Suspension... Everyone Has Already Asked!

tbo92

Hi Guys, after reading 102031203 posts on suspension for KE55's.

My head hurts more now then it did before!

What i would REALLY like for someone to answer, in a straight, non mechanics speaking way is.

WHAT CAN I USE, IN MY KE55 that doesnt require me being a mechanic to fit?

does know of, pre made coil overs? or shortened struts? etc etc?

what is the LESS STRESS way.. i don't really mind about the cost, as long as its not going to cause me to re mortgage my house!

Thanks heaps all!

Members dont see this ad
Hi Guys, after reading 102031203 posts on suspension for KE55's.

My head hurts more now then it did before!

What i would REALLY like for someone to answer, in a straight, non mechanics speaking way is.

WHAT CAN I USE, IN MY KE55 that doesnt require me being a mechanic to fit?

does know of, pre made coil overs? or shortened struts? etc etc?

what is the LESS STRESS way.. i don't really mind about the cost, as long as its not going to cause me to re mortgage my house!

Thanks heaps all!

Ok,

Get EB Falcon REAR KING springs "Lows"

Get new standard shocks for the front.

Cut the falcon springs down, put the new shocks in. you will have a VERY stiff front end.

Then in the rear get Suzuki Sierra Front shocks, they have very little travel and bolt right into your 55.

Then get your leafs flipped.

whiteline sway bar for the front.

and a KE70 rear sway bar welded into the rear of your 55.

this is what I have and its sick.

Dude, let your fingers do the walking!!!

Ring somebody like Pedders, tell them what you want, and open the cheque book. :)

I feel your pain! Been there, done the miles and miles of internet trawling and reading for suspension ... so many questions, so many questions!

First question you need to answer: what do you want from your car?

• track?
  • motorkahna?
  • rally?
  • street?
  • comfort level?
  • carry people in rear seats?

How committed are you to "better handling"?

Do you still want to go to supermarket carparks without scraping on those monster speedhumps?

I'm not aware of any premade coilovers for KE55.

You will be able to fit new springs , new dampers, new front swaybar without going anywhere near a machanic.

I don't think KE55 came with rear swaybar mounts - whiteline may have a kit that doesn't involve welding though ... maybe someone else has better experience than me as far as that's concerned.

So ... tell us what you want and we might be able to help.

cheers,

Slapper

I feel your pain! Been there, done the miles and miles of internet trawling and reading for suspension ... so many questions, so many questions!

First question you need to answer: what do you want from your car?

• track?
  • motorkahna?
  • rally?
  • street?
  • comfort level?
  • carry people in rear seats?

How committed are you to "better handling"?

Do you still want to go to supermarket carparks without scraping on those monster speedhumps?

I'm not aware of any premade coilovers for KE55.

You will be able to fit new springs , new dampers, new front swaybar without going anywhere near a machanic.

I don't think KE55 came with rear swaybar mounts - whiteline may have a kit that doesn't involve welding though ... maybe someone else has better experience than me as far as that's concerned.

So ... tell us what you want and we might be able to help.

cheers,

Slapper

Ok, thanks HEAPS for your replies!!!

here goes...

I live up in the ranges.. so naturally.. my trip home wants to be fun! STIFF RIGID and REALLY REALLY TIGHT! like its running on train tracks!

I really don't mind about comfort etc...

I don't want to cut springs if i can avoid it...

Thanks HEAPS again! :)

Ok, thanks HEAPS for your replies!!!

here goes...

I live up in the ranges.. so naturally.. my trip home wants to be fun! STIFF RIGID and REALLY REALLY TIGHT! like its running on train tracks!

I really don't mind about comfort etc...

I don't want to cut springs if i can avoid it...

Thanks HEAPS again! :)

Don't flip the leaves, get them reset properly.

Not really, getting them reset keeps the same spring properties and shit.

And up front if you on cheap, Id say go

TA22 Celica Struts and Steering arms.

2" lowered springs around the 6kg mark

and some decent shocks inserts.

If you got money to blow,

Maybe go for the

XT130 Corona Struts (look for the ones with dual piston calipers)

convert struts to coilovers.

Camber tops.

Sigma LCA's

Seriously though, unless its a track car, i prolly wouldn't go coilovers, decent set of shocks and spring in front, and decent shocks in rear with a added leaf in the leaf packs should be plenty.

Maybe look into good tyres, and thicker swaybars?

Edited by Falken_KE30

Thanks Heaps.

i have used 3" lowering blocks with very heavy duty shocks in the rear. VERY TIGHT about 10mm at the most.

front.. still standard :) how ever i am liking the sound of that

And up front if you on cheap, Id say go

TA22 Celica Struts and Steering arms.

2" lowered springs around the 6kg mark

and some decent shocks inserts.

with this set up, what is required for me to do this? eg, is it simply change the steering arms? what else would i have to change or will they bolt straight on?

springs i can organize thru autobarn / someone who can get custom set springs.

and shock inserts.. what would you recommend?

ta!

I have the following in front

TA22 struts

Cut 2 coils off the standard springs ='s to a 2" drop. edit (TA22 springs are bloody long, i cut 2 coils out, and i still have them held captive even when car is fully jacked up)

Stock shocks, though one is leaking, so i might look into some from pedders.

And i used T18 steering arms as they same as the TA22 ones.

it should all bolt in.

Make sure you got the TA22 brakelines with the struts, as the KE30/55 ones are different length.

Edited by Falken_KE30

Throw the lowering blocks away. They're about as useful as a scuba tank made from cheese.

Save your pennies and get them reset properly. You'll thank yourself for it. I've flipped leaves, and although they served the purpose, it's not an ideal solution. Do it properly the first time.

Remember that just because it's low and stiff, doesn't mean it will handle. Ride height is not necessarily a prerequisite for decent handling. Of course lower C of G helps, but the overall set-up is more important. I've had a 55 Hardtop with celica struts and Bilstein inserts, 170lb springs (rally car) and it was good. My 27 with 225 pound springs was good, but would be too hard for day to day. Pobably 200 lb would be a happy medium. Brakes should be fine for you. They weren't for me. I set them on fire on occasions. :)

I've got two sets of rear springs for each car. Forest height, and bitumen height. All sets have been professionally reset, and IMHO worth every cent. I can put you onto my guy in Nth Brisbane if you like. He does all my work, and has done jobs for others in here.

Edited by Redwarf

Remember that just because it's low and stiff, doesn't mean it will handle.

Exactly. Low and stiff will make it handle worse if it is bumpy or wet.

To make your car handle all you really need is a set of slightly lower stiffer front springs, heavy duty shocks all round, and stiffen up your swaybars with urethane link and D bushes. Fit a set of semi-metallic pads to the front, and spend up on a set of decent 185/60x14 performance tyres (yoky c-drives or eqiv), which you could throw on a set of celica/tarago 14x5.5" steelies.

Most guys tend to get carried away with themselves going for the LOOK, and changing shit just for the sake of it because it sounds cool.