Silver Ke 50

Bamboo

UPDATE!!!

The humpback is on the road. Another 70's Toyota back from the dead! I transferred the plates from the hard top. Looks like my brother will have the spanking plates!

Just sorting out the little stuff (like actually paying for spark plugs and not using whatever was laying around!)and ready for the Arthurs Seat thing. Looks like my brother might come too in the hardtop.

Oh and as for the discussion on vicroads. went to Oakleigh today, No Probs.

If you want bad, try Frankston. They have caused me some grief in the past!!!

Edited by Bamboo

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATE!!!

The humpback is on the road. Another 70's Toyota back from the dead! I transferred the plates from the hard top. Looks like my brother will have the spanking plates!

Just sorting out the little stuff (like actually paying for spark plugs and not using whatever was laying around!)and ready for the Arthurs Seat thing. Looks like my brother might come too in the hardtop.

Oh and as for the discussion on vicroads. went to Oakleigh today, No Probs.

If you want bad, try Frankston. They have caused my some grief in the past!!!

Congratulations Boo,

Another Corolla doing what it was made to do, be driven and enjoyed. :)

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

I don't think I'll get an answer, but I'll put it out there anywayz!

The 50 handles sooo much better than my 35. I think that the suspension is set up for a 2tc..so the k engine is not stretching it. Anyone know the suspension specs between a KE35 & KE50?

Not really that worried. Just love the fact it corners FLAT.

Look out Arthurs seat!!

Boo

Hahahaha. Challenge accepted*

*I or any of my counterparts do not in any way, shape or form condone the testing and comparing of vehicles (such as old corollas) on public roads (such as arthurs seat). :)

Lol can't wait for the cruise.

Edited by 78_7kRolla

Took the Humpback out today on a shopping excursion with Mrs Bamboo.

Some of the comments she made over the course of the day.

It's not really fast, is it?

I think the orange one looked better

The heater is good. ( I spent a lot of time fixing controls and the tap to get it perfect, this is Melbourne!)

What's that smell?

My brother said the same thing this morning. The car has been locked in a shed for 4 years, and it's a 33 year old car. I have pulled the interior out and gernied it all. Still there is that FUNK of BO/CIGS/FARTS etc. Can't put a name to it, it just smells. As my brother said, it's not even good old car smell. More dirty, chickeny!

I went to a candle type shop. I didn't even know about these places. They sold me some odour things that go in the ashtray. So now it's half seabreeze and half FUNK.

I've got new carpets and seats to go in. I hope that cures it!!! :yes:

Still, its running well and a nice drive. The hatch is already super handy.

I cleaned the heads on the tape deck. It's been along time since I've done that. Found some old tapes. Crystal clear..for a tape. Got that stereo sound!!

One last comment. It's 2010...why are you still tuning radios with a dial!!

Edited by Bamboo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, like a lot of other Victorians, I spent the day getting the humpback ready for the Arthurs seat cruise.

Ever since I got it on the road it's had a "strange" idle. Up down and all over the shop. Also lacked acceleration, for a 4k :dance:

First highway trip caused it to idle at 1500 rpm. Around town it was anywhere between 800 - 1500 rpm. Every traffic light was different. and fuel economy was shit. I consulted the bamboo memory banks and thought...Vac advance. I popped off the dizzy cap, got a length of vac hose, connected it to the advance, sucked and low and behold, advance wasn't moving.

This was the original denso dizzy that came with the car. I checked the Bosch dizzy that came with the 4k (thanks Dave) and it was good. Quick swap, adjust the tappets and it's a new car. I now have unleashed at least one more horse!

Time to save the pennies and get an electronic dizzy. Will endeavour to make it look stock and fit a single pipe vac advance.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Boo

Well, like a lot of other Victorians, I spent the day getting the humpback ready for the Arthurs seat cruise.

Ever since I got it on the road it's had a "strange" idle. Up down and all over the shop. Also lacked acceleration, for a 4k :dance:

First highway trip caused it to idle at 1500 rpm. Around town it was anywhere between 800 - 1500 rpm. Every traffic light was different. and fuel economy was shit. I consulted the bamboo memory banks and thought...Vac advance. I popped off the dizzy cap, got a length of vac hose, connected it to the advance, sucked and low and behold, advance wasn't moving.

This was the original denso dizzy that came with the car. I checked the Bosch dizzy that came with the 4k (thanks Dave) and it was good. Quick swap, adjust the tappets and it's a new car. I now have unleashed at least one more horse!

Time to save the pennies and get an electronic dizzy. Will endeavour to make it look stock and fit a single pipe vac advance.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Boo

had the same problem with mine after the rebuild!

the "dash pot" was holding the butterflies open and randomly. so i put a decent spring on so it would hold the idle down, same shit

so i ripped the f@$ker off! and now it doesnt idle when cold but when hot she purrrsss on 800rpm

i had it on 10 degrees adv, shit fuel economy ran outta puff around 4 grand with 98 octane.

filled it with 95 and bumped the timing up to 15 and i noticed the difference straight away!

Hey mate if you wanna get rid of the smell put some bicarbonate soda on a bread plate and spread it out so there is plenty of surface area.

Leave it in the car overnight and it'll soak up all the bad smell. Maybe chuck one in the boot as well.

If that doesn't work sprinkle it over all the upholstery and leave it for half an hour and vacuum off.

It's worked for me before but sometimes bad smells just are in old cars.

Benefits of the missus watching those crap "How clean is your house" shows.

EDIT: you can use baking soda too. Here's a link to its awesome smell killing powers. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-some-odor...baking-soda.htm

Edited by blzbub666

Hey mate if you wanna get rid of the smell put some bicarbonate soda on a bread plate and spread it out so there is plenty of surface area.

Leave it in the car overnight and it'll soak up all the bad smell. Maybe chuck one in the boot as well.

It's worked for me before but sometimes bad smells just are in old cars.

Benefits of the missus watching those crap "How clean is your house" shows.

EDIT: you can use baking soda too.

Nice. I've used bi carb to get rid of smells in fridges before. i completely forgot. I'll try that next. I am hoping when it gets above 10 degrees, I can roll the the windows down and some warmth can bake it out. i'm jealous of your weather!!

Thanks RO 81,

It's the reason I bought it. Very 70's and unknown. It isn't very special, just a 2 door wagon/liftback or as I like to think a HUMPBACK!

I've seen one other kicking around in my suburb. Now I challenge you! If you see one, let me know, 'cause body parts are a bitch.

Mechanics are straight ke30/55.

Boo

• 2 weeks later...

The latest!

Been using the humpback as a DAILY. Apart from the fact I can't get the clutch pedal to stop squeaking, it's faultless. Not fast, but it's the most unique car on my 60km a day return trip from the 'burbs to the city.

Now just waiting for it to warm up so I can give it a "driveway" spray job.

Also picked up an 1980's Ferris equaliser to wire in series behind the dash to boost that 1977 stereo sound.

Photos to follow.

Boo