Gjm85'S Ke20 Build

GJM85

Little more stuff. ADRAD ke30-70 radiator, 13psi cap, top radiator hose and a Gates fan belt. I've fitted the high flow thermostat so hopefully should cool things down.

Radiator will require adapter plates. The core is 30mm taller and 20mm wider. Bolt pattern is 475 x 180mm. Original is 460 x 200mm.

post-8643-0-47368400-1417775209_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

I decided to fit the electronic distributor and see if it would work with the Streetfire cdi. It didn't. I think I need some kind of msd adapter.

So I removed cdi and went back to just the Bosch MEC723 coil and electronic distributor. It runs great, but there's now another problem. The fuel pumps runs off the gas switch which is activated by the positive coil terminal. The voltage drop on the Bosch coil is so bad it shuts off fuel pump above 4000rpm and she runs outta sniff.

Ain't that a kick in the pants.

So I did some reading last night and I believe the coil is the wrong one for the k series electronic distributor and is a prime example of the differences in transistor coils.

Primary resistance is 1.1ohms and secondary is 8.4kohms. This low resistance means the coil needs very little dwell time and a very high current draw. The down side is output drops away very quickly as rpm increases. The LPG switch senses the rapid drop in voltage and cuts the fuel pump.

So I went back to the Bosch GT40 with a primary resistance of 3ohms and a secondary of 17 kohms. This has fixed fuel pump issue.

The question is, does the k series electronic distributor (internal or external igniter) come with a resistor type coil as standard?

So can you say jackass?

Radiator is awesome. No questions about that.

When I was fitting the gt40 coil after having troubles with the mec723 I noticed I'd fitted the gas switch wire to the positive coil terminal. Wrong....

Fitted the mec723 last night and redid all the wiring and she's a goer.

Big differences are being seen now with the electronic distributor, radiator, front and rear suspension.

The gearbox is nearly ready, as is the head and flywheel....

Bring on the Christmas break.

Stoned on the way to work this morning. Original glass. I spent 3 hours on the side of the road trying to get a tow truck. In the end I bit the bullet. I pushed the glass and drove it home. What choice was left?

I spent the rest of the day stripping the dash and front interior to clean all the glass. New windscreen to be fitted on Tuesday.

post-8643-0-03170900-1418287481_thumb.jpgpost-8643-0-98766800-1418291759_thumb.jpg

Picked up the gearbox today. Full rebuild with new synchros, bearings and seals. The cluster shaft was apparently shagged so it had to be machined down and fitted with a hardened sleeve. So it should be like a brand new one.

Total cost was $1150

post-8643-0-03771700-1418643309_thumb.jpg

In other news it looks like Yatala Headworx is going to let the team down. After 6 weeks they still haven't managed to recondition and port out the 5k head. I spoke to them today and was told they've got to many big jobs on now to get to it this year. Apparently the flywheel is done though. I guess with summernats coming up the small guy gets shelved.

I'm going in there tomorrow. Who knows what will come of it.

Edited by GJM85

So the head won't be done this year. There's not much that can be done about that. But I did get the flywheel and they've done a pretty tidy job of it. 8.5kg down to 6.7kg.

post-8643-0-39979500-1418977931_thumb.jpgpost-8643-0-58559300-1418977717_thumb.jpg

So I'm going to go ahead with the upgrades this weekend. That way the car won't be off the road too long and when the head swap happens next year it can be done in a day.

So cam, lifters, flywheel, gearbox and distributor to be upgraded. And super duper head early next year.