How To Wire A 5k Electronic Distributor.

KE20rollabus

Okay since I searched and found no info for people how to wire up a 5k electronic distributor I thought id make a topic to tell users.

This is on my ke20 corolla so some things may be slightly different between models

The 5k distributor is a pulse generating type with in built ignitor (ignition module). There is a two pin toyota connector with a black wire (negative) and a black with orange tracer (posative).

Remove your old points distribtor, the 4mm black wire going to the distributor points is connected to the black wire on the two pin plug (this is negative switching for your coil). Connect the black with orange tracer to the posative side of your coil.

note if you have a ballist resistor on your coil you will need to change it to a 12v non resistor coil (I used a Gt40 coil), so disconnect the wire from the loom at the bottom of your ballast resistor and go straight to the + of your coil.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i reckon your timing is one tooth out

this isnt possible, cylinder 1 was on TDC and rotor button was on 1 firing.

i think i can give it more dwell therefore i could possibly throw off the timing.

• 3 months later...

note if you have a ballist resistor on your coil you will need to change it to a 12v non resistor coil (I used a Gt40 coil), so disconnect the wire from the loom at the bottom of your ballast resistor and go straight to the + of your coil.

Dig Dig Digging.

This is a good thread, I'm about to change coils on my 5K. I have the same internal ignitor 5K dizzy, and I've bought a GT40 coil (resin filled type) for the car.

BUT! The bosch catalogue shows that I needed a GT40R which requires a resistor, and that's what I've bought. I don't currently have a ballast resistor. This has me confused, I now have 2 options: buy a ballast resistor and fit it to this coil, or get the Non-resistor coil and just run that (preffered option).

Is there any particular preference either way? Med Man?

And adding to that, these GT40 coils have "for Points ignition only" written all over them, but this is the exact unit Bosch recommend.... WTF?

Dig Dig Digging.

This is a good thread, I'm about to change coils on my 5K. I have the same internal ignitor 5K dizzy, and I've bought a GT40 coil (resin filled type) for the car.

BUT! The bosch catalogue shows that I needed a GT40R which requires a resistor, and that's what I've bought. I don't currently have a ballast resistor. This has me confused, I now have 2 options: buy a ballast resistor and fit it to this coil, or get the Non-resistor coil and just run that (preffered option).

Is there any particular preference either way? Med Man?

And adding to that, these GT40 coils have "for Points ignition only" written all over them, but this is the exact unit Bosch recommend.... WTF?

On my old 5K, I just ran a 'scorcher' coil suited for electronic ignitions that i puchased from Performance Ignition Services from memory. It didnt have a bolt on resistor. Was just a basic black cylindrical coil and i never had any ignition issues.

Yeh that's what I was erring towards anyway, I've since discovered that the KE1x never ran a ballast resistor, so the coil I'm running is the stock one. It's been fine with my elec dizzy. It would appear that the KM36 liteace had one hence the confusion with the Bosch catalogue.

Any advantage to fitting a ballast resistor? Easier starting etc?

Are these GT40's alright or not, it would appear people have trouble with them failing, I suspect due to using the wrong unit without resistors etc?

And finally, any major difference to the Can style GT40 and the resin filled style? I might get the can one now that I'm returning this one.

Any advantage to fitting a ballast resistor? Easier starting etc?

BR's just drop the "on" power to 6-8v. I think it might have something to do with burning out points quicker at 12v.

The starting advantage comes from the 12v direct "start" power, which is only for a few seconds.

Are these GT40's alright or not, it would appear people have trouble with them failing, I suspect due to using the wrong unit without resistors etc?

Yeah mate, they're bosch and would have to be one of the most commonly used coils around.

The failure would be due to people using a GT40 WITH a BR, or a GT40R WITHOUT a BR.

And finally, any major difference to the Can style GT40 and the resin filled style? I might get the can one now that I'm returning this one.

Not much that I'm aware of. Maybe you can take note of some specs of each, output voltage etc.