September 11, 201016 yr comment_467716 I'm talking about cutting the gutters off the roof as pointed out in the following photos. Can it be done? Has it been done? Should it be done? When I drive on the freeway will my roof peel open like a sardine tin? I want to do it as I think it will give the car a smoother appearance and besides the chrome is impossible to find, and before anyone suggests it, I have no intention of using adhesive chrome trim or anything similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. Pete Report
September 11, 201016 yr comment_467717 Have seen it done on a cortina, looked fairly good but not sure how you will go with strength. Report
September 11, 201016 yr comment_467725 The main issue is if you don't have awesome door seals, you'll end up wet! Report
September 11, 201016 yr comment_467738 Would want some beefy modification, seeing as the gutter is the seam where the roof meets the sides of the car. Report
September 11, 201016 yr Author comment_467762 Thanks guys. Was planning on welding the seam after cutting off the gutter. Bit concerned about getting wet though!:blinks: Might just give it a go and see what happens! Report
September 11, 201016 yr comment_467763 don't cut the whole lot off in one go >.< Cut, Weld, cut, weld......rinse and repeat. Report
September 11, 201016 yr Author comment_467765 don't cut the whole lot off in one go >.< Cut, Weld, cut, weld......rinse and repeat. Very funny, But seriously, good idea. Thanks Report
September 12, 201016 yr comment_467907 Did it on one of my Datsuns and it worked OK. You do get a bit of water dripping over the edge of the door when it rains, but not a biggie really... Don't forget to strip the interior (mine was on a rally car) so you don't set fire to it with sparks from the welding. Hot rodders do it all the time... chopped 'n channelled... Report
September 12, 201016 yr comment_468008 Hot rodders do it all the time... chopped 'n channelled... wow, I really hope you know that channelling means something totally different... Edited September 12, 201016 yr by TE278U Report
September 12, 201016 yr comment_468011 Panel shop would charge a fair lump for this sort of work wouldn't they? It does look good when done right. Report
September 12, 201016 yr comment_468017 Don't forget to strip the interior (mine was on a rally car) so you don't set fire to it with sparks from the welding. Yes indeedy, and cover up the seals and windows too when you do it. I've set my car on fire many a time from welding, strangely satisfying though... :hmm: :laff: Also, not sure if you will find the same thing, but when I did it (not on a corolla) I ended up with a fairly large gap between door top and lip where gutter was. And the roof is sort of 'in' compared to the door looking down. So you might want to add steel to make it look right, if I'm making sense :cool: Edited September 12, 201016 yr by KENut Report
September 13, 201016 yr comment_468263 wow, I really hope you know that channelling means something totally different... yeh I was wondering what dropping the body lower over the chassis rails had to do with this lol. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now