Cannon Vs Sports Exhaust??

rollake70

hey guys ive got my standard exhaust with a cannon on and it sounds a wonder i just love it

-its got quite a bit of backfire

-doesnt sound shit for a cannon actually sounds relly good and loud !!

But ive ordered extractors and am going to get a 2" system with a sports exhaust

MY QUESTION IS-

will it still sound good??

i love the cannon and if the sports exhaust wont sound as good or good at all then I'm pulling out on the booking with muffler fit

has anyone out there got extractors on the 4kc with a sports exhaust like what i want bcz I'm not sure if its going to be what i want??

Members dont see this ad

Well I thought getting a "sports exhaust" would could consist of a set of tuned lenght extractors which is connected up to a two inch system that meets with a resonator/hotdog where after that there is a proper "sports muffler" i.e lukey, redback and the like who make reputable brands of sports systems for most cars.

In the above comment you said you buy a sports exhaust and extractors, why not ask request to see what sports mufflers they have to suit? Even though you like the cannon, you said its qiute loud and you can hear every little back fire. Cannons are for noise. If you want a nice sublte sound thats stand out without crying for attention just go for a decent system as you thought you would do. :lol:

Another member BLZBUB666 also has a ke70 with a similiar set up to yours, not the same and he's having issues with noise entering car from the suspect cannon.

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

For a couple years i have been running a 2 inch exhaust system one louvered bullet or hotdog for you Aussies and another perforated bullet at the rear with a big dump tip welded on the end of that. Sounded great and was not too loud. I build exhausts for a living and i am not a fan of the big chrome dumpy mufflers. In my experience it is very hard to get them sounding nice but then again it depends what your opinion of sounding good is.

Cheers

Phil

Go with the 2" sports exhaust. Would be good if you were going to put a 5K or 4age later on.

With my 5K, I had extractors ->hotdog->redback muffler. Had a deep sounding note, not real loud, did drone a bit at highway speed, but not bad. Now, with the 3TC it's really loud, with drone/echo at the boot area.

yeh thanks for that guys myne atm with the cannon DRONES BAD! lol vibrates the whole car even the corin in the ashtray shake, but the fact is that its fun to have a loud car but I'm thinking more towards the performance now will there be much diff with the extractors and sports exhaust???

plus cannons look tacky cheap shit to make ur shitbox a bit better but yeh

I'm guessing you are about 18 yeah?? Piss off the poofter cannon, cos people like me laugh at things like that, you can get a decent 1.75'' or 2'' exhaust installed with a cat, and muffler/mufflers for f@$k all, and you wont be embaressing yourself.

If it's performance you're after go for the sports system minus the cannon. If you're with a stock/mild 4k 1.75" is the biggest you should go. 2" is a little too much. I have a 2" sports system in my KE70 with a 5K. It sounds cool, but at the end of the day I wish I had gone with a 1.75" just because mine is a little on the loud side. Long highway driving is a bit of a bad experience. You'll realise that unless you're doing this to a track car, practicality is greater than trying to get maximum cool factor or those few extra horses. By all means a sports exhaust is a great idea (way better than a cannon)m but not to race car spec for a daily.

To go on a little further, I just bought a subaru wagon (the older ones), which has a sports exhaust on it. It's hardly noticeable at idle, subtle at regular and highway driving and it only really gets louder when you plant it. It's brilliant! Everyone still comments on how it sounds nice, but it's never too loud. Being a young person there are times I wish my KE70 were a little quieter.

I had a 1 7/8 inch on my KE55 when I had the stock 4k and a 2inch when I had my worked 7k. Neither was super loud which is good (as you don't want to piss off your neighbours too much) but both still sounded great. You want to go for a nice sound over shear volume.

I've got a 2inch sports exhaust with extractors on my 20v AE86 and it sounds great (little loud and low sometimes though).

Overall though yours should sound fine.

It depends on the actual muffler, both design and manufacturing. There are ways of getting high flow volumes through a muffler that will silence well, that's in the design. Overlaid on that is getting the noise out of the back pipe without letting it through the muffler walls, and that depends on how they build the walls and how thick the metal is.

The backfirings not good for the engine, you'd want to eliminate that if you can. That's what the resonator under the passenger's seat is meant to do. I've run the extractors into a 2" pipe and a 2" resonator, but then back into the stock system until I get around to building or buying 1&3/4" for the rest.

Here's that muffler comparison that shows the different types- you've probably seen it.

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=0383&P=1

Phithy, have you got any comments on particular brands/models that work well without being straight-throughs? I'd like another one like my L-Sportline or have it copied, its quietish but deep sounding and takes out nearly all the characteristic Altezza rasp.