Crushing Hoon Drivers Car

abbott

hey I'm just interested in what everyones opinion is on the new law about crushing hoon drivers cars.

i definitely think it has its ups and downs because people like us driving old cars could be a target but at the same time would love to see some commodores drivers off the road and their cars crushed!

Members dont see this ad

You'll only get your car crushed if your caught multiple times for reckless driving. If you havent learnt your lesson after the first 1 or 2 convictions, then you deserve to have your car crushed and your license cancelled for at least 12 months.

You'll only be a target if your a hoon. If you have an old car and like to cruise, then you have nothing to worry about. The police wont crush your car for abiding by the laws.

So, I'm all for it.

very well mad point mate and i totally agree but unfortunately being an old rear wheel drive car there is a lot of people out there that decide to "drift" them through the streets of adelaide and will make all of us look bad.

although i would mainly target this at SOME ke70 drivers more so than older model corollas

very well mad point mate and i totally agree but unfortunately being an old rear wheel drive car there is a lot of people out there that decide to "drift" them through the streets of adelaide and will make all of us look bad.

although i would mainly target this at SOME ke70 drivers more so than older model corollas

This still doesn't affect anything. You have to be caught and charged 3 times... not cars of the same model as yours caught and charges 3 times. If you can't pull your head in after you get caught once, twice... maybe you don't deserve to have your car ;)

Not saying that you are one of these people, just that your argument is flawed.

Just remember not to post things about yourself and what you do in your car. The new hoon laws are great I live on a corner where it's part of a short cut around some lights, used to get hoons every night, but not so much no more. Has already been discussed in the past about if you'll be targeted if your part of a club/forum, if your car isn't held together by cable ties and your don't drive like a knob then don't expect to be crushed. ESPECIALLY you coupe drivers out there, gotta keep em going....

Just imagine if this was your pride and joy...motivation enough I say.

These were the first two cars to be crushed in SA this week. 93 offences between them :fuzz: :lolcry:

From Adelaide now:

The cars were used by two recidivist hoon drivers with 93 traffic offences between them, including drink driving and driving while disqualified.

post-1424-093701100 1287215550_thumb.jpg

post-1424-031488800 1287215590_thumb.jpg

post-1424-021557900 1287215602_thumb.jpg

Its got its merits but at the same time. The idea of illegal "hoon" driving, from what i can understand, doesn't really have any set regulations. Basically, say, once for 68kph in a 60 zone, once for running an amber light, once for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. "Oh sorry son shine but you've just been done three times for hoon driving." Off we go to the crusher. Its not just anti-social behavior - speeding, racing, spinning the tires etc etc but a failure to use the blinker can be classed as "hoon" driving just as much as hanging your melon out of the window yelling out "NICE CANS".

You do have to admit an old car is more likely to be picked on then a later model car will be. Cause of the fact it'll have at least one defect on it. Isn't rust frowned on ? And some cars are magnets for cops (eg - ae86, silvia's, rotaries) cause they know their mostly used by "hoons". I've had a cop car pull in behind me cutting off the car behind just so they could have a look see more then once and also drive through an amber light just to stay behind.

The whole age thing can also be a magnet for the cops as well....

Have a "P" plate on the car ? Its almost like waving the typical red flag at a bull. How many times have you been branded a "hoon" cause of the "P" plate ? I still remember a few years back minding my own business in K-Mart and an old guy walked up to me "Your one of the typical hoons around this town, where's Autobarn?" He didn't like it when i turned around and told him that i didn't know.

I don't know about the rest of Oz but here in QLD an amber light is treated as a red light.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50642/victoria-police-crush-first-vehicle-under-anti-hoon-laws

From this week, when a vehicle that has been impounded three times or more is deemed unroadworthy, unsafe or does not meet a minimum 4-star safety standard, it will be given to the State Emergency Service (SES) for training drills before being destroyed.

"This is not only about sending a message to hoons, it is about creating safer roads," Deputy Commissioner for Road Policing, Ken Lay said.

"If we permanently seize a vehicle that is not of a high safety standard, in that it doesn't have features such as ABS brakes and airbags, I cannot in good conscience send that vehicle back into the community."

"This is about getting unsafe vehicles off the road and working to a higher standard of road safety across the state
, while also sending a strong message to people who choose to hoon on our roads."

The vehicle was impounded three times for "improper use of motor vehicle" and "driving in manner deemed dangerous".

What could be deemed as "improper use" ? Not using the blinker ? Running an amber light ? Both can be classed as "careless driving behavior"

I like the idea but you would have to watch your back in it....

Oh and the whole thing of why i put "hoon" in the inverted commas

At the turn of the 20th century in Australia, the term "hoon" (and its rhyming slang version "silver spoon") had a different meaning: one who lived off immoral earnings (i.e. the proceeds of prostitution – a pimp or procurer of prostitutes).

You'll be able to find it most good dictionaries along the same basic lines.

The problem is crushing a hoon's car doesn't stop the person being a hoon. These laws will create more danger on the street. If the hoon knows there car is gone when they get pulled over - they will speed off - hopefully not crashing in the process.

Governments have been legislating against hoon drivers for decades - in this time the population of the country has nearly doubled - but at the same time more race tracks have shut down than been opened.

Just imagine if this was your pride and joy...motivation enough I say.

These were the first two cars to be crushed in SA this week. 93 offences between them :fuzz: :lolcry:

From Adelaide now:

post-1424-093701100 1287215550_thumb.jpg

Surprised that one of the first two is a Toyota, not a 'dore or Falcon. And an MX73 too, was granny doing too many donuts? No real surprises about the R31 though.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

The problem is crushing a hoon's car doesn't stop the person being a hoon. These laws will create more danger on the street.

this is sooooo true, if i got my car crushed ill be ripping skids in my shoes on every footpath! trying to hit pedestrians with my anti hoon behavior and loose control and fall over! whos gonna stop me then? fashion police?

Edited by Evan G