Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

7Agte 20V Blacktop

Featured Replies

  • Author

Just a little update of what I have been up to.

 

Now I know that that this will not achieve anything, but I am doing it because I can and in the mean time I am saving funds for the motor build.

 

First I gave the casting a bit of a clean up with the die grinder.

 

 

post-10153-090376600 1288784200_thumb.jpg

 

 

Then I used some different size diameters and grit grade of flappy wheels with an extended shaft length so I could reach deep into the block.

 

 

post-10153-069964000 1288784315_thumb.jpg

 

 

This was used to clean up the cast marks even more.

 

 

post-10153-062213400 1288784357_thumb.jpg

 

 

Next it was out with the wet and dry to make it all smooth. (will have to find a picture)

 

 

All up with an hour here and there it would have been about 16 hours.

  • Replies 334
  • Views 720.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • _FNQ_rolla_
    _FNQ_rolla_

    Ok, some more pics for you all.   Dash is nearly all stripped out (going to total rewire everything as I am fussy at what I do)       Filling in the cracks in the dash pad       I used a

  • _FNQ_rolla_
    _FNQ_rolla_

    Hi there, The motor only has done 350kms and I have already done an oil change so it was off to the rollers for a tune (I really did not like driving it with the base tune).   We only took the boos

Posted Images

  • Author

Another update.

 

I am a slack when it comes to posting.

 

I have been polishing my crank for over 6 months :P and I finally finished in September.

 

You know the deal, you start of with the rough stuff and work your way down to the smooth stuff.

 

And again I know this will not amount to anything, but I have just because I can.

 

Anyway hare are some pictures.

 

Things I have used

 

5 and 7 inch flappy wheels (that went onto a 9 inch grinder) and various sizes of small flappy wheels for a drill and some small die grinder sanding drums.

 

 

post-10153-008181300 1288866157_thumb.jpg

 

 

This is the crank I started with

 

 

post-10153-059101800 1288866199_thumb.jpg

 

 

Next I raped some tape around the journals and then taped on some old bearings (I did not want to nick the main or conrod bearing surface on the crank).

 

Some early progression (at this stage I was thinking what have I got myself into)

 

 

post-10153-079679100 1288866255_thumb.jpg

 

 

post-10153-020312800 1288866287_thumb.jpg

 

 

post-10153-057317400 1288866337_thumb.jpg

 

 

As time progressed it was looking a little better.

 

 

post-10153-049888200 1288865653_thumb.jpg

 

 

post-10153-036949500 1288865680_thumb.jpg

 

 

post-10153-085729500 1288865714_thumb.jpg

 

 

post-10153-014570500 1288865754_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

Semi finished

 

 

post-10153-067927700 1288865796_thumb.jpg

 

 

Comparing the cranks (polished to rough cast)

 

 

post-10153-044882800 1288865837_thumb.jpg

 

 

Polishing is finished

 

 

post-10153-021619000 1288865889_thumb.jpg

 

 

post-10153-041860500 1288865937_thumb.jpg

 

 

post-10153-056211600 1288865973_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

This was done over 6 months or so, with an hour here and an hour there, I was in no hurry.

 

You may ask why and my answer is “because I can”.

 

 

A few weeks back I received some goodies while the Aussie Dollar is going good.

 

Conrods to suit

 

Pistons

 

Flywheel (a little bit lighter)

 

ARP stud kit

 

Now all of the above, block and crank with the goodies have been sent off to Sydney for a little bit of machining.

 

 

The block, crank and goodies are undergoing;

 

Deck block

Line hoan mains

Torque plate bore

Linish crank

Balancing all the rotating mass

 

I hope to have all of this back before Christmas

i ask then if you've gone to the trouble of polishing the crank then why not get it knife edged as well?

i was also thinking why you didnt knife edge it?

 

any real benifits of polishing it all?

 

you gonna install a clear window section on the sump :P :lol:

the polishing will promote smooth oil flow.. better for building up revs but this is mainly on full race engines.

  • Author

i ask then if you've gone to the trouble of polishing the crank then why not get it knife edged as well?

 

Are you serious!

 

Its one thing to polish the crank counter weights in the back yard, but to “knife edge” a crank come on!

 

 

Sure I could set it up in a 4 jaw chuck on a lathe (or the CNC) but there are many factors that have to be considered

 

1. Have an even radius on all of the rotating counter weights

2. Or to even to attempt to put a leading knife edge on the rotating counter weight

 

Its not just get a grinder out and put an edge on a crank.

 

Not to mention there are other factors like static and the dynamic balance.

 

I hope that anyone who reads this understands that you DO NOT take to a crank and put a knife edge on a crank in the back yard and think you will have some extra benefit.

 

All I have done is just removed the rough casting and polished it (to help with the removal of the parasite oil that hangs to the rotating crank.

 

Sorry mate, nothing against you, BUT I DO NOT want anyone to ruin a good crank by trying to put a knife edge on a crank.

  • Author

you gonna install a clear window section on the sump :P :lol:

 

 

Hey I would love to have a clear window sump to show of what I have done, but at the end of the day like I said “I did it because I can”

  • Author

the polishing will promote smooth oil flow.. better for building up revs but this is mainly on full race engines.

 

Well stay tuned !

  • Author

don't forget to balance it again.

 

Trust me, everything that rotates between the crankshaft pulley (conrods and pistons) to the flywheel is being balanced

i didn't mean you do it... i meant get your machinist to do it... it wasn't on your to do list.

  • Author

i didn't mean you do it... i meant get your machinist to do it... it wasn't on your to do list.

 

 

Yeah your right, it’s not on my “to do list” as I am not interested in knife edging this crank and I polished it “because I can” in the back yard.

 

 

Ok

 

Let’s just say I did want to “knife edge” the crank then there would have been a different process;

 

1. Firstly I would have sent the crank south to be “knife edged” then it would have to be balanced and then sent back (so freight down and back up).

 

 

2. Then I would have to remove the rough casting on the remanding parts of the counter weights by sanded them out to a polished finish that I want (I am a fussy bastard when it comes to my engine standards).

 

 

3. Then I would have to pay a second lot of freight (down then back) to balance all the rotating mass.

 

(Now a machining shop might polish a crank to this standard and if they did I could not afford the labour time for them to polish it, I spent over 200 hours or more. So lets say a machine shop was to charge $88 per hour and lets say it would take 100hours to polish the remanding rough casting off the counter weight, it would cost $ 8 800 ).

 

As I said I polished it “because I can” and I am not interested in knife edging it.

FNQ,

mate your car looks awesome!!

I love the Weld Pro Stars.

keep those pics coming!

 

Mark

  • 3 months later...
  • Author

Well all I can say is a lot has NOT been happening with my KE35, as it has been my daily for the last 3 months, but during this time I have been acquiring some more bits and pieces.

 

I am looking at putting some aftermarket gauges into a modified dash panel similar to what Greenmac80 has done.

Picture taken from Greenmac80’s thread

post-10153-032674900 1298172542_thumb.jpg

 

I’ve been thinking about getting an Autometer speedometer electronic programmable gauge.

post-10153-036165000 1298172579_thumb.jpg

 

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3137&sid=-1

 

Now my question is has anyone set up one of these onto a “W” series gearbox and do the “W” series gearbox have the an option of having a factory installed sine wave 2 wire sender on their speedo output. There is an option of buying a “Hall-effect sender that will make this speedo work but I would like to keep most things Toyota if possible.

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

WoW,

 

Car of the year

 

I did not even realise that I was nominated for “Car of the year” ….. Thank you "Undertaker_is_the_best", but in my opinion it is not up to that standard.

 

I might have it finished by the end of this year.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.