Full Time Drift Car/Part Time Grip?

Istartfires

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting/ building a track car, I want to be able to take it for a slide but also would like to try getting in some lap times to.

I'm after a few opinions,

1, suspension / would fully adjustable coilovers suit drift / time attack?

2 steering, will extra lock and steering bits and pieces (helpfull with drifting) be ok with time attack?

And what car would one suggest?

Members dont see this ad

haha c'mon man!

could you be any more broad.

its all going to come down to budget. which you didnt mention.

if you havea lot of money, start with something like an evo 9, or an R32 GTR, or a subaru STI, buy the best suspension you can get your hands on (olohns, proflex etc), spend alot on tyres and safety gear, and go out there and blast around the track at the time attack.

no good for drift but thats not real motorsport anyway! haha.

Remember this golden rule.

If you can afford to race it, you must be able to afford to fix it.

I personally would build the car the other way around. I personaaly believe that it would be far easier to drift a track car (I refuse to call it "grip") than vice versa.

Oh, and I can tell you first hand, Proflex rocks. :D

to built either of those cars in one would be a extreme difficulty, setup wise they share not much in common, there would be a possibility that your drift car has descent track time but not to the potential...

on budget a s13 or 180sx would do good for drift even a ae86, aslong as it has good power is light and rear wheel drive u will slip the end out..

track car go european they grip reallly well i find i drive a bmw 325 and it kill any otrher v6 commo or form in straight for and leaves them for dead around corners so ....

but in conclusion i think it would be hard to build both and if you did it would take 1 day to set the car up for the other even cause of all the adjusting u would have to do to suspension ect

if you havea lot of money, start with something like an evo 9, or an R32 GTR, or a subaru STI, buy the best suspension you can get your hands on (olohns, proflex etc), spend alot on tyres and safety gear, and go out there and blast around the track at the time attack.

I second the EVO for time attack, ACD and Super AYC pull you into the corners and tell you to push her harder, so much grip

if you don't have the money, buy a gemini or 4 and flog them around the track till you develop good balance of a car if your getting started, pick em up for about $50 - $100, POS, haha

ery broad area here

What's wrong with a 4AGE in a KE70... quick enough to have fun on a track and if you change the rear springs/shocks it will drift. The steering setup has been gone over for drifting and the parts are around.

Cheap motorsport, although i can't see how you could enjoy two completely opposite disciplines... speed and slide. Why don't you just go rallying

if you going to go the rally route. keep it as stock as possible.

do up a 4k (cam, compression, side drafts), add a cage, some rally tyres, maybe some shocks springs, keep it cheap.

get out there and have a thrash in what should be a reliable simple car.

if you start talking turbo, gze in rally, unless you spend the big bucks on getting it 100% reliable, you will be forever on the side of the road! and suspension requirements will be much higher for the higher horesepower of the forced induction motors.

have a chat to "trd ke70" about their old rally car, thats where its at!

if i ever get into rally, i think i woudl probably just buy someone elses project.

check this:

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/tabid/65/p/1/cid/560/id/3793/Default.aspx

if thats as good as the add sounds, i doubt you could build that for $4500.

Edited by ke70dave

with out a massive budget you wouldnt be able to. its like having a submarine and saying you want it to fly. race you want maximum traction grip and forward speed. drift you want it overpowered to break traction and fry tyres

Ok, this is all the information you need...

Basically, build your track car, but build it with BIG power... Then basically it comes down to how you pedal the car as to what it will do... On a track car you can go relatively stiff suspension anyway, and it may well come down to something as simple as tire width and pressures... For my 86, I run 205s for traction, but if i was to try drifting, i'd get a set of 195s or even 185s stretched onto a 7in rim... less tractive capabilities will make a HUGE difference in how it behaves.

My suggestion would be Ksev, 4AGTE conversion and some VERY good suspension. But then it still comes down to budget... what can you afford to race?

Dave's right- start cheap no matter which you do, so no turbos until you're convinced that you will pursue whichever sport to get value out of the $20,000 you will no doubt spend.

I knew a panelbeater who went from discipline to discipline, building superb cars and sorting them, then deciding he didn't really like that sort of racing. He must have spend hundreds of thousands of dollars over a decade, but as he owned the business he could afford it...

I always do stuff real cheap, so I started with a slightly modified Datsun 1600 back in the '80s and just kept making it faster and faster over the years. Rallying takes more money, more dedication and more time than racing, but I reckon it is the king of motorsport. Roundy-roundy is technical but boring as you always know what the next corner will be. Drifting doesn't count for anything.. :rolls: