October 21, 201015 yr comment_477253 About a month back I took delivery of a 94 WRX rally car. Only a few careful owners before me, and only 36000 on the clock. Only driven on weekends apparently. From what I know, the car was Aust delivered and immediately turned in a GTP car. Campaigned reasonably sucessfully for several years in GTP, including a couple of class wins at the Bathurst 24 hour. Went from hand to hand for a while after that, and then about three years ago was converted to a forest car. The new , erm, I shall call it caretaker of the car, did two rallys in it. One it ended up in a lake, and the other rally it ended up on it's roof. Car was professionally fixed and delivered back to it's owner, where it has sat for the last two years. The car runs 4.4 STi mech LSD's, 20 kg centre diff, Motec with antilag and launch capability, and 50mm MCA suspension. It does however need some tender loving care. It also now fits in the garage after some serious rationalisation of the storage areas. :) Report
October 21, 201015 yr comment_477255 Something doesn't seem right....... ......Ahh, the asphalt, it needs to be gravel and mud, and it needs more sideways :P Report
October 21, 201015 yr Author comment_477257 That would probably require a far bigger set of testicles than I currently own, too. :P Report
October 21, 201015 yr comment_477259 Finally puts up pics :P Going to be using this at willowbank or just keep to stage rally? Report
October 21, 201015 yr Author comment_477261 I'll probably take it to the Autocross track out there. Mainly to learn how to drive it, and get the hang of the thing. Have to find some road wheels first though. It's got all the right bits, they just need to be put together in the right order. Report
October 21, 201015 yr comment_477270 I'll probably take it to the Autocross track out there. Mainly to learn how to drive it, and get the hang of the thing. Have to find some road wheels first though. It's got all the right bits, they just need to be put together in the right order. Let me know when you are going out. Report
October 21, 201015 yr comment_477290 Just scando it and hold on, I would...... The trees are there to stop you :laff: Slightly more on topic, this is the one version of the WRX that I actually like the looks of. Weren't these the ones with the glass gearboxes though? I'd be assuming either it isn't, or it's been swapped out/beefed up it it was to cope with heavy launches on a regular basis. (an assumption based on the presence of antilag and launch control) Regardless, keen to see what you do with it, action pics plz kthxbai. :happy: Report
October 21, 201015 yr comment_477295 20psi antilag clutch drop I dare you :P Video evidence of the explosion required! Report
October 21, 201015 yr comment_477326 I'm pretty sure most WRX's have quite weak first and second gear syncro as a "weakest link" to preserve the rest of the driveline. Report
October 21, 201015 yr Author comment_477327 Ermm.... yeeeeersssss. The gearboxes are somewhat weak. This one has an STi RA box in it, that's alledgedly fairly fresh. I have another three boxes in pieces, and two more boxes complete, one just had a full rebuild. I think someones trying to tell me something. That said, if I put a 6 speed in from a later version, they're apparently better than god, but then I'd have to change the rear diff, as they only have 3.9's in the 6 speeds. Then again I also have a 3.9 R180 LSD in the spares pile too. First port of call is to drive it and get used to it. If I start smashing boxes I'll go the 6 speed route. I think I should be fine-ish, I'm reasonably kind on equipment. One thing I've been told is that to be quick in these things, you need to throw them around a lot. Handbrake is useless due the 20 Kg centre diff. (Standard is 3-6?) I'm sure there will be some interesting action pics regardless. :D Report
March 9, 201115 yr Author comment_508871 So much to do, so little time. Have been spending a bit of time with this thing recently. Wow does it need some work. Front left LCA is bent. Have alloy ones to replace both sides. STi quick rack to go in. Needs new power steering pump. Changing all four driveshafts. Interior and boot area a mess. My auto elec nearly had a baby when he saw it. Wires strung everywhere. Photo's below of some of the quality wiring jobs. But don't worry, everything was wrapped up in race tape, so it was safe. Need to change to fuel tank, as this one's full of crud. Looked at theat the other day, not a pleasant job. Still, it'll be worth it in the end. Pics of MCA Proflex shocks. Mmmmmmmm. Interior. Centre guage thingy is now gone. It'll all go into the centre control area Quality wiring. Edited March 9, 201115 yr by Redwarf Report
March 23, 201115 yr comment_512205 I had a bog stock my01 wrx i threw around the figure 8 dirt track at oran park (RIP) 10 years ago... That was the most awesome fun I ever had with my pants on... a little left foot braking to get her to slide and then it was imminently chuckable... I was massively slow compared to the people who were serious... but i was the most spectacular that day. Much jealousy in you having a real one to play with :) Report
March 24, 201115 yr comment_512404 Oh dear, you know it is bad when you see cloth tape. As in the stuff thats used in the first aid kits etc ? Its what i found under the dash of my thing covering bare wires that had only been twisted together. Not sure how true it is, but i've heard that the subie suffers from chronic understeer so one's whole driving style has to change. Foot to the floor, keep steering into the corner to keep the arse-end swung out. Kinda holds something with watching the Ken Block videos, but true or not i'm not sure. Good nick name for the car :y: Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now