1gge Ke70

Jono.C

I'm still in the process of finding a KE70, i have decided a 1GGE is the engine i wish to fit, how much work is involved? will a new tailshaft be needed? will the t50 gearbox fit in the ke70 tunnel? also what do i do about the mounts?

Its probabily good adding that its a safe bet i will be buying a 4KC 1.3 if that alters anything

And its worth adding that my dad is a mechanic and most work will be carried out by him

Cheers

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still in the process of finding a KE70, i have decided a 1GGE is the engine i wish to fit, how much work is involved? will a new tailshaft be needed? will the t50 gearbox fit in the ke70 tunnel? also what do i do about the mounts?

Its probabily good adding that its a safe bet i will be buying a 4KC 1.3 if that alters anything

And its worth adding that my dad is a mechanic and most work will be carried out by him

Cheers

T-50 fits the ke70 tunnel(they come in the ae71's) but a 1G-GE doesn't come with a T-50, they come with getrag j160(is200) or w5# in earlier soarer/supra.

j160 is a very long but skinny box(may sit the shifter too far back, W5# are short but wide(might need some tunnel clearance) both will need new tailshafts.

mounting a 1G onto a Ke x-member would be surprisingly close, but I'd say you'd probably need to move the engine froward so you'd need fab up some engine brackets(easy to template and make once you've got the engine dummied into the bay.

ae71 would be good to get hold of, just so you get the hydraulic clutch gear.

you're dad is in for a fun time, it will be a tight fit.

Cheers

I reckon you need to rethink your plan. Just "deciding" you wish to fit an engine into a car isn't the best way to go about it, especially as its fairly obvious that you haven't done much research into the topic.

T-50 fits the ke70 tunnel(they come in the ae71's) but a 1G-GE doesn't come with a T-50, they come with getrag j160(is200) or w5# in earlier soarer/supra.

Several things - firstly the 1GGE never came out in the IS200, that was the later 1GFE. The 1GGE was in poverty-spec import Chasers/Crowns/Soarers/Supras etc back in the late 80s and early 90s. And the J160 is not a Getrag box, it is an Aisin box (the AZ6, same box as a 6-speed MX5, RX8 and 200SX). The Getrag you are thinking about is the V160, which is in JZA80 Supras and a _much_ bigger and heavier box.

so what made you decide to go with a 1gg? ke70 are even better than ae86 in the curb weight and weight distribution department. fitting a big heavy 6 and heavy gearbox in there is only going to ruin this characteristic.

What Purpose is the car going to serve? judging by your avatar i would say drifting so you will find your car is virtually impossible to turn in with that weight over the front wheels.

when it comes down to the conversion more is needed than you may think...

Diff, Gearbox, Tail Shaft, Engine Mounts, radiator, thermo fans AND

Giant hole in firewall/gearbox tunnel(if you hope to retain any of those weight characteristics that make ke70s and ae86s good)

they were never intended to take these engines so most parts will be custom jobs (putting new mounts on F series Diffs custom gearbox cross member etc)

best bet is a 4AGE, simple but effective. it isn't necessary in such light cars but if you really want more torque and power a 3SGE or 3SGTE would be the way to go although it would be as much work as the 1g to get running it would have a nicer weight balance without cutting too much out of your firewall.

Edited by Axentrik

thanks for your responses

i gethered it would be tight as my mate had a hard time fitting into his 84 celica..

i had heard they were like a 7mge which is why i starting thinking, it moves my brothers supra pretty good and it would be a different swap to the Sr20's and 4AGZE's everyone else is fitting

if the 1GGE seems a painfull idea any thoughts on an engine like a 7mge that would be to hard to fit?

Cheers

just because an engine fits in the engine bay, DOES NOT mean it fits properly.

without big modifications it will be 2 cylinders further forward than the 4 cylinder they came with.

for a blingtastic style drag racer/burnout car that wouldn't be a problem but if you want a car that actually drives properly then it certainly will.

as redwarf said 18RG are old technology, if you want to go that route just go the 3SG, being a newer engine they have a lot more aftermarket support.

Edited by Axentrik