4k Max Power

madKE35coupe

hey guys, was down at the local performance shop today. thought i might ask about mods for the trusty ol' 4k while i was there. lo and behold he had one in the shop at the time. the bloke that owns it runs it in his clubman racecar. so i asked him what kind of figures it was putting out, and believe it or not it is puttin out 160 hp normally aspirated! i had never heard of a n/a 4k with this high output before. might sound stupid but i thought you rolla nuts out there might want to hear about it :wink:

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds unlikely actually!

Getting 100bhp/litre was about the max for most race car engines before variable valve timing and variable intake length and fuel injection and... all those things that make modern engines so good.

So 130bhp from the 4K's 1300cc would be better than probably anyone on here has got, and those extra 30horses would be very hard to find.

Got any more info on the engine builders?

Edited by altezzaclub

Not to mention it not being a twin cam.

I believe the 150E got up around that on a 3K block, but we're talking a twin cam motor.

I don't think 4K's breathe well enough for that, and even if they did, I'd be doubting the half counter balanced crank and valve train would be able to keep up.

Have a read of billzilla.org. He used to race a bored 3K in his clubman and that had all the tricks. They were pushing about 130. 160 would have to be an optimistic dyno I reckon.

yeah i never thought that you could ever make that kind of power with a 4k. i was actually thinking of going and getting a full build list from the bloke that built it. i know he has put alot of wirk into it. a few of the things he mentioned was a full port and polish and titanium valves. wouldnt mind getting a quote to see how much it would actually cost to make this monster.

Nice place! So they can build V8s that will crack 100bhp/L, but you're not going to drive those on the road!

Ford GT40 5.7L gets 500bhp, that's 88bhp/litre

540cu" =8.8L for 770bhp, that's 88bhp/L

For Sale 6.3L getting 510bhp $11,000, that's 81bhp/L

Street engine 6.2L gets 565bhp, 91bhp/L

Methanol 7.4L gets 800bhp, that's 108bhp/L

V8 Supercar 5.9L gets 645bhp, that's 109bhp/L

My Altezza gets 210bhp from 2L stock, that's 105bhp/L, and shows why old pushrod motors are just not in the game these days!

I shot them an email asking what they reckon some good figures from a 4K would be, so we'll see what they say. 120bhp in a KE30/KE55 would make it absolutely fly, as they're so light!

My old ke10 had a hot 4K with 96rwhp naturally aspirated and was running through

a celica diff. So id estimate about 130hp at the flywheel, and this car was my

daily driver for four years.

So that sort of power would be a possibility but not the best for a daily driver,

although it would sound absolutely nuts

cheers Justin

So if I got this kind of work done on my 5K could I theoretically get 180-190hp?? :wink:

I would be happy to pay up to $5k for that... at a later date when I have money (though the wife would kill me :yes:).

The idea of having what looks like the standard motor in my KE10 but with that much power... :(

Edited by 67Rolla-Ken