The "jdm" Ae71 Build Up

trav_555

movin out as soon as this car is on the road :(

why i want it done so fast :bash:

and pfft i can balance half a social life, just go out late, wake up at midday, grab someothing to eat and work on it till dark. and only go out one night a week :y:

but yea, anyway I'm off to go sort out the damn wiring, anyone got a diagram for running a microtech lt10s with ignitor and coilpack for jdm bigport :( :P

Travis

Edited by trav_555

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive found some wiring diagrams so i can hopefully crossreference the wiring around

also i cut out the slotted part on my cam gear cover spare i have and I'm going to fit some clear plastic in place of the hole, will make it look nice.

what are some things i should do to the 4age before i drop it in? change timing belt is one thing but what are some other things people recconmend?

cheers

Travis

ive found some wiring diagrams so i can hopefully crossreference the wiring around

also i cut out the slotted part on my cam gear cover spare i have and I'm going to fit some clear plastic in place of the hole, will make it look nice.

what are some things i should do to the 4age before i drop it in? change timing belt is one thing but what are some other things people recconmend?

cheers

Travis

Timing belt and tensioner, cam seals, main seals, rocker cover gasket. Spigot bearing. Head gasket is better done out of the car if it needs it.

You can remove the sump and de sludge it, then seal it back up nicely. Keep your oil a bit cleaner. Have a look inside the head and see if it needs any cleaning done. I carefully picked about a tablespoon of oil sludge out of my last motor, around the cams.

Just have a good look at it and see what needs doing.

water pump :P

Alot easier to fart about with out of the car (not overly hard in the car, but you get the drift) and corroded impellers etc arent much fun.

Id definitely be pulling the sump off for a good clean out, also a good indication of anything floating around inside the motor (ie, metal shavings etc)

Id be putting new gaskets or atleast removing and re-sealing anything that could be a pain in the bum later if it leaks. (coolant lines, oil pressure sensor etc)

ooooh! as for turning photos around,

If you use photobucket, their online editor now lets you turn them around online, its one click to open the editor with your photo, and one click to rotate, then one more to save it. (i usually use photoshop, but this is a quick online way to do it!)

Edited by orangeLJ

Cheers!

Great help, well i think ill save some dosh and get a full gasket and seal kit.

and ill probably buy an engine stand as there only 89 bucks at tradesman shops my dad gets his stuff from :P

also i downloaded a couple of the 4age and jdm ae86 manuals, HUGE amount of info and very helpful :hmm:, highly worth the wait for them to download :(

cheers once again

Travis

all up i got 3 engines, one put together, the other 2 in peices

yea i still don't know what struts they are....

globe challengers, cool

and all up i paid 2000 for 2 cars (havent bothered to pick up other one) and everything in those photos + more like microtech lt10s nd ignitor and wiring and stuff

and how could you get a fine for winding back your speedo? just say its a low km car :P cop musta been a real bitch. i mean it isnt even hurting anyone. gee

cheers

Travis

the wheels are performance challengers, as the centercap would say performance :P

but with no as good offset as these

big_challenger2.jpg

and these are the 4wd version it wouldnt let me link a j p s s site

just an ot why wont it let me type a j p s without spaces like ######

Edited by pvaneddy

and how could you get a fine for winding back your speedo? just say its a low km car :hmm: cop musta been a real bitch. i mean it isnt even hurting anyone. gee

Copper must've checked how many Ks the car had when he transferred rego/owner or something and then checked what it currently said. If it reads lower than obviously someone has winded the meter back. It's not gonna kill anyone, but fraud?

Do you reckon you could get away with it by saying you changed your dash cluster? :P Clock to tacho...

My celica goes around the clock after 99999kms and it suprised the shit outta a copper when he said how many kays has this thing done when i said 23 and a half ish thousand he said bullshit and i said thats after it has gone around the clock afew times and i never have heard anything from it but!!

should haul ass may aswell just build it turbo to start off with instead of mucking around getting it happening n/a just build it to the way you want it the 1st time!!

yea man do it

and it says made in aus on wheels and performance 14" or similar

so thats what it is cheers

yea offset is like 14x6 +15

not too bad fills gaurd nicely on stock sussy, if it was lowered it would need a less positive offset though i would reckon

cheers for comments and yea stuff it with dash cluster, its pretty much a full on restoration on all panels except the roof :(

no wait theres a bit above rear drivers side door :( its a complete restoration :(

so it should be wound to 0 i think to start fresh :P :hmm:

cheers

Travis

• 3 weeks later...

OK people

hasn't been much trouble as I've been swapping engines in the black car

BUT i have fitted the gearbox today, its a jdm t50, now the car is originally an auto, so it came with stock diff and stock AUTO tail shaft

but the jdm gearbox came with a manual yoke and i lined the tail shaft up next to the gearbox and when i swap yokes over it will be fine and fit prefect! so so far i have come to the conclusion that you can use an auto ae71 tail shaft, you just need a manual yoke because of the difference in number of splines, how cools that, just in case anyone needed to know

also i have been looking at the auto and manual pedal boxes, and seriously if you know how to weld you could EASY make te auto pedal box a manual pedal box :dance:, so if anyone wants to do this before i do pm me and i will get you any measurements you want

That's the update for now anyway, tomorrow or the next day i will sort out the microtech wiring some more, microtech wont reply to my emails about a 4age wiring diagram which sucks but i will get through it, and also i may need to spend 350 bucks to get a new basemap on it which sucks even more....

Anyway

That is all for now

Cheers

Travis

OK people

hasn't been much trouble as I've been swapping engines in the black car

BUT i have fitted the gearbox today, its a jdm t50, now the car is originally an auto, so it came with stock diff and stock AUTO tail shaft

but the jdm gearbox came with a manual yoke and i lined the tail shaft up next to the gearbox and when i swap yokes over it will be fine and fit prefect! so so far i have come to the conclusion that you can use an auto ae71 tail shaft, you just need a manual yoke because of the difference in number of splines, how cools that, just in case anyone needed to know

also i have been looking at the auto and manual pedal boxes, and seriously if you know how to weld you could EASY make te auto pedal box a manual pedal box :dance:, so if anyone wants to do this before i do pm me and i will get you any measurements you want

That's the update for now anyway, tomorrow or the next day i will sort out the microtech wiring some more, microtech wont reply to my emails about a 4age wiring diagram which sucks but i will get through it, and also i may need to spend 350 bucks to get a new basemap on it which sucks even more....

Anyway

That is all for now

Cheers

Travis

Trav good work, you are making good progress look forward to seeing it finished.

Cheers

Its getting there, just wish i had it payed off so i could pour money into the engine rebuild.

Only 2.5 weeks of paying it off to go, so should be around 3 weeks and its payed for :dance:

So not next week but the week after i have the entire week off, so i should be hitting the nail on the head with all the rust. hoping to get rid of most - all of it, not gonna be focusing on panels mostly the shell, might even wash all the wasp nests off the engine bay :) and dry it and push it into the workshop and seam weld it.

So that will be a big week.

Cheers

Travis