Remember that on top of actually buying the LSD, you also need to get a diff to suit, brakes to suit, possibly (and probably) new bearings, oil, and all the other stuff that goes with getting a diff set up.

 

My diff center ALONE, to date owes me just under $2500. That's with no oil. The actual LSD was only $1300. $700 for gears, and $450 for new bearings, and the labor to put it all together.

 

On top of this there's wheel bearings, buying and setting up the actual diff (cut mounts off the Celica diff and weld on new brackets), and in my case, new discs for the brakes.

 

So yes. Want LSD? Then buy a car that already has an LSD, or be prepared to pay the world for one.

 

In hindsight, I probably would have just settled for a locker.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you need the center rebuilt? new gears, ouch! rebuilding any diff center isn't cheap, i got quoted $4-600 to rebuild mine and it's just a single spinner

  • Author

No, don't need center rebuilt. Just put into the diff carrier.

 

Including actually buying the diff housing, and all that, the diff owes me about $3K now. That was with a new pair of discs, but due to some clearance issues I had initially, they are now warped, so I need to get another pair. Or maybe I'll see if it's possible to machine them or something. Axles are standard, so no resplining.

Well I'm definitely going to forget about getting an LSD for a while. Unless I can do a Hilux or Sprinter conversion cheap, but I don't fancy my chances ($1,000 for a Sprinter LSD disc-brake rear end).

i won't stuff around with rear discs, and i'll get something with decent ratios. i reckon i could get away with it for under $1500

  • Author

Yay, diff is put together. Came up to $385... YAY! Pick up tomorrow morning. Then I have to go and get myself a slide hammer so I can get my axles out and start looking at getting bearings. I wish I could get the bearings without taking the axles out, but I have no idea what sort of diff I have, and my spare axles are different in length and have different bearings, hmm! Which ones are correct???

  • Author

Going to rear discs did make a difference. I didn't expect it to make any noticeable difference, but it did :D

 

Rob: Thanks for that... But you're also about 50km away :doublebird: Besides, I think maybe it's about time I thought about getting one, instead of scratching my head and trying to borrow one everytime I need one... Then again, with my current financial status... Hmm.

remove bolts from backing plate, put large screwdriver through hole to rest against axle flange, strike screwdriver with mallet. repeat

Or put an old drum on back to front and hit it with a plastic hammer.

Pretty exp swap there owch,my lsd centre cost me $450 secondhand trd.Best of luck.

i just welded my diff and called it a day.............

Ditto.

 

Last a couple of year in my case.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.