Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Project 2tg Into Rolla

Featured Replies

Hey thought i should post my engine conversion.

 

Most of the melbourne guys have seen my car. 5k engine with a weber etc. Well all thats coming out and a 2tg is going in.

 

Day 1

Gearbox off engine to change over clutch

New clutch etc. on

Day 2

5k comes out

2tg goes in

Had one casualty... the speedo cable was forgotten about and when pulling the engine out on the crane it got rather rooted

Day 3

to be continued...

post-5358-1239441269_thumb.jpg

post-5358-1239441309_thumb.jpg

post-5358-1239441338_thumb.jpg

post-5358-1239441388_thumb.jpg

post-5358-1239441433_thumb.jpg

post-5358-1239441464_thumb.jpg

  • Replies 33
  • Views 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quick progress. nice work.

 

pics of modified engine mounts?

what mounts did you use?

did u have to modify tunnel at all to fit the T50?

have u sussed out your hydraulic clutch setup yet?

any steering clearance issues?

 

all good questions :D

cheers, scott

  • Author
quick progress. nice work.

 

pics of modified engine mounts?

what mounts did you use?

did u have to modify tunnel at all to fit the T50?

have u sussed out your hydraulic clutch setup yet?

any steering clearance issues?

 

all good questions :D

cheers, scott

 

Quick progress can be attributed to buying the engine "package" off another forum member. So its almost drop in and away you go. Not really due to any mechanical aptitude I may or may not have ;)

 

No tunnel modifications required. The shifter is gonna come up in almost the right spot. Think it just going to require a bit of a adjustment to the hole making it bigger on the left.

the hydraulic clutch hasn't been tackled yet but there has been some good posts on here about the way to go about it.

No steering clearance issues. Only clearance issues are that the airfilters are bloody close to the brake booster and I think the clutch master cyclinder will just fit.

 

Off to my mates place today to see how he is doing with sand blasting the rocker cover. Then sort out if I want it painted and what colour.

 

Anyone know what I need to do to replace the speedo cable I broke? Mine was from the 5k engine so do I need one specifically for the 2tg?

just about finished the conversion into my ke70... now re70! except I'm having minor troubles with alternators as the std 2tg alternator has the external regulator. I know what your talking about when you say the air cleaners are close to the brake booster... i have the same air filters as you "ram-flo's" and i have about 10-15mm in between the cleaner and the booster :D . but yeah my standard ke70 speedo cable twisted straight into the gearbox (being a t-50), so it might be worth a try if the ke70 speedo cable fits? i havn't driven mine yet so dunno if its going to work or not tho.

  • Author

Yeah I will have to see what speedo cables i can find.

 

Got the gearbox cross member in today. Used the standard k50 one that came out of my car rather then the one I was given cause it didn't fit (it might be a ta22 one?). The standard one goes up nicely but sits back from the original position in a different set of bolt holes. Had to widen the centre piece of the cross member where the rubber mount fits into but aside from that it went straight in.

 

Also I may not have to cut the hole where the shifter comes through. The t50 sits about 3 cm back but I think I can bolt the shifter to the gearbox. Gonna try it anyway cause even if its a pain to do up the bolts its better than cutting the car.

 

Should have the drive shaft in tomorrow and will get some more photos.

nice work :D

 

i will look forward to seeing this on the street.

 

what are your plans for the old 5k?

  • Author

drive shaft is in. Got my rocker cover back from my mate and have to get off some of the paint still. Can I use paint stripper on a rocker cover??? Plan is to paint it black with writing in silver and the two raised edges over the cams in silver.

 

some more pics plus a picture of the awesome eco friendly ride I have until my car is back on the road - excuse phone pic quality

 

what are your plans for the old 5k?

It will be for sale provided the conversion all goes to plan.

post-5358-1239783527_thumb.jpg

post-5358-1239783547_thumb.jpg

Nice.

Hopefully will see this when I get out on a few cruises myself.

quick progress. nice work.

 

pics of modified engine mounts?

what mounts did you use?

I was just thinking the same thing till i re-read the thread

 

Quick progress can be attributed to buying the engine "package" off another forum member. So its almost drop in and away you go. Not really due to any mechanical aptitude I may or may not have :y:

The standard mounts can be used but it'll leave the engine on an angle - front of the motor will be over to the left side where as the back is over to the right side.

 

But anywhat, from memory TA22 mounts can be used.

 

:hammer: paint stripper and alloy.... i don't think it'd be a good idea.... But just read the labeling to be sure

Edited by towe001

whats a 2tg out of ?

whats a 2tg out of ?

 

 

a GT celica model starting from ta22 GT to ra23/8 ish

And also the Trueno te series corollas eg te27 Trueno :hammer:

and not the te27 which only came with a 2t-c or 2t-b

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Progress update

 

Rocker cover has been painted in satin black and I will be doing the silver detailing this weekend

Extractors have been fitted and my exhaust system has been cut and will require welding to the extractors

The gearstick is now coming up in a much nicer position due to a bit of persuasion from the vice and some steel tubing (I bent it more upright)

Radiator is in the shop getting outlet relocated thanks to some good advice from fellow rolla club forum members

 

Left to do

Exhaust welding

Wiring and hoses

The infamous hydraulic clutch conversion

 

Progress pics to follow this weekend... as I make more progress...

This thing will be awesome...well...more than before after your done. Shot-gun a ride...I swear I wont be drunk this time too :)

a GT celica model starting from ta22 GT to ra23/8 ish

 

Wrong! The RAXX series came out with R series engine. The ST came with an 18R and the GT came with the 18RG. The TAXX series came out with T series engine. The ST with the 2TC, the GT with the 2TG and another . . . with the 2TB.

 

They are great motors the 2TG. Will rev greatly!!! :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.