Help Me Out Guys

rian

Hi everyone,

I've got a bit of a problem at the moment, my car was crashed into on saturday morning in the main street on the way to work. I was not at fault, the car behind me ran into my car while I was stopped as the car in front of me was waiting to turn into a petrol station across the road. As a result my car is pretty much a write off, as the repairs for the car way exceed it's value. But here is the problem, The person who crashed into me does not have third party property insurance and my car is not comprehensively insured, although she has agreed to pay for repairs and/or pay for the car, but as repairing it isn't really viable she just wishes to pay me ~$1500 to $1600 for the car, but I will get to keep it in the end. So here's where I need a little help as I've never had to deal with something like this before, would you consider this offer fair, as I initially paid $1700 for this KE70 when I first bought it, it had 121000 kilometers on it and had only one owner it's whole life. There is very very little rust in it, it's been out west of Lismore (about an hour from the coast) since new and was also rust proofed when it was new. It currently has rego until september, I just put new tyres on it and it has the usual AE86 coilovers and lowered in the rear, T18 bumpers and things like that which wouldn't matter providing I could find a new one to swap the parts over to. The other problem is I now have no car to get to work in and won't until I find a new one. So would you consider this a fair deal, to get ~$1600 for the car, as I've seen similar ones sell for more than that, and try and find another one, although I guess I do get to keep it, but it really isn't worth anything how it is now. I've included some pics to help people get an idea of the cars condition, It's a 1982 CS model 5 speed.

IMGP3483.jpg

IMGP3490.jpg

IMGP3482.jpg

IMGP3489.jpg

IMGP3485.jpg

IMGP3486.jpg

IMGP3484.jpg

It's probably a silly question but I just can't see myself finding another KE70 in the same condition and getting it rego'd, insured, on the road blah blah for what she is offering me for the damage done to my car. Thanks to anyone who has any input.

Edited by rianwest

Members dont see this ad

I'd take her money and run... I doubt you'll be able to squeeze any more than that from her even if you decided to get all legal.

Granted, you probably won't find one quite as good to replace it... But in the short term at least you can use her cash to buy some shitter to get to work.

Another KE will turn up eventually...

Hi,

OUCH sucks when that happens.

I being a tight ass at times Id go her $1500 PLUS pay for the rear bumper to be straightened and re chromed (if it can be repaired). If she agrees get it in wirting signed and hey enjoy. As T18 bumper can be used on next ride looking spiffy as.

If she says no take cash and run. another one will turn upa nd if you keep the car you have a whole car of spares you can part out etc and earn more cash so win situation kinda.

Cameron

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll give her a call and see what the go is.

And Evan I'd say it could be repaired but would it be worth it? It's pushed forward at the rear left door jam and inside the boot is all creased up and everything, and the rear left quarter has a crease through it. The quote to get it fixed was double what she's offering me for it. I dunno, this was the crispiest little car, I'm so annoyed that the amount I value it and it's actual value are so different, I don't think I ever would have gotten rid of it if I didn't have to

Edited by rianwest

It's all been sorted, she agreed to pay what I initially paid for it, which now that you all have pointed it out and I have had a little think about it, seems to be quite a good deal considering I still have the car to use for whatever purpose. And if anyone has a KE70 in good condition around Brisbane or Byron Bay that they wish to sell let me know ;)

or maybe even an earlier model if I can afford it

Edited by rianwest

Take it! Pulling that out will be surprisingly easy, they crumple fast and pop back out quickly.

You'll spend the $1600 plus a bit unless you have a mate who is a panelbeater/spraypainter, but if you get a good job & a complete respray will be better than new. Get them to panelbeat it and you sand it down for painting.

• 1 month later...

Have you got a qoute in writing ? might pay to get a second one.

Thats the first thing, if you wish to take to court, you need a few costings.

You may be able to push her 1500 up front then a payment plan.

Porta power will push a lot of that out.

But hmmm that door could be a rack job.

Also do you need to report accident tp Polce ?

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Andy43

Also do you need to report accident tp Polce ?

Alway! Always! Always! Unless you're in the wrong!! :laff:

1-A small damage is always bigger than you think.

2-The person who crashed into you will feed you an absolute line of bullshit that won't include a real name or address. The guy who crashed into my Sentra was most upset when the Police arrived (whom I had quietly phoned) and it turned out the same he gave me was false, the car was on HP and he was broke, and he was drunk.

3-You might be taken to Court later by the guy who crashed into you, as a motorcyclist tried after he rode down the outside of a line of stationary traffic queued behind me as I turned right, then crashed into my driver's mudguard as I dropped the clutch... I went overseas soon after and he tried to sue me in my absence.

4- That's what we pay taxes for and you shoud make them do some real work rather than hiding behind bloody speed cameras and booze stops!

• Upvote 1

there face and tone ALWAYS CHANGE when you ask "should i call the cops?"

the guy ran a red, i swerved to miss him and landed into a poll.

when the cops arrived I'm pretty sure he lost his license for some time and had to attend a driving school thing?

he paid me 1800 for my cars damage.

post-8435-049426700 1298087359_thumb.jpg

bought a mig for $500/paint and poo for another $300. had a donor car so i just cut the pillar out and welded the good one in.

fixed the damage (rear door wouldnt open properly/big gaps). put another 6 months rego on it till i could find another car. drove it for 6 months with the dodgy fix then scraped it

f@$king P platers

Edited by Evan G

Porta power will push a lot of that out.

That's what I did, I had no idea what a porta power was until someone suggested it to me. It worked really well, pushed most of it out but it still looks like shit, all the little dings and creases are still there and the paint is cracked. But I don't mind too much because it's still drivable and looks okay from a distance, plus I now have $1700 towards a new car :)