Ms56 Crown Ute(s)

Well, i finally sold the MS65 crown that i had (the green one on the wisemans radrollaz cruise) and reduced my car count to 3. I could have that so I've bought 2 60's crown utes. One has got a decent body (well i find that out for sure when i pick it up) but not much else and the other is running, has full trim (which is in resonable condition) and everything else but also comes with a massive rust hole. I'm hoping i can make one decent ute out of 2.

Plans at the moment include:

Brakes that actually stop, i don't know how so many people lived thru the sixties

knowing me, probably a fair few suspension mods. I'm already thinking drop spindles and a 3-4 link and coils in the rear

a retrim, nothing massive, i want it looking period as possible so hidden A/C, stereo bench seat and column shift auto

a respray, I'm thinking either a nice clean white or a really dark metallic blue

wheels, either something fat and with dish in 15" or something old school in 17" that sits right in the gaurds

engine, something with 8 cylinders, I'm toying with the idea of either a 1UZ or a 350 chev crate, jury's still out on that 1

auto, diff (LSD)

power steering rack (steering boxes suck balls)

I have a few questions for the old school techies out there,

No. 1 can anybody think of a metric ar that has a column shift auto that i could adapt 2 fit the crown? like the whole column

No. 2 can anybody thing of something that has a double wishbone front end and a rack? or, alternatively, a car that has a rack and stupidly long steering arms?

and before anybody asks, no i don't have pics yet, i will by the end of the weekend

thoughts?...

Edited by Fat Bastard Customs

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old crowns rock! I would suggest signing up to toymods, as there is a dedicated crown thread there and lots of good information for them.

There used to be a really good site called classic crown or something that was a good repository of information, but it disappeared when msn changed their website stuff.

The mooneyes crown website in japan has some awesome photos on it if you need inspiration.

Awesome...... I love these utes. Would love to have one in my collection but they are pretty rare these days.

When you get a chance bang some pics up of the two you have bought to give us all an idea of what your starting point is.

Agree with silverra23, check what the boys in Japan get upto with their crowns. The mooneyes website is jam packed with awesome stuff.

Yeah, that white pic is off the mooneyes site, Ive been looking around and as stated above, looks like I'm gonna have 2 sign up 2 toymods.

also, i was thinking of more pros and cons for the 350 crate versus 1uz not just someone yelling "1UZ" over and over, lol

I'm thinking, the 350 will be fresh and new, the 1uz will not, the 350 will be simple to wire, the 1UZ will cost a fair bit to wire in, the 350 fits easily, the 1UZ does not, and the 350 crate has more grunt but only just.

on the other hand, the 1UZ is cheaper (but the wiring isnt) and is jap, i really would like a 1UZ so we'll have 2 see

your worried about keeping the interior "Period" as possible,

but you want a metallic blue paint job, with 17s and a 350 chev.

i didnt know kellogs were still selling corn flakes laced with LSD? :dance: hahahahah.

i look forward to the progress shots :bash: i have no doubts the finished product will be a ripper.

cheers, scott

lol, I said period not stock :no2:

They had 350 chevs and metallic blue paint back in the 60's (granted they didnt run 17"s but I'm leaning much more towards 15"s) :dance:

I shall rephrase the previous statement, Imagine u had a crown ute 2 do up in the 60's/70's. If u had a little money and some brains you would probably run a chev/ford/mopar V8, lower it, give it a respray, add a nice set of wheels and maybe some accesories (mooneyes rocker covers, extractors etc)

the modern bits I'm doing are probably the brakes, the suspension, the p/steering rack and A/C

and after getting a few prices I'm going with the chev, after the prices i got today i just can't justify the 1UZ. I mean i can get a full turnkey 350 chev crate motor, auto, extractors and sump with warranty, for a little more than a 1UZ half cut. With the chev, i know it will fit, its way easier 2 wire (wich would u rather wire up kebin, a carby 350 chev or a lexus motor?) and other than that all i need 2 do is fabricate engine mounts, get a tailshaft, and sort out the exhaust pipes from the extractors back. With the 1UZ i have 2 fabricate mounts, extractors, wire it up, tailshaft, sump and thats if it even fits (neatly) in the crown.

Jake, I'm getting the rona wags running shortly and getting all that crap out of kurts (well into the other paddock 2 be picked up anyways) and I'm keeping the utes at simons mums for the moment. When the wags is running i'll be getting the 2 utes and getting everthing together to make 1 good 1 and seeing exactly what ive got. Then the ute will be going 2 the olds to be worked on. This will be a slow projet coz i still have a rolla 2 work on and I'm not a millionaire but i'll try and keep everything i do heaps more detailed than the rolla build i did

Also, shut up jake :bash:

the chev, i know it will fit, its way easier 2 wire (wich would u rather wire up kebin, a carby 350 chev or a lexus motor?)

I would definately rather the lexus... c'mon you know i love challenges! wheres the challenge in old technology :dance:

From your shoes i can clearly see where your coming from..... you could wire it up yourself in a few hours and there would no electronics to fail down the track and leave you stuck on the side of the road.

I would definately rather the lexus... c'mon you know i love challenges! wheres the challenge in old technology :dance:

From your shoes i can clearly see where your coming from..... you could wire it up yourself in a few hours and there would no electronics to fail down the track and leave you stuck on the side of the road.

Thats pretty much it yeah, its looks right, fits, has enuf grunt to rip a decent skid and is reliable and simple. If i was made of money i'd get hold of the 5.7L 1UZ out of the US tundra ute and supercharge it but unfortunately I'm not so chev it is.