Anybody Want An Apprentice???

Kid-Ae

Hey fellas,

So, my heart has ALWAYS been set on being a mechanic, however, i ended up at uni this year. After today, my first day, and coming home feeling like i want to put my head through a brick wall, apprenticeship sounds 100x better.. Something i LOVE, earning while i learn and enjoying it, rather than feeling oppressed and emotionally unstable at university.

Any mechanic shops near Croydon 3136, PLEASE, take a minute to consider me for an apprenticeship. I'm willing to work my arse off and I'm itching to learn!

Peace, Sam.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

take it from a apprentice mechanic the money is realy realy shit ( 1st year $7.05h) you get treated like shit for the 1st year and a bit, even when your qualified the money is shit $20-28 a hour, best thing to do is a heavy mechanic apprenticeship, I'm looking into changing over soon.

Another idea you may consider, whilst not being directly up your alley, you could do an engineering certificate/diploma at tafe (swinburne Wantirna maybe croydon too?) while working full time, and being trained while you do so.

you'd learn welding and fabrication, hopefully which you could use in conjunction with your love of cars.

just an idea, best of luck whichever way you go.

it's more like a technical apprenticeship.

-Dave

take it from a apprentice mechanic the money is realy realy shit ( 1st year $7.05h) you get treated like shit for the 1st year and a bit, even when your qualified the money is shit $20-28 a hour, best thing to do is a heavy mechanic apprenticeship, I'm looking into changing over soon.

i work in light vehicle like vans/cars

seeing how much the diesel mechanics work makes me happy being a car mechanic

everything is HEAVY

have to work in stupid positions

everything is f@$king tight

no hoist/ etc

at my place some diesel mechanics are on $20 a hour :lolcry:

you will cop shit for your first year of your cleaning apprenticeship OOOOPS i meant mechanical :blinks:

and you'll be pushing a broom for a good time of your 1st year

Edited by Evan G

I'm not stupid, i know what goes into an apprenticeship.

Dave, i love your idea, i'll be looking into that! I'm not sure Croydon tafe does it, but heck, if it did, i could walk to tafe :blinks:

Evan, i understand completely what many apprentices cop on a daily basis, but i'd just grit my teeth and keep going. I just need to find myself a mechanic who wants to take me on (perhaps the guy i did work experience for at B&A automotive.. I actually worked, wasn't cleaning, rather enjoyable)

Ah well, suppose i just have to apply and ask around and wait. Cheers.

If only one piece of advice, let it be this.

Hobby and Interests are the same thing. Add Work into that, all 3 become separate entities.

Loosing the flame simply because of doing what you like - All the time, does suck.

Best of luck : )

If only one piece of advice, let it be this.

Hobby and Interests are the same thing. Add Work into that, all 3 become separate entities.

Loosing the flame simply because of doing what you like - All the time, does suck.

Best of luck : )

I couldn't have put it better myself. That's the very reason why I'm not a mechanic. As much as I would've love it. It would've meant that I wouldn't do it in my own time. I found that if you do something in field, eg. spray painter, then it keeps u doing what u really love doing, eg. rebuilding motors.

Hope this is a little insight for you.

LB

If you want an apprenticeship then i suggest you speak to the tafe first. Usually they have employers come in looking for apprentices that have almost finished their pre ap. See if the demand is high. If so, then jump into a pre ap and score yourself a job at the end :blinks:

Make sure you take in what people in this thread have said. I work for Toyota, I'm a second year apprentice. Trust me, it's a shite job. I was exactly like you, I thought that because it interested me I would have fun learning and working.

You will get treated like you're worth nothing, clean for ages and get burnt by everyone. Service managers and formen especially.

EDIT: Also, the pay sucks. $9.23 2nd year. Very hard to build a car on that wage.

When I started, every single person asked me why I wanted to be a mechanic. And every single person told me to change my mind and get out while I could. I should have listened to them.

But after saying all that, if you find a good place where you're treated well, and you actually get to learn then you will be happy. Most places aren't like that though.

Hope this has helped mate,

Sian

Edited by RedKE30

It's not all bad,

I'm a car nut through and through... I'm almost as bad as stu, ask anyone about having a conversation with me! Always ends up in car talk!

I wanted to be a mechanic but listened to people beforehand and decided against it, purely for the fact I love working on engines and the like and wanted to keep it that way.

Went off yo uni and had some fun but got sick of it and started looking into automotive based apps and wound up workng for one of melbournes best trimmers. 5 years down the track and I'm still lloving it, workng on bloody cool cars everyday and I'm happy to go home and work on my own gear.

What I'm saying is basically what everyone else is, don't do it because you love it unless your totaly consumed by it in all aspects. Find something else you like, there are plenty of other trades in the auto industry. And plenty that aren't that pay more!

JP

Well, ive been considering a plumbing or even a carpentry apprenticeship also, i think it would be a reasonable career choice. I know for sure uni isn't for me, especially the fact i have a two hour travel by public transport either way, and i just despise lectures, i cannot sit there for hours and attempt to take in information that is so stupidly connected, especially with the idiot who gives the lecture as he always goes off topic and i struggle to take notes and keep up, i got frustrated to the point where i left early because it just about put me in tears..

I know i can work well with my hands, i know i can use my brain rather well, too, but not when I'm being taught a whole load of gobbledy-gook..

I left school, worked in a few poorly paying, no future, crappy clerical jobs for a while. Then after about 6 years, bit the bullet and supported myself through Uni.

The time will go fast.

When you come out of it, you will be on professional graduate wages of whatever it is you do, presuming you choose a reasonable course. I love my job, am always learning, and work in a high demand area. Economic situations have no effect on my work and I would have no trouble moving if I wanted to.

It is fair to say I am now reasonably well off, work 4 days a week, and when I get the chance (kids), I can play with one of my three hobby cars.

Decisions you make now, will largely dictate where you are in 10 - 20 years time. BUT, it is never too late to make the change. A 42 year old friend, has just finished her first year out in a completely new career after going back to Uni in her late 30's.

Yes I sound like your Dad, but that's how it is.

Edited by parrot

It'd be nice if the course i got into was better than the one I'm in.

The ONLY reason I'm doing it is because its the only one i managed to JUST get into.

I'd much rather have gotten into the physical education one i applied for, but now I'm stuck doing things that do not interest me/i cannot fathom. Gah, worst case scenario, i go do a personal training course at a private institute and become a personal trainer, that IS something i enjoy.

I may also go mad soon and shoot myself.

I can't cope with the strain of 16 hours of commuting a week, it ruins me both physically and emotionally. Pretty weak eh?

Pfft, women, i have a girlfriend who is more than enough eye candy for me.

I'm filling out a deferment form now and will see what happens. Then off to look for apprenticeships from a few places.