Engine Bay Paint Colour? Car Too??

DZach23

Members dont see this ad

I went with all black (satin/matte) with my car, mainly cos i didnt really care much what it looked like and black is more sleeper spec. But ill be going with the same colour as the car this time. Black looked OK when clean but that didnt last long before getting dirty/dusty.

post-3517-001919800 1294921622_thumb.jpg

post-3517-088186500 1294921688_thumb.jpg

I went with all black (satin/matte) with my car, mainly cos i didnt really care much what it looked like and black is more sleeper spec. But ill be going with the same colour as the car this time. Black looked OK when clean but that didnt last long before getting dirty/dusty.

post-3517-001919800 1294921622_thumb.jpg

post-3517-088186500 1294921688_thumb.jpg

Hmmm seeing that I've scraped the complete black engine bay.

Thanks 13BT_KE20

Keep the reply's coming. :yes:

Edited by dzach23

White seemed to be at one stage all the rage in Japan.

I would go black... less likely for shit to show like oil leaks etc. However then you won't necessarily know you have them.

thats the whole point of doing a white engine bay imo, since you are most likely putting a new engine in it'd be a good idea to have a colour that shows leaks of any sort so you're not wasting hundred of dollars on new engine/rebuild just for it to die since you couldnt notice leaks etc. Unless it's a show car who cares how it looks? youll have the hood down 90% of the time

well you have to work under the bonnet so basically you want a colour that either shows you if the car has leaks or problems or a colour you wont get sick of over time

i alot of people that paint there car usually paint the entire car the colour and looks quite good

if you don't really think you will open it that often then any colour

MY OPINION

choose a colour for the whole car that you really want then do the bay that colour

i have a ke55 coupe it white with a black bay but i must admit at time its hard to see things when working in there without a light and i did say at times look at other 55 or 35 thread on here lol

hope my 2 cents has helped ya

My KE55 is blue with silver stripes (see avatar picture <--) and the engine bay is sprayed with chrome spraypaint. The car was just sitting around at my dads place one day with no engine and he decided it would be a good idea. I like it, it's a little different and it really sets of the engine (which has a red block). My cars a bit ricey though, and many people don't quite like it (not a good idea if you are going for period correctness/subtlety).

Does anyone on here have a thread of their ke35/55 that's Metallic light blue, can't seem to find one.

Here is my last KE38 wagon , its Painted Ford Electric Blue 2K PPG ,

Engine Bay Pic ,

KE38s012.jpg

Link to thread ,

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/47402-my-new-ke38-wagon-previous-ke38s/page__p__488850__fromsearch__1#entry488850

Cheers

Dave

I'm thinking now, I'll paint The car Voodoo Blue i was thinking of keeping the car to the id plate colour but i haven't seen one that looks good. Also it will never be in original condition therefore i'll make it different and something i'll like.

The only information i pull up on code BR

Is a 1979-80 colour

TOYOTA AUSTRALIA Light Blue (metallic)

PPG codes

ATO.BR(31221)

I would go the exact same colour as the car in a 2K for easy clean up.

Rod

Thank's for the info Rod.

Probably a Dumb question, The PPG code is what i'd take to the paint supplier to mix up the paint colour? (might try it on the boot)

being a metallic I assume i need to apply clear coat

isn't 2K hazardous to spray unless in a booth?