Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brakes Buggered

Featured Replies

G'Day all,

 

Just yesterday my brakes went all funny and they wouldn't work, had myself using the handbrake to stop instead.

Had a little peek underneath and the little brake fluid pipe thing on the rear left-hand side of the car was leaking fluid, and when you pump the pedal with the engine off, it will spray like a jet.

 

Now my question is, is this easy to fix? Can and do I need to get a replacement pipe thingo or is it possible to fix it with some special tape or something like that?

Does a mechanic bend and fit a pipe or can I get some myself and do it? I would prefer to do it myself as I am short on cash atm.

 

Thankyou in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Hi,

can't tape brake lines they are hydraulic lines and run at very high pressure. One on my LE30 popped the other day. Cost me $20 for new lines for front left and right wheel. CHEAP and it is BRAKES safety comes to mind... go to a mechanic he will fix it for you not expensive either.

 

Cameron

  • Author
Hi,

can't tape brake lines they are hydraulic lines and run at very high pressure. One on my LE30 popped the other day. Cost me $20 for new lines for front left and right wheel. CHEAP and it is BRAKES safety comes to mind... go to a mechanic he will fix it for you not expensive either.

 

Cameron

So Cam, Where did you get these replacement lines from. I really want to avoid going into the mechanics.

So Cam, Where did you get these replacement lines from. I really want to avoid going into the mechanics.

 

 

sounds like your going to have to go to the mechanics or local brake shop and get them to bend up and flare a new piece of steel brake tubing reasonably cheap to do you could even take it off yourself and take it to them and get them to replicate the pipe. you will then need to re-fit it and completely bleed the brakes againas air will have entered the system.

or you could buy a pipe flare tool, and a heap of pipe.

 

then you can redo all your pipes at once. if one has failed, expect the otherside to soon. it did to me :bash:

If its the rubber line that has failed you can purchase these from Repco/Bursons/etc

 

If its the steel hard line I would suggest taking to a mechanic or getting one from a wreckers.

 

Replace all the rubber lines. If one has perished the rest are soon to follow.

  • Author

Thanks to all who replied.

 

So if I was to take the piping to a mechanic or pipe place to get it replicated, what about the fittings on either end? Does anyone know the sizes and how to fit them onto the pipe?

is it the hard line(metal) or soft line (rubber)

 

if its hard line, take it out then take it to a brake shop and they can just make a new one the same length then you bend it to fit

 

if rubber just go to bursons, repco and should be able to pick one up, Normal take the old part in if your not sure what your after

 

cheers

  • Author

Nah it's the hard line, sorry. I'm gonna need a 10mm crow's foot-type spanner to remove it right?

Nah it's the hard line, sorry. I'm gonna need a 10mm crow's foot-type spanner to remove it right?

 

yeah one of those open ended ring spanner things

 

find yourself a hydraulic or brake shop, take out everything that needs replacing, land them on their front desk and say "i want a new one of each of these".

 

the hard line will take them no more than about 5min to make. the soft line a little longer. if you are keen you can get braided hoses made up quite cheap to, i think it cost me around 100$ for both rubber hoses, but rubber will be much cheaper.

 

if the other side hard line is ok then i would just leave it, but id replace both the front soft lines at once though.

or you could buy a pipe flare tool, and a heap of pipe.

 

then you can redo all your pipes at once. if one has failed, expect the otherside to soon. it did to me

 

this is correct they have all gone through the same usage same amount of strain unless something has phisically hit it or been torn off be sure that the others COULD be at the end of there life..

  • Author

Ok, thought you deserved an update.

 

I went to the shop and asked them to replicate the hardline I took in.

Two hours later I came back, and all they had done was flare the ends of a piece of pipe, and used my original ends, all for 20 bucks which I think is a bit steep, no bending or anything.

 

So I go to put it back on, sorta bent it to shape but not really, and pumped the pedal to check for leaks. It leaked a little and I want to know if this is normal first off, without bleeding the brakes.

 

Anyway, I think that's it now, just have to bleed the brakes and that's it. Tell me if I've missed anything please.

 

Jimmy

A leak will be a problem. Should be no fluid escaping at all - if it does leak you won't be able to bleed them properly or get a good pedal.

Where is it leaking from? From the threaded fitting?

 

The price is steep, shopping around will always save you money. Last one I had, from my tee piece on the diff to my right drum cost me 7 bucks with new ends.

Hi,

I got my brake lines from BPA...Brake parts Australia. They make there own line of parts and sell stuff clutches to based in Brisbane.... That was trade price but.

 

Cheers

Cameron

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.