June 21, 201313 yr Author comment_659584 Well guys its been far to long but its time to get back onto my racer. I have finished putting the new motor in my wife's race car so its time to show mine a bit of love. My wife won her class (SS up to 1600) at last weekends Hill climb at Haunted Hills, so the motor must be ok. I am replacing the standard Corolla Borg Warner diff with an R31 Skyline one. The standard diff has served me well with only 1 failure in 15 years. and even though it was a CIG locker, I never broke 1 axle. The 28 spline R31 diff has its knockers but from the research I have done, it should be more than adequate for my 2TG. I wont go into too much detail because there is plenty of info on these conversions on the web but if someone has a specific question, feel free to ask. The standard R31 diff straight from the wreckers. The bare housing ready for removal of the brackets, After a couple of hours with an angle grinder. The difference between the old and the new. Edited June 21, 201313 yr by ausca62 Report
February 24, 20179 yr Author comment_708263 OK guys. So it's been a while with no progress. The good news is, The build is back on the agenda. Firstly the car has a new owner, "my wife" and she is keen. She has been racing her AE82 for the last few years but now wants to step up to RWD. Over the next few months we will be hitting it hard to get the thing back on the track. I have been building my new car for a while and now that it is finished it's time to get back onto the KE20. Report
February 24, 20179 yr Author comment_708265 I have gone for twice as many cylinders so the old girl has been past on to my wife. Report
February 24, 20179 yr Author comment_708266 Had Jill working hard today starting to pull the motor out. Rather than trying to work around it while fitting the new pedal box, master cylinders and brake lines, I thought it would be easier to remove the motor. The new Pedal box. Report
March 3, 20179 yr Author comment_708334 A few more bits arrive over the last few days. I will be getting on to the build soon. Rear rotors. New seat. And new master cylinders. Report
March 5, 20179 yr Author comment_708375 Ok so today we continued on the diff upgrade. We are using a Borg Warner 28 spline diff out of an R31 skyline. We used an auto one as they are lower ratio. 3.9 : 1. Finished off the mounts. And then checked the alignment. And then on to assembling the center. Report
March 5, 20179 yr Author comment_708379 Seeing as this will be my wife's new car, it makes sense that she is hands on with the build. Fitting the Mini Spool. Then fitted the center into the housing. Tension up the carrier bolts. Then added a mount for the Panhard rod. Report
March 5, 20179 yr Author comment_708380 A quick coat of paint Then re install in the car. And to finish the day off, Jill started on the interior. Stay tuned Rolla Fans. Report
March 8, 20179 yr Author comment_708422 Need bigger flare's. Not happy with these so will keep looking. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now