Sr20 Conversion To Ke55 Plus Rebuild Plus Pimpage

JDM55

wow, tonnes impressed right now.

Am thinking bout the same conversion myself. So lemme get this right, ur doin all the brakin and suspension stuff to deal with the bigger power etc, so if i didnt do all this stuff, the conversion would still work, it would just be a death trap right??

cheers mate, yip you got it bigger power needs bigger braking ,well thats what the engineer wants anyway, all ready done the rear end, has a skyline lsd and disk brakes ,so no more drum ;-) and will do most of the suspention set up once its back on the ground and everythings back in so i can set the ride height i want ,, the brake conversion so far hasnt been very hard ,and yes you do need spacers theres about an 5-8 mm gap between the caliper mount and the strut , the guy who done it on toy mods used washers ,which is fine ,i just wanted something a little more tidy for my set up, more pics to come when i get the chance or check out my gallery plenty there ,cheers

Members dont see this ad
theres about an 5-8 mm gap between the caliper mount and the strut , the guy who done it on toy mods used washers

I don't mean to be a spoil sport because i like what your doing here, a very easy how to...

just for your info though, there is a reason they use washers, no engineer will pass or allow any welding of your caliper bracket.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey mate, really good write up.

I'm sure that this is going to help alot of people out, including myself.

I've still got standard brakes in my KE30 which now has a 2TC turbo in it lol.

For now i'll just upgrade to ke55 front struts and brakes, only because i've got spares. i'm assuming they're bigger.

Anyway, great job.

Well done,

Mark. :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

RECAP.....

ok well been a while since i been on here, i found once i started doing this project that ive been flat out working so havnt had realy much chance to get in a few pics and burble about them which is a shame,but any way thought id just say a few things about how ive been going and make a few comments ,first of all ive been going now for a little over 8 months now,and what ive managed to do in this time isnt to bad i think ,considering that i have a full time job that keeps me very busy,the fact that i realy only get to work on the weekends and the fact that I'm doing everything bymy self with out any help from anyone ,and yet an other fact is i took 2 months off the car to build an arcade machine for my bedroom ;-),so these things considered I'm doing fairly well with the progress,

id like to say everything has been smooth sailing so far but that would be a lie,i now have a great respect for anyone who has done this engine conversion or any real major rebuild ,ive come to apreciate how long it takes to do things properly and the effort that it takes to make things work,

so to all you guys on here ,especialy the sr20 to corolla guys , big ups from me ,and well done with your conversions,;-) ,and thanks for the pictures youve posted up ,these little things have been a great help thus far,

now to any one considering doing this particular conversion,my advice is don't,haha unless of coarse you have a)alot of money b) alot of time c) a few good friends who are willing to give you there time to do hard work on your car for little reward, d) you have some general mechanical skills or some kind of automotive skills ,or e) your quite insane and enjoy punishing your self with rediculous amounts of work .like my self haha, , but seriously if your like myself and you love your corolla and realy want to do it then ,go ahead just be ready for some work ,its not just a matter of slapping in an engine and away you go .....just my thoughts on the hole process, now

so yeah 8 months down have no idea how many more probably another 8 who knows , like i said at the start no time limit and no money ,so it takes as long as it takes, but i think i have been doing pretty good in regards to progress ,this is a full rebuild and engine conversion ,full respray and interior mission so its a major job and will take time ,but heres where I'm at with stuff::

basicly this is how things have gone from the start,

first thing,whole car gutted,stripped to the bones everything out and pulled to pieces,

i found labling things and boxing parts very helpful even thos the rolla is pretty basic it just helps to keep some orginisation in the hole thing..

shell:rust removed from the 1/4s and guards, and any where else ,there wasnt to much so i was lucky there, all areas replaced with steel and finished in bog ,then 2 pack primed,

whole shell blocked backed and fixed up any areas that wasnt happy with and reprimed the hole thing again,

engine bay:: major hours spent in the engine bay, sanded the whole thing back,welded up alot of holes , made custom made tower to fire wall braces,for engineers,removed the top radsuport panel and made it a bolt on part,cuttout a seciton in the front panel to allow more air and for a bigger radiator to be fitted later on,, ,filled alot of crappy looking areas and generaly smoothed things out , :P then hole thing 2 pack primed

panels;; all doors and bonnet /boot lid striped of all parts ,small rust repairs here and there,wasnt to bad,a bit of panel work and everything primed,ready for next stage of straighting,

inside shell:: insides all sanded back,including inside the whole boot and floor sections,welded a panel over the old gear stick hole and cut a new gearstick hole ,stone guarded inside the boot and the floor,then painted a grey colour just to finish it off,made 2 panels one for the back of the seats and 2 for the parcel shelf,also engineers required,

underneath:: made 2 new cross beams that join the sills to the chassis,also engineers required,sanded the hole underneth and cleaned ,then stoneguarded the whole underneath of the car,

wheel arches:: also done a few little repairs and sanded the hole wheel arches and stone guarded underneath the arches;-) i like stone guard ,

diff::: had a r31 skyline lsd shortened and rebuild to suit the rolla, sanded the hole thing and all the parts, including the leaf springs and underneath parts, fitted it back in with new bushes and new bolts ,

grill: done a little custom modding on the rolla grill just for something differnt, turned out ok,

dash:: modded the dash facia,and fitted a 180sx gauge cluster ,also made cuttouts for various other gauges to be fitted,,

wiring:: started to sort out my engine wiring and how to set up relays and stuff,this has probably been the hardest part so far,months spent on the net researching and asking alot of questions to alot of people, pretty much figured out most of it so getting there with that,

steering:: all steering replaced with new parts and everything painted,

engine:: now this bit is still a major work in progress , ive managed to fit the engine and custom gearbox set up, so far I'm up to 5 times in and out,getting prety good at pulling it out haha,its a very tight fit everywhere is like well frigen tight ,hope its right !! made up some engine mounts using the old rolla mounts and some celica engine mounts , ,made up a gear box mount ,but not happy with that so gota make another soon, ive modded the heater box hoses to go from the left side to the right and modded the engine heater pipes to stay on the right side ,bit of a mission but should be ok,also another requirment for roady,windscreen demister.,,,, modded the factory accell cable to fit ,

customed up the factory pedal box to take a ta22 clutch cyclinder, still not sure on this set up it should be ok, next I'm basicly going thru all the engine parts that have to be fitted be for i can start the thing, this is a hard part as money is tight as and the need for custom radiator and intercooler and piping and parts and more parts and more parts haha so its going a bit slow here,any one wanta donate???? lol didnt think so ,

any way ive done some other bits and p[ieces here and there but thats the bulk of what ive managed to do in 8 months by my self ,i will try gett some decent pics this weekend and stick em up

Edited by JDM55

• 3 weeks later...

heres a couple of pics i just finished making my air box and fitted some intake piping bends to go from the afm to the turbo, also welded in a port for the return air from the bov,nothing to exciting but back on the job now so hopefuly get some more pics as i go along

160420104585small.jpg

160420104575small.jpg

160420104571small.jpg

man this sounds like a seriously quality build, youre making some solid progress too, love your work.

cheers mate much apreciated, I'm trying haha, finding some of it a bit trying at times hoping i can pull this off by the end of the year if money permits,...

just finished of the airbox set up, all fitted and looks pretty good for a home made jobby ;-)

66112631.jpg

51042521.jpg

why not use mx63 complete struts? gives you heavier strut tube, heavier shock shaft, and they bolt straight in just use your original bearing top and spring and move the brake hose bracket

they have a completely wrong strut to stub axle angle

they have a completely wrong strut to stub axle angle

Thats strange, they bolted straight into my Ke38, used orig steering arms, No mods

this is a very early pic of my strut, disc and caliper MX63, i had changed to 5 stud at this stage but everything else cressida

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?a...st&id=18080

Edited by curly