New Payout For Drift Wannabes?

Medicine_Man

must be the fact we are getting interset from corporate sponsors offering us cash for our fun, in such a short time frame, but club rally gains not as much interest - controversy....

i LOVE rally driving, simple fact is , i can't afford to be competative at the level i am now in drifting, so i drift instead....

and if you speak to any of my friends, my FAVOURITE past timeis a fast grip run through andy *track* or mountain road, but for sheer grin factor and fun, its the best..

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is it that so many like rally fans etc HATE drifting but not too many drift fans actively HATE rallying/Grip etc?

It may well be that Drifters are under the delusion they are related to the sport of Rally Driving in some way and go home at the end of a days drifting thinking that they are involved in a motor sport somehow, whereas rally drivers and fans may well Know the difference,

To win at drift you only have to know the judges and to win a rally is, well if you don't know then you are probably Gay eh, we all know the only reason cars were built in the first place was to drive on dirt and it has always been around, and requires the most skilful driving of all “MOTORSPORTS†so I recon if you think drift is sport you probably think flying a kite in the park is sport

Gay Gay Gay Gay there I said it :D

as previously stated, theres so much anger here, i think it may just be jealousy...

how does knowing the judges help win, surely a rigged competition would favour the person who pays the most money ect, gets the best publicity??? correct? if this is so how did leighton at the recent Drift australia round beat several $200,000 mega buck cars in a $10,000 carolla? I'm sure he just slipped them a bribe under the table....... :D

get over it people, whatever you think it here and you're just gonna have to deal with it,, :angrybird:

:D

5KKid I really hope you are joking.

If you are so good at rallying (and you must be judging from your attitude) then you should be good at drifting... after all drifting is easy right?

why don't you come to queensland Raceway and show us how it's done?

P.S. josh you interested in an LPG kit for your tow car?

Edited by Gaijin Doru

I must say one has to admire your passion for the competitions, No jealousy or hatred intended or involved, at least have a sense of humor, I merely meant that the possibility exists for bias, I can Fly My Kite higher than you and I'm real realy good at if I do say so myself and also with a Yo-Yo

I think a lot of hatred for drifting comes from the general fan base around drifting, and the general mindset around drifting.

Few points that come up in my head from reading the previous posts:

Hardcore motorsport fans probably think drifting is not a motorsport, because it involves style, not speed. "Motorsport" has always involved speed, and when the drift scene came round that was all about driving sideways and being judged by how cool you look, it's a bit more like a dance than it is a race. If you know what I mean.

Yes, it's hard. I can drive my car sideways, I can flick the car around, but I sure as hell can't do half the stuff that I see you "drifters" do (or at least, Josh and Mumblezz). I acknowledge the skill involved, and I do like watching it. I love looking at photos in the drift magazine at the newsagents when I'm waiting for the train, and I love watching the crazy videos those Japanese people take.

Unfortunately, I really dislike the people who surround the "drift world". I've been to watch drift events at Qld Raceway a few times now (since I'm there a bit), and every single time I've gone home thinking that drifters are all wankers. I've had people come up to me and call me a "poser" because I have a car with a cage, but I'm not on the track drifting, I've had people tell me I'm doing it "all wrong" because my car isn't low enough, and I don't have enough camber. Like HELLO, I never intended my car to be a drift car. And I didn't ask for anyone's opinion about my car either. Half the time I've gone up to a "drifter" to say hi and talk to them about something in general, and I've been looked DOWN on, because I'm not "a drifter". It's like, "yeah dood, drifters are above everyone else". I've even been told that "drifting is the only real motorsport". Or some bullshit like that.

Maybe I just attract wankers. And then there's the numerous "discussions" I've had with "drifters" about suspension setups, car setups, cage designs etc etc, and every single time I've been told I'm full of shit, because "that's not how Japanese drifters do it, therefore it must be wrong". Don't matter that it's been published in books, don't matter that most every other motorsport guide use it, it must be all wrong. Yes, all cars must be set up with 600 pound springs, yes all cars must run -6 degrees camber on the front, oh, we don't need grip on the front because we'll be sliding around the corner, so who needs front end grip, etc etc.

All that said, I like what you've done with your car, Josh. I don't like the cage, but you know that already. But I like most everything else about it.

Also, I believe the fact that drifting is "cheap" (well, cheaper than a lot of other high publicity forms of "motorsport"), and the fact that it's originated from the streets of Japan (or so I'm led to believe) is probably part of the problem, because it also attracts the younger generation of kids to it. Maturity levels crash, f@$kwit levels rise faster than you can say "spiffy".

And it's the f@$kwits that ruin it for everyone.

I don't have anything against the people who are out there giving it a go, but the "wannabes" who have never been involved in motorsport before who try to say that "drifting around a track is faster than racing around it" or "Why can't I tune my 3K to the Tosco catalogue so my corolla can drift" are the people giving drift a bad name. Everyone has their own form of motorsports they prefer and at the end of the day if you enjoy what you are doing, thats the way its still going to be. You may recall a certain video from a drift event where two cars collided, not saying it was anyones fault, thats motorsports for you, but the guy who got out and abused the other guy wasn't doing any favours for drift. People bring it down to such a personal level and forget that you should be out there having fun, not making it an ignorant keyboard warrior ego sport. (Probably moreso because its the younger generations adopted sport?).

point taken fook, and i agree there are a large number of hangers on that generally bring the opinion of the sport down, and yes, it comes from the fact its a cheap sport, so anyone can have a go. agreed.

maybe you will like the cage in my next shell fook, as it will be somewhat more substantial....... as previously stated at mount cotton i believe, the current cage was installed more as chassis bracing than to provide real roll over protection, but it WAS based on something that started life as a real half cage. the thing that bewilders me is that several of the japanese bolt in brand of roll cages, (which is what mine started out as) carry fia rally approval, but do not pass CAMS rules, seems very strange to me... anyhow, differant strokes for differant folks.......

don't take it to heart, medicine man was just annoyed that it's been really hard to find this dvd, he's been after it for ages, but searching for "drift dvd" on ebay or google proved fruitless. hope you enjoy the vid, don't forget to leave positive feedback!

:P :lol: :cool:

5KKid I really hope you are joking.

If you are so good at rallying (and you must be judging from your attitude) then you should be good at drifting... after all drifting is easy right?

My enology was not directed at the skill involved in drifting nor were any comments directed personally to anyone in this thread, I would give it a go in someone else's car however,

Call me what you want and say what you want but I will never insult an individual or put raps on myself , look it's true it's all about choice and we are all entitled to make a choice right, call me old fashioned I like rally and cart racing and chasing consistent lap times and see how long I can keep everything together, hey is that a similarity,

Enjoy your drifting, it's all a matter of what turns you on eh!

The only joke was Quote "Gay Gay Gay " I supose there could be gay cart or even group A racers,

:cool:

come down to Oran Park I can't make it up

if you think that drifting is not a "motorsport" than you must think Redwarf doing the stormriders thing is gay....

i love to drift; but i am not a drifter. i agree with fook 110%.

i like the beatles music, i hate the "beatles"

i used to put my mates '68 triumph spitfire mk. 3 totally sideways and drive straight up the street that way. i have never been able to do this as easily in any car, does this make me a "drifter"?

hell no

i like people like josh.....real people passionate about what they do, with the facts to back them up.

i have done drifting semi-professionally.....i prefer to say stuck to the road.

i believe drifting is motorsport as i believe it takes more skill to drift all day then then it does to do "nascar"

my 2c