4ac Or 4k?

but i seem to only find stuff on here for the 4k?

thanks iahn thats my plan would like to tune up te 4ac cos i don't see many of em

That's because the RWD 4AC was only found in AE71 and AE86 models here, whereas the K-series is in KE1x, KE2x, KE3x/55 and KE70s, so simple maths should tell you why you see more about 4Ks than 4ACs on Rollaclub....

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus the fact that it's fairly straightforward to swap a 4AGE into a 4AC car, whereas a 4K would require more effort!

Performance bits for the 4AC aren't particularly common - I don't even think there is an off the shelf sidedraft manifold for them, the only ones I've seen are custom fabricated.

Plus the fact that it's fairly straightforward to swap a 4AGE into a 4AC car, whereas a 4K would require more effort!

Performance bits for the 4AC aren't particularly common - I don't even think there is an off the shelf sidedraft manifold for them, the only ones I've seen are custom fabricated.

exact

4AC's do not have the strongest aftermarket support but even with just a 32/36 weber and free flowing 2-inch exhaust they get going pretty well. I have driven a mates stock 4AC which went just as good as most stock 4AGE's go

Cheers, Ben.

Probably linked to the fact that a lot of 4ACs are FWD-spec (in AE82s), thus making a sidedraught a bit hard to install.....4AGEs are common enough for RWD swaps that there is a market for them though, and all K-series are RWD thus making it easier for sidedraughts.

go for a supercharged 4ac, i was gonna do mine till i bought another car.

was gonna be cheap aswell under 600 buks for 120+ kw at rear wheels

Where did you 120rwkw from?

Would like to see how long a $600 supercharged 4AC would last

Could've been good lol

why bother super charging it??

you could easily get a small turbo and run it at 6 or 7 psi and it sounds better when it spools too,

if you wanted to do a different conversion you could get something like a 3tgte and fit it in

would be quite a nice amount of power 2 weight from that

HKS did do a few side draught mani's for the good ol 4ac, one was for sale on DC a late last year too...

As what tom said. Blow thru supercharged is what i intended to do to mine but of course a 4ag came up at a price i literely couldn't say no to..

but if you want some idaes..

http://www.paradiseracing.com/index.htm

http://4ac-powered.forumotion.com/forum.htm the best 4ac site..

Richie.

ive just got myself a 4ac ae-71 for free

thinking of puttig a 4k or even 5k in it

wanting to keep with the corolla eingines as i don't mind em

what u guys think are the best engines and why and wats best to mod

thanks ae pig

I would not bother going to a 4K as it is a 1.3lt and the 4AC is a 1.6lt.

Also people have said the 4AC has the same Block as the 4AGE so it is just a straight Head swap.

I would say stick to the 4AC and/or upgrade in the future.

Cool!

I would not bother going to a 4K as it is a 1.3lt and the 4AC is a 1.6lt.

Also people have said the 4AC has the same Block as the 4AGE so it is just a straight Head swap.

I would say stick to the 4AC and/or upgrade in the future.

Cool!

Same block, Has different crank though. Has a 6 bolt flywheel where the 4age is 8 bolt. You can get away with a simple head swap, But i would use a 4age bottom end as i know it is suited to rev to nearly 8000rpm stock. Not sure about the 4ac conrods being the same, but the pistons are different aswell. The 4ac one don't have cutouts for the valves in them, Making it an interferance motor which could be costly in the event of a timing belt failure.

IMO most people don't work with the 4ac because it is so easy to put a 4age in. It uses the same mounting, same gearbox. So if you have a car with a 4ac in it already its just easy to put a 4age in it, and if your converting a k-series car to a-series its as much work to get a 4ac in there as it is to do a 4age, so people put in the extra effort and extra cost for the extra power, and performance support.

Same block, Has different crank though. Has a 6 bolt flywheel where the 4age is 8 bolt. You can get away with a simple head swap, But i would use a 4age bottom end as i know it is suited to rev to nearly 8000rpm stock. Not sure about the 4ac conrods being the same, but the pistons are different aswell. The 4ac one don't have cutouts for the valves in them, Making it an interferance motor which could be costly in the event of a timing belt failure.

IMO most people don't work with the 4ac because it is so easy to put a 4age in. It uses the same mounting, same gearbox. So if you have a car with a 4ac in it already its just easy to put a 4age in it, and if your converting a k-series car to a-series its as much work to get a 4ac in there as it is to do a 4age, so people put in the extra effort and extra cost for the extra power, and performance support.

Yeah for sure man!

Thanks for that, leant something new.

Like you said the 4AC and the 4AGE have the same engine and gearbox mountings it saves a hell of a lot time.

So I guess best off going the full conversion.

go for a supercharged 4ac, i was gonna do mine till i bought another car.

was gonna be cheap aswell under 600 buks for 120+ kw at rear wheels

Who's your dealer? That's some major-strength ganga you're smoking if you think $600 spent on supercharging a 4AC will give you 120kw at the rear wheels, hell a standard healthy 4AGZE struggles to get 90-100 at the wheels in a FWD car, and RWD will give you more losses, plus you're starting from a 4AC....