Coilovers Legal?

Members dont see this ad

NRMA covered mine for 3rd party property and fire and theft, just they didn't know about it being sacked on the ground, bodykit, stereo, seats, steering wheel, and the locked diff but hay who cares it was covered

NRMA covered mine for 3rd party property and fire and theft, just they didn't know about it being sacked on the ground, bodykit, stereo, seats, steering wheel, and the locked diff but hay who cares it was covered

so from what you describe, it was not covered at all.

in the event of an accident, they would have inspected your car, and found all these things, and i doubt you would have been covered, especailly with that locked diff.

No, the rule, un der the "simple modifications" category is this:

The welding, chrome plating, heating or bending of

axles, suspension or steering components, as a method

of repair or alteration, is not permitted.

Verbatim from HERE

To me that says you can't use weld on coilovers. Nothing specific about bolt in coilovers but if you met the bump stop and other clearance requirements (height, shock stroke, captive springs) then you'll be less likely to get nailed.

i thought the rule was you couldnt weld any forged or cast suspension parts?

that's the nsw law.

NSW guidelines for light vehicle modifications.. THIS IS NSW ONLY......

the following suspension modifications are NOT acceptable.

.. welding forged components such as stubaxles or control arms.

.. fitting longer, non standard shackles to leaf springs.

..fitting any aditional components or altering the suspension so that the wheels or tyres contact with any component under full range of suspension

or steering travel..

..fitting any additional components or altering the suspension ride height so that any part of the vehicle other then a wheel or tyre can contact the road

in the event of a tyre deflation..

.. if major changes to the suspension ( such as substitution of a non standard front crossmember ) are carried out,they should be done under

the strict guidance of an engineering signatory..

if anyone want's to have a read of the nsw engineering laws here they are..

vsi_06___guidelines_for_light_vehicle_modifications_nov_2007.pdf

the only real way to answer this question is to speak with an engineer.

my mate signs off stuff for me, and i told him about my proposed setup (86 strut, shortened, with welded on sleeve) and although he hasnt signed off on it yet (its not complete) he didnt jump out and say "you can't weld that".

also just reading the post above me, there is a very big difference between welding a forged/cast component (such as a steering arm) and welding a strut, which is just a piece of ~50mm pipe. considering the strut is originally welded from factory.

if a mini truck can get engineering for modifying the complete rear chassis (chassis hoops so the diff can go further up etc) then i would think that a simple weld job on a strut could be "legal"

it all comes down to what the engineer thinks is safe and fits in with the code.

Edited by ke70dave

i believe can't weld suspension parts in the ncop refers to cast items and cutting & shutting of parts,

from an engineering viewpoint diy coilovers should be okay but can require height restrictions on sleeves to pass...

Edited by styler