Help With Mechanical Mumbo Jumbo...

tylerrice

tylerrice mate, you are like a fat kid in a candy shop!

seriously, people on here are more than polite with you and you need to show some respect

and return the gratitude without wasting everyones time they have kindly given to you...

you can't have v8 sound and flutter and turbo and lumpy cam and carbs and and and...

all of that for a quick visit to the local shops with a few hundred bucks and install it in 2 hours

with your local mate jimmy who owns a shifter and some random sockets...

it doesnt even make effen sense!

I have already said I don't need the V8 sound:

stuff the V8 sound, I'm getting to fussy :) lol

Also I think I have been very grateful and shown many thanks for everyone's help they have provided within their own time and if i haven't I am saying thank you so much again, the help is much appreciated. And as I have said my friend knows the ins and out of the engine work and how to rip them apart and put them back together again and all the other things, but I don't want him to come out here read to start working and all that with out me putting in some effort and trying to find out what is possible to do and what I think I want to do or it is pointless in him coming.

About Me:

money: $3000 over about 6-12 months. (may be more but that's the target)

skills: Very hands on, and always been good with technical things and fiddling.

tools: A whole car garage full of them, don't ask what that's for my dad and friend to do. (i know the odd few)

knowledge: Obviously from what items i have read in the FAQ section and what my friend knows i will hopefully learn in time.

time: Every Thursday all day, Friday, Saturday and Sunday till 2 so plenty of it.

About the car:

condition bought: Good body, motor not working, hasn't been started since January.

quality of build: All stock KE55 Coupe with 4K Engine and 4 Speed Transmission.

car use: Would like to mainly drive around and the occasional speedy drive next to someone...

performance: -------------

reliability: ------------

cost: $450

Other: If the engine wont work after a routine check up and a few tests will be picking up either a 4K or 5k from a friend that uses them in demos.

I think that's all the info....

EXACTLY!!! I believe SA doesn't allow P platers (I'm guessing you are) drive V8's...... or turbo cars. So you're also pushing shit uphill wanting a fluttery FPV sound anyway........ unless your mum drives you round it it! :y: :y:

A South Aussie please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last time I checked we have no restrictions, but that was about December last year and I have a few friends with cars with Turbos and one with a V8 supercharged but I'm not sure what they have done with the rego and what not but they drive them and have been for a couple years now. and even if there is I have a speedway track out in or paddock so if its not road legal it will be a nice place to take it for a spin up there and through the tracks there (after tuning up the suspension)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good work there, all you need to do is think about the performance and reliability factors,

with a small power motor such as the k series you can work them to produce almost

double the naturally aspirated power factor in response and hp quite cheaply but the more

its worked the more its undriveable for daily comfort.

you can use forced induction to a k series motor but only in mild form, med to high power

they generally become unreliable on stock internals but are cheap to replace as a block,

or use forged internals.

then theres motor conversions which are med to high performance in response / hp from factory

but are quite a bit of work to fit into the car. also they can be worked on top of that to extreme

performance - at a cost of money, time and research with mandatory skills, tools and knowledge.

I think the lads have given you good advice, buy a corolla manual for your car, buy the engine manual

for your engine and read these over to see what is what and how things work.

- then read the whole faq and tough k series motor guide to get educated on the performance aspects of a motor build.

- then work out what car build you want and how you are going to get there if you can.

- then ask questions about uncertainties and evolve your plan until you are happy

- get resources to do it

- away you go

- and back you come

- and away you go again

(repeat the above a few times, we all do)

- done and cheering

one critical factor you may have overlooked which happens to be the most important factor in engine builds is...

a balanced package, this means all your components and systems are matched with each other to work together.

no single component can make you engine perform better, its the combination of all matching components that

allows an engine to perform better. which means the more power you want the more the components must be closely

matched to each other to work together at that level, which means you have to do lots more research about different

components and how they work to get a balanced build that delivers the power they way you want.

and on a finishing note... hp is not everything, engine response, handling and braking often beat higher hp cars :y:

and on a finishing note... hp is not everything, engine response, handling and braking often beat higher hp cars

so true... ever heard the story of the street machine drag strip matchup of a 1500hp dyno queen and a stock camry??? yeah, camry won... there is alot to be said for usable rev range. Anyways, there are STACKS of good suggestions that have been made, so I think it's now time to do your homework young padawan...

Edited by white_sandshoe

and on a finishing note... hp is not everything, engine response, handling and braking often beat higher hp cars

so true... ever heard the story of the street machine drag strip matchup of a 1500hp dyno queen and a stock camry??? yeah, camry won... there is alot to be said for usable rev range. Anyways, there are STACKS of good suggestions that have been made, so I think it's now time to do your homework young padawan...

Yeah good point. HP is deffinately not everything. :y:

Last time I went to the drags I had the same dial in time as a brand new SS commo ute. He had what?...250+KW, I had 100KW....... But he had 1.5+ tonne, I was under a tonne. :y:

don't waste your money on a k motor

buy a 4age and t50 and bolt that in

you like revs.. a k will handle 6000-6500

a 4age will sing at 8000 all day

upgrade to a 5 speed

then drop a t series diff in it with 4.88 gears

this will give you the takeoff you require

a good ge with a decent exhaust sounds pretty good at 7500+ rpm and makes twice the hp of a k motor

if thats not enough get a 4agze and turbo it 170+ hp easilyand relatively reliably

cost

4age $250-1000

t-50 $ 100-300

t series $400-1000

4.88 gearset $600-1000

locked diff ...welder

decent exhaust with extractors $200-500

decent suspension and a brake upgrade $1200 -3500

then it will fulfil most of your expectations listed except the v8 sound

don't waste your money on a k motor

buy a 4age and t50 and bolt that in

you like revs.. a k will handle 6000-6500

a 4age will sing at 8000 all day

upgrade to a 5 speed

then drop a t series diff in it with 4.88 gears

this will give you the takeoff you require

a good ge with a decent exhaust sounds pretty good at 7500+ rpm and makes twice the hp of a k motor

if thats not enough get a 4agze and turbo it 170+ hp easilyand relatively reliably

cost

4age $250-1000

t-50 $ 100-300

t series $400-1000

4.88 gearset $600-1000

locked diff ...welder

decent exhaust with extractors $200-500

decent suspension and a brake upgrade $1200 -3500

then it will fulfil most of your expectations listed except the v8 sound

As much as that sounds good I don't have the money up front to get a new engine and all the other extras, I can only afford to keep the current one or get this other one off my friend and do the modifications to that as its only $500 max for each modification. Unless someone whats to sell me a 4age for real cheap or let me pay it back monthly or fortnightly :y: :y:

As much as that sounds good I don't have the money up front to get a new engine and all the other extras, I can only afford to keep the current one or get this other one off my friend and do the modifications to that as its only $500 max for each modification. Unless someone whats to sell me a 4age for real cheap or let me pay it back monthly or fortnightly :y: :y:

Just do cam in the 4k, make the thing rev to 8, its $150 exercise, consult Ivan Tighe in Brisbane.

ummm, yep I don't quiet understand what that is. Something to do with the camshaft maybe??

yep camshaft mate. recently there is a thread like "how to change a camshaft" have a dig around for that.

also, after spending like 4yrs doing up my car, i have a peice of advice...

do not put a dollar value on your modifications (ie your $3000)

it NEVER works out, just take it one step at a time. watching your money so you don't just go blowing cash for no reason.

forget the concept of "i have 3000 to spend to make my car faster"

start with the idea of "how can i make my car faster economically"

if that makes sense.

ive spent hours trawling through forsale sections of many many forums looking for parts, ask littleredspirit, i just sit on my wallet untill i see a bargain! then i jump on it! and hours crawling under cars at wreckers getting that rare part off the car that has just come in....its all part of the fun.

take each modification one step at a time, start small and work your way up. have an end goal yes, but start at the beginning! and it sounds like the beginning for you might be some reading on the inner workings of a pushrod motor! (k series)

if your keen send me a pm, I'm always on msn and up for a chat.

Edited by ke70dave

First step I'd undertake - find out why your car doesn't run.

Have you ever had it running? Did it stop mysteriously? Does your old man have any suggestion as to why she's not running?

You might as well see if that's an easy fix and get her going now. Also, finding this out might be critical to your future plans (for example if it's seriously stuffed, you might be better off with a new motor)