Is There Any Way To Have A Rotary Engineered In A Ke10/ke11?

sleepy

Members dont see this ad

Whats the weight of a KE10?

Multiply that weight by '3' for a NA engine and thats the max cc's for a replacement engine. Multiply the cars weight by 2.5 for an Inducted motor.

A rotary's cc is classed as twice the swept volume of all rotors. So a 12A is 2292cc and a 13b is 2616cc.

If its over 2292 then a 12a is possible. I recall the cc of my 12a being recorded as a bit lower on the engineers certificate, so i don't know what figures or info he used.

I got knocked back on a 13b in a KE30 in VIC, but a NA 12A passed.

I wouldnt even bother with a 10a to be honest. I have seen bugger all blocks and parts for sale lately. Even the production of 12a rotors and housings have ceased. If you need new rotors and housings, you have to buy machined down items from 13b's. Pricey$$$

Edited by kangaroosa

Id be interested as to what your 12a was recorded at, as to my knowledge the KE10 weighs around 710kg.. so i would need the rotary to come in at less then 2130 according to that..

Keep the info coming .

My KE30 2 Door sedan's rego label lists it as TARE 900kg

My engineers certificate lists the engines capacity as 1964 but the measurement printed in that box (which is a generic measurement for the form) is 'ml'.

So 1964ml. I don't know if thats meant to be cc or whether they were too lazy to change the std measurement printed on the form. Or even if ml is the same as cc.....something for you to research i guess.

Its also listed as a 1974 RX3 12A motor, which in actual fact its a 1980 S1 RX7 12A motor.

So if your in VIC, go make an appointment with Enkelman & Associates. They are a VASS and did the engineering on mine.

Edited by kangaroosa

my ke10 has 760kg on the rego papers ....

Wow really? So id be able to take 2280cc then and get it engineered.

If its over 2292 then a 12a is possible. I recall the cc of my 12a being recorded as a bit lower on the engineers certificate, so i don't know what figures or info he used.

And 2292 is bloody close to that, so id love to know what the engineer had the figures down as because it may comply with that weight..

Don't even consider a 10a. Only thing you'd put one in these days is a restored, original condition R100, 10a RX3 or 110s.

...and even then it would cost you a overrated to build.

Darren - CC = Ml.

1000cc = 1lt, which is 1000ml. :P

Does it have to be the production listed weight, or actual weight?

Could always boolt some blocks of lead under the car!!! :)

Sleepy, I'm guessing from your other posts you're in NSW. More than likely any info Kangaroosa has, or that I have, probably wont be of any use.

This is from the RTA guidlines:

Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:

-Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the

vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves, oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate correctly).

Don't listen to the hearsay shit either. If you are serious, this is the best place to start:

Click here and read on.

Edited by philbey

Sleepy, I'm guessing from your other posts you're in NSW. More than likely any info Kangaroosa has, or that I have, probably wont be of any use.

Don't listen to the hearsay shit either. If you are serious, this is the best place to start:

Click here and read on.

This is exactly right. If you ring up the RTA, they will tell you the listed weight for the model you are looking at. When I was looking at KE26's, the figure that I was told was less than any of the internet quotes people were saying, so the RTA would be the place to start.

Cheers, Ian

Click here and read on.

As far as i'm aware, VIC has the same regulations as NSW now. My engineer told me (about 4 months ago) that the whole of Aus will eventually be standardised so the regulatons are identical across all states. (I think he was only referring the the capacity to weight regulations only though).

I agree whole heartedly the Sleepy's first move if he's serious is to make an appointment with a recognised engineer though.

Edited by kangaroosa

Click here and read on.

Thanks for that. I had a quick browse over that, some of it confused me but i'll go over it properly tomorrow.

But basically, going off this quote -

Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:

-Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the

vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves, oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate correctly).

Wouldnt that mean the 12A could be registered ? Lets just say roughly a KE10 is 700kg, It would allow an engine capacity of 2100cc, and plus that additional 15% it would be around 2215cc allowed, which would cover the 12A.. Yeah ?