Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Silver Ke 50

Featured Replies

  • Author

On the last cruise, I thought I'd get away with it. I gave the humpback the "garage" spray to get rid of the surface rust, not mention it, who would notice?

 

All the eagle eyes did. Imperfections a plenty.

 

Here are the results.

 

Boo

post-9793-068327500 1287659426_thumb.jpg

post-9793-010265700 1287659495_thumb.jpg

post-9793-021750700 1287659555_thumb.jpg

post-9793-054951400 1287659675_thumb.jpg

post-9793-011092900 1287659766_thumb.jpg

  • Replies 117
  • Views 89.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow i love it, ive never seen one before either

 

id be keen to buy if one pops up in sydney tho

  • 5 weeks later...
  • Author

Oh the joy.

 

Took the humpback to a friend/auto elec who does air cond. Asked him if we could reserect the A/C and left the hump back with him for a few hours.

 

He vacced it out, put a heap of oil in the pump, hand turned it over to lube it up, put some gas in and tested it. When I came back he said, good news and bad news.

 

Good news. The A/C is tight. Holds pressure, all mechanicals work and is super cold. Fridge cold, amazingly cold.

 

Bad news. The rotary switch that controls the A/C is rooted. Actually the computer that controls it. Yes you heard right, a computer in a '77 'rolla with a carby and points. He found it weird enough to call the apprentice over, and demo it to him. It's not everyday you get a '77 POS Toyota in the shop with a computer controlled A/C!

 

Plan is to take back Wednesday and fit a simple, mechanical type switch/thermostat to the A/C and I can spend the summer in "no power" A/C bliss.

 

Also mentioned, the receiver/dryer has flare fittings, not o-rings. Super uncommon and not likely to be available. A usual replacement on a A/C fix.

 

But if it ain't broken, don't fix it!

 

Boo

  • Author

Stroking my own chain....

 

It went back last wednesday and got A/C controls fitted.

 

Before it went I fixed the heater tap (seal inside had gone) and fitted an A/C button-switch from a 78 crown.

 

Drove home in shorts and thongs and couldn't feel my feet,it's F...... cold!

 

Got out and opened the bonnet. Condensation on the A/C pipes on a 30 degree day, after a half hour drive.

 

Looking forward to summer.

 

Nobbler, pencil me for the GOR cruise.

 

Guaranteed to be the slowest & the coldest!

 

Boo

good to hear you got the aircon going its such a luxury in a old ke corolla haha

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Bought a magazine off e-bay. Features the new liftback 'rolla. Ah 1976. Also came with a bonus KE30 ad on the back page. So Dave has come to the rescue yet again and sold me the rims off the T18 he wrecked. This ad confirms they are the stock rim for my humpback. o Plan is to clean 'em up, get the colour paint matched, give them the patented Bamboo backyard respray, fit some tyres(Dave and his skids) and have an even more stock/ugly KE50. WITH WORKING A/C!! :)

post-9793-091304900 1291459013_thumb.jpg

post-9793-014914500 1291459101_thumb.jpg

post-9793-000495600 1291459270_thumb.jpg

post-9793-017631400 1291459467_thumb.jpg

post-9793-022393400 1291459687_thumb.jpg

post-9793-015634300 1291459756_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bamboo

go black lip with silver centre or just full silver with chrome rims ftw

 

lmao look at the guy pretending to be comftable in the back of a ke50 lmao!

 

bens gonna crack a fat over this!

go black lip with silver centre or just full silver with chrome rims ftw

 

lmao look at the guy pretending to be comftable in the back of a ke50 lmao!

 

bens gonna crack a fat over this!

Well well well, that is one magazine I don't have that features a ke50! I have motormanual, modern motor and wheels in black and white from 74 to 81 featuring the earliest ke30 to the last ke55! so seeing this is quite exciting! Evan you don't have to be so graphic :laff:

 

**I'll see what I can find in my archives :wink:**

  • Author

Well well well, that is one magazine I don't have that features a ke50! I have motormanual, modern motor and wheels in black and white from 74 to 81 featuring the earliest ke30 to the last ke55! so seeing this is quite exciting! Evan you don't have to be so graphic :laff:

 

**I'll see what I can find in my archives :wink:**

 

Ben, if you've got more KE50 pics, please post them.

 

Got a heap of winfield blue ads to go with it! :lolcry:

Boo, Ive got windfields with Hoges, Peter Styvansent, Camel, John Player Special with the JPS BMW....

From my understanding that ke50 with those wheels must have been for the Japenese market as it was sent to Aus for evaluation "as is" When these cars were sent imported in numbers they were fitted with the run of the mill Corolla rims. Motor did mention that the car may be dressed down visually to suit the Aus spec. Anyway here is a picture from a brochure to give you an idea.

S5003860.jpg

 

Here are some quick snaps in relevance to this subject. This on the floor is only the beginning, the folder in the top rh corner is packed full of as new brochures along with the ones on the floor in the plastic packets.S5003857.jpg

 

S5003863.jpg

 

And more material in the plastic tub, glovebox manuals on the left in the dealer wallets and some without. Then more magazines under those brochures on the other half of the tub. Again, I have another two tubs with magazines - qhich are in my cupboard and then another 30+kg stack in the office.

 

Here Evan, looks familiar \/\/\/\/ :hmm: don't get too excited. :lolcry:

S5003862.jpg

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

  • Author

Ben

 

That makes sense.

 

Mine came with stock 'rolla wheels. The only difference was the centre caps had light blue paint around the "T". Not the standard red/black.

 

So I'm super happy with my latest purchase.

 

Thanks for posting up the pics.

 

Boo

Ben

 

That makes sense.

 

Mine came with stock 'rolla wheels. The only difference was the centre caps had light blue paint around the "T". Not the standard red/black.

 

So I'm super happy with my latest purchase.

 

Thanks for posting up the pics.

 

Boo

 

The centre caps with the light blue surrounding the T would have been those heavy chrome caps with the prongs that resemble spider legs that featured on the early "one piece dash" ke30 and early model ke50. I have one like that, and another identical one with the red thats faded also... Too many variations which makes it so interesting.

 

I'd be happy with the magazine and wheels too :yes: Good work, Thats why I like collecting this stuff as it comes in handy in times like these.

 

So are you painting the wheels the original colour?

  • Author

Of course they'll be the original colour!

 

On the corner of Blackburn & Dandy road there is a paint shop. The guy is a great colour match!

 

I plan on getting a litre of colour, & spraying them!

 

I can't help it!

 

Stock is cool!

 

Thanks again ben for the pics

 

Boo

^Complete Auto paints. he matched my mate's buttermilk orange ms65 nicely :)

 

 

 

lmao look at the guy pretending to be comftable in the back of a ke50 lmao!

 

bens gonna crack a fat over this!

 

Hahah!

This is awesome shizzle. Boo, you have make it as low as the red one in the mag you have when it's going around the corner. Would look sweet :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.