Setup Your Car For Drifting

SLW42

Hello lads and ladies this thread is aimed at our drifters on rolla club, weather your a pro or just a beginner, please feel free to post your setup's or throw pics up, even just ask questions about getting into drifting, how too's are more than welcome.

As you may now my ke70 is getting built up for drifting and one day maybe hit the street again, but my setup consists of s13 front suspension (coilovers, lower control arms, brakes) cut stock springs in the rear and one day soon a ca18det,

I'm hoping to invest in a set of camber tops for the 70, bigger sway bars front and rear, front strut brace and maybe a custom rear strut brace, and weld in halfcage for street use, please post up your thoughts and setups we all wanna see them PLEASE REMEMBER OFF STREET DRIFTING ONLY LADS AND LADIES

Edited by SLW42

Members dont see this ad

my tip is don't just fill your car with "go fast bits" and hope it will drift.

get it running with the minimal (your s13 gear in the front, and springs/shocks in the rear)

then add items to cater for what you want to change in your car.

if you just bolt in every mod at once (sway bars etc) then if it sucks, you wont know what it was like before you put it in, so you will have to change it back to stock.

and then if you like it stock, you will have wasted money on the sway bars.

when i had the s13 gear in, with kyb shocks and stiffer springs in the back, although i wasnt into drifting, the car was quite tail happy.

now that ive put the 86 gear in, it just grips grips grips, so i reckon the tailhappyness has something to do with the rediculous track the s13 front end gives.

with a ca18det i can only imagine the "tailhappyness" will multiply by 1000!!

there is a really good thread on ae86dc where everything lists their suspension setups and writes pro's and con's. might be worth checking out.

atm my set up on my t18 is stock 3tc with a dogdy radiator that actualy still work king springs realy stiff at the front medium at the rear and thin stock ke70 wheel optimised for a rainy day...................... Ok but realy were is it best to start for mods for drifting cuz i have no idea :dance:

atm my set up on my t18 is stock 3tc with a dogdy radiator that actualy still work king springs realy stiff at the front medium at the rear and thin stock ke70 wheel optimised for a rainy day...................... Ok but realy were is it best to start for mods for drifting cuz i have no idea :dance:

When you go drifting what do you find makes it really difficult to sliding?

T18drifts - one of the easiest places to start is with you and your comforts, when i decided thats what i wanted to do with my car, I went and bought a drift orientated steeringwheel thats dished towards the driver, adjusted my handbrake, and took it to the QR skidpan and went stupid out there, the suspension i had was cut front standard springs, cut king lows in the rear, 5mm slip on spacer on the front wheels, wheels were performance challengers on the front and shity hotwire things on the back, i spun out quite frequently and when i put wider wheels on the back it went fine for a 5k

i can only rely get it slide in the wet and gravel sadly it doesnt rely like the dry but i havnt had any track time to rely try in the dry and if it does just so happen to slide on the road when i just happen to go a little quick around the corner i accadently hold the arse end out for a moment even thats a little hard on the car and gravel is gravel lol but yeh i just went and got me a isotta wheel the other day but i wana try get on a track but don't no how :dance:

hahaha true don't u hell go thru tires hell quik when u weld the diff even without drifting is it true and were can i go in perth to drift and what do i have to do to get on the track -__-

perth's main race track, you do go through tires quick with any kind of locked diff,

to get onto the track in perth it probably will be the same as anywhere bud in qld at qr it is long sleeve shirt (jumper's are usually fine) helmet, long pants i.e jeans, fully enclosed shoes MONEY to pay your entrance fees and that crazy thing they call an automobile :dance:

yes well i have got an account on there wow i totaly forgot aabout it .............................. So anyways so were shold i start on mods besides comfort shold i try and get better suspension or do i need more power or could i get away with out doing engine mods ?????????????????????

IMO you should start with some stiffer than standard springs and shocks, put them in then, get yourself some lower control atms longer than standard. I.e xt130's s13 lca's will be fine and while you incresing track increase lock to keep up with it, AJPS make lock spacers cheap enough :dance: .

REMEMBER to do one thing at a time to see if it gets better

engine mods for a 3tc :dance: - webber, extractors, full exhaust, if you wanted to spend the money a cam can go into that list.

In my experiance i reckon it is easier to learn in an under powered car than learn in a massively overpowered car, but thats just me