5k Engine Transplant

Xany

thanks for the input......damn that would have taken a while to read through.....hehehehe.....yes the word supercharger is still in my head and my brother and i will be removing the engine from my engine bay in the next few weeks and putting my old 4k back in.

the reason being that the 5k is smoking waaaaaaaayyy too much for a newly built engine and hasnt stopped since we started it about 4 weeks ago.....so its coming out and being pulled down again....(more money)....and my brother and i have deicided to get some offset conrods for it...:)....since we will be pulling it down anyway.....we seem to think that the rings have failed...and were f#$ked when either putting them in or they were the wrong size.....however they fitted snugly onto the pistons.....oh well we will find out sooner or later what the problem is....

thanks again.....and if anyone has any ideas about this........feel free to comment...:S

Members dont see this ad

valve guides? stem seals? i tend to look at the top end for oil usage first. if you hammered it really hard really fast, or did something like put assembly lube on the rings, maybe even put them in upside down, or lined up the ring gaps, you might be having piston problems

let us know what happens

thanks guys.......this is helping......i might rip the ported head off and chuck a standard one on.......i'm also thinking it may be something to do with the fact that i changed from hydro to solid lifters.....and changed the pushrods to ones that didnt have a hole in them....????

• 2 months later...

sorry to dig up an old thread guys.....however i do have an update for you

irokin: you don't have to read it if you don't want to........

thanks to jamie and the help and guidance of the rollaclub team i have successfully completed the 4K - 5k engine transplant, although i had a few problems straight after dropping the engine in, i have figured them out, (i'll list them below) after a couple of months of driving the car i have seen a great improvment in power and torque, most of the time fuel consumption is pretty high, however that is to be expected with a 4.1L falcon webber sitting on top of the engine. For now the engine will stay as is, and i will start to fix up the interior.

the problems i talked about before included the sump gasket leaking at the back of the engine, at first we thought is was the rear main seal. but apon inspecting it (after removing the gearbox) it was a relief to find that it was only leaking a small bit.

the other problem as mentioned in other posts was the car puffing out blue smoke, after a chat with jamie the other day i decided it was time to do somthing about it. last weekend my brother and i removed the valve springs (with a valve spring compressor) and found out that when the head was done up there was no valve stem seals put back on. Jamie told me to try using ford cortina valve stem seals however they didnt really fit well and my brother ended up going back to his workshop and bringing back a set of nissan pulsar ones (he seems to think they were off an N14 engine). they were the press on type and took only a couple of minutes to do each valve stem.

so i am proud to say that i have learnt alot about K engines, thanks to the rollaclub and my brother.

CHEERS....THANKS GUYS!!!!!

• 1 month later...

hey just wondering, was your weber off a 2L cortina engine? I'm thinking i might put a weber on my 5K but arnt entirely sure which one

also, how come you spent all that money on a 5K when you could have put a 4age in which gives 130Hp with no work done to it?? they are capable of much more power than a 5k.