Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cutting Off Roof Gutters?

Featured Replies

I'm talking about cutting the gutters off the roof as pointed out in the following photos.

 

Can it be done?

Has it been done?

Should it be done?

When I drive on the freeway will my roof peel open like a sardine tin?

 

I want to do it as I think it will give the car a smoother appearance and besides the chrome is impossible to find,

and before anyone suggests it, I have no intention of using adhesive chrome trim or anything similar.

 

post-7122-032186400 1284205702_thumb.jpg

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

Cheers.

Pete

Have seen it done on a cortina, looked fairly good but not sure how you will go with strength.

Would want some beefy modification, seeing as the gutter is the seam where the roof meets the sides of the car.

  • Author

Thanks guys.

Was planning on welding the seam after cutting off the gutter.

Bit concerned about getting wet though!:blinks:

 

Might just give it a go and see what happens!

 

 

don't cut the whole lot off in one go >.<

 

Cut, Weld, cut, weld......rinse and repeat.

  • Author

don't cut the whole lot off in one go >.<

 

Cut, Weld, cut, weld......rinse and repeat.

 

Very funny,

But seriously, good idea.

Thanks

Did it on one of my Datsuns and it worked OK. You do get a bit of water dripping over the edge of the door when it rains, but not a biggie really...

 

Don't forget to strip the interior (mine was on a rally car) so you don't set fire to it with sparks from the welding.

 

Hot rodders do it all the time... chopped 'n channelled...

 

 

Hot rodders do it all the time... chopped 'n channelled...

 

wow, I really hope you know that channelling means something totally different...

Edited by TE278U

Panel shop would charge a fair lump for this sort of work wouldn't they? It does look good when done right.

Don't forget to strip the interior (mine was on a rally car) so you don't set fire to it with sparks from the welding.

 

Yes indeedy, and cover up the seals and windows too when you do it.

 

I've set my car on fire many a time from welding, strangely satisfying though... :hmm: :laff:

 

Also, not sure if you will find the same thing, but when I did it (not on a corolla) I ended up with a fairly large gap between door top and lip where gutter was. And the roof is sort of 'in' compared to the door looking down. So you might want to add steel to make it look right, if I'm making sense :cool:

Edited by KENut

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.