Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Advice Needed On Daily Work Horse

Featured Replies

Hey everyone. So I'm lookin at getting a vehicle which I desperately need for a work car. But also something I can use on weekends. I think I've found a gem, but I don't know too much about them. It's a 1997 Ford Explorer with only 147xxx km's on the clock and is in absolutely immaculate condition. So if anyone can give me some insight to this vehicle, or can give me any recommendations on other work horses than please hit me up (I'm lookin at you Mr. Shades) :hmm:. My maximum price is $7000.

 

Cheers in advance

Jason

  • Replies 57
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the transfer case like to go boom thats why i call em the ford exploder

Yea they don't call them a ford exploder for nothing.

 

What are your specific needs/desires? Maybe some people can recommend something in your price range.

  • Author

Well pretty much, have a whole bunch of tools, nothing massive just a fair amount, will be carrying aluminum across the top from time to time. Plus I want it for weekend play time :y:. So a 4wd of some sort would probably be great. Hence the Ford Explorer. I was always thinkin a subaru Liberty, but might be kinda small. I would get a ute only if it had a canopy. I know, I'm fussy, :hmm:.

 

So do the transfer cases always go in them? Or were they just lemons?

Buy an old landcruiser troop carrier, Heaps of room and still 4x4 for the fun stuff.

Also heard the dash "falls out" when used on rough roads.

 

I've got an 88 troopy you can't kill

  • Author

Hmm... I am always seeing troopy's on carsales. Very common car on that site, yet you don't see heaps of them on the road. Quite odd really.

Run

 

 

Run like the f*cking wind and hope the stench of failure doesn't follow you

 

 

 

If you're heart's set on 4wd, Get an LN106 Hilux ute or LN130 4runner if you need an enclosed rear. Not fast, not luxurious, but unquestionably reliable, relatively cheap, and easy to fix when things do eventually break. Coldest aircon known to mankind as well.

go something oldschool landrover or nissan patrol

  • Author

I'm not totally set on a 4wd. Still fully open to opinions on other vehicles, eg. station wagons or utes. Like what have you owned and it has been great for work and weekends?

KE70 WAGON!

  • Author

Yea I'd throw any toyota wagon up in the woodworks. Even those AWD corolla's that came out seem alright.

holden 1 tonner HQ and up, these things are as simple as a ke30 if not simpler to work on and repair but most are rough, but if you have 7k then you could pick one up for around 1500-3000 no worries. 6cyl would be my choice V8's don't really do it for me for repair a reliability.

 

or if 4WD is a must why not 60 series cruiser you may even be able to find a sahara.

 

want a 4cyl ? why not early hilux ute 1979 onwards 2wd.

 

ford mechanics cringe when they see a explorer come in for repair :hmm: just another throw away 4wd from america, they only expect their cars to last 3 years these days.

 

cheers.

I know I'm going to get caned for this, but $7K will get you a nice VT wagon with all the mod cons. Nice to drive, parts are dirt cheap, fuel economy is not super tragic. Leave it stock and nobody will look at you twice. I've had two Commodore wagons, one was magic, and the other satisfactory. I'd put that one in the mix.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.