Beginning Of My Suzota

twitchy

I am about to get stuck into my Suzota build, or since I'm on the Toyota site should that be a Toyzuki?????????

This is a project I though of doing a lot of years ago & just never got around to it. I have a LWB Suzuki Sierra chassis & drive lines & I am about to put a Corolla station wagon onto it. :D It will be an Individually Constructed Vehicle for rego purposes which means about 2k in Engineering fees but ya get that.

1.6 Engine & Auto will be donated from a Vitara (so far), unless you lads can think of a Viable yota alternative, still open to suggestions on that.

Will be a long build due to having to feed my 3 snot goblins as well..

post-8053-1239482690.jpg

post-8053-1239482778_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be watching this veeeery closely... I too have a LWB zook sitting around waiting for inspiration :D

What engine did the zook have originally? I ask only because if it was the mighty one litre F10A, it will very likely have the smaller axles which are prone to breaking.

The beauty of this chassis is the unlimited options you have for engine transplants... all you have to do is drop in an engine and GB of your choice, weld up the mounts, and get a custom jackshaft to go to the T/case! Simplicity itself ;)

The Corolla & LWB suzi have a whole 25mm difference in wheel base & 20-25mm difference in wheel track so it's not a bad match really.

Both chassis in the pics are Wide Track chassis & came with the 1.3. Was thinking of using the 2.5l V6 in it, still could happen.

Will have the engineer here in a couple of weeks to start the what I can & can't do list.

Edited by twitchy

Good stuff.

Myself I'd prefer to steer away from those Vitara engines... I've not heard of them being the most reliable unit.

You'll want something light, torquey, and relatively small capacity... perhaps a 1GGTE or a dirty Nissan RB20? Cheap and cheerful, relatively bulletproof... or if you can get away with it, a VL commie RB30 and auto :D Cheap, plentiful, BULK torque ;)

Ah I know this Pannel van well that will be used in the conversion.

Will watch this with a keen eye. Great to see some one doing it properly with an engineer cert and all.

Good luck with the build.

Cameron

Good luck with the build Cameron. A few years ago I rebodied a 2wd Hilux as a hot rod and got the rego as a rebodied vehicle, which is alot cheaper and easier to do. As long as you use the chassis and brakes and suspension, it should be registered as a suzuki and only incur the rules and regs pertaining to that vehicle. If my memory serves me, going the Individually constructed vehicle route means you have to comply to current ADR's which means a current engine that meets emission laws, along with other near impossible to comply with regs. Ask your engineer about this or even get in touch with a hot rod club who could steer you in the right direction.

Good luck with the build Cameron. A few years ago I rebodied a 2wd Hilux as a hot rod and got the rego as a rebodied vehicle, which is alot cheaper and easier to do. As long as you use the chassis and brakes and suspension, it should be registered as a suzuki and only incur the rules and regs pertaining to that vehicle. If my memory serves me, going the Individually constructed vehicle route means you have to comply to current ADR's which means a current engine that meets emission laws, along with other near impossible to comply with regs. Ask your engineer about this or even get in touch with a hot rod club who could steer you in the right direction.

Can't be done as a rebodied unfortunately. As for the ICV the emissions testing won't apply because of the age engineer has already told me what we have to do & it will cost a few bob but wont be to hard.

Edited by twitchy

:D Somebody else!!!!

Nah all good dude, love seeing weird and wonderful projects being built.

I'm actually just about to build a 4x4 corolla also, but I'm using a ke36 wagon (though it was much more practical than a ke55).

I have a '94 LWB Murati Sierra which I'll be using. Its about 1 inch longer in the wheel base and chassis rails are pretty close.

I'm going to use a Toyota 7k for my power plant for several reasons: 1, I have one in the wagon to be used. 2, I love the reliability and simplicity of K series motors. 3, the 7k is the biggest K you can get ;) Big bore!! hahaha

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=18156

I did have a magazine here somewhere that a mate bought round for me, but I don't know where it is now. Had basically the same project but used a ke30 for the body on a lwb. IIRC the owner works/ed in a 4x4 shop in Qld named "Red bank 4x4" or something like that. Pretty sure it was far north Qld so maybe 7Shades will know where I'm talking about.

Edited by Taz_Rx

Oh and Shades I seriously reckon any inline 6 would be way too much trouble (anythings doable...but) to consider for the small engine bay. V6 wouldn't be too bad though.

After doing some researching into the K powered sierra thing, its not actually as easy as its made out to be.

In most cases the transfer case is moved back around 100mm, with shaft lengthening/shortening required. Or you can make a solid spline>flange and have the GB mounted against the TC. In both cases the longer K series will come further forward in the bay and require the radiator to be mounted further forward aswell. Considering the room there is in those little engine bays there really no way you'd get an L6 without some serious firewall mods.

This is the main reason my 7k isn't in the sierra yet. Poke around a bit and decided that i'll kick the body off the chassis, fit the 7k, then do the body thing. Then the ke36 engine bay will be alot bigger and easier to work with, and its just a matter of hooking everything up to the motor where it was before. :D

Ah yeah... you see... I was thinking more along the lines of a full tube frame front end to hang the panels off, and removing the donor body's tunnel altogether until it was mounted on the chassis... and then fabricating to suit.

Shit son, no point doing these things by halves :D

Taz-Rx Redlands four whel drive was the place.

With the 7k, what auto was behind them???

If you find the article I would love a gander at it if you would be so generous. Good to hear that I am not the only one going different...... :D

Edited by twitchy

With the 7k, what auto was behind them???

If you find the article I would love a gander at it if you would be so generous. Good to hear that I am not the only one going different...... :D

There would be some sort of auto you could get out of a townace, and cause they have a bonnet and conventional'ish car layout the gearbox is pretty normal aswell. Ie not column shift.

I really want to find it for my project and would be happy to do you some scans. Think an x flat mate might have taken it with him. ;)