Ae82 Gokai - It May As Well Be A Wife.

carbonboy

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad

So, I went shopping today & got me some good bits. :happy:

Future-plans exhaust manfold.

post-5437-0-44495200-1329651633_thumb.jpg

Going to have some extra bracing added, but it'll do the job.

post-5437-0-64754800-1329651990_thumb.jpg

The real reason I went shopping, this!

post-5437-0-22600100-1329652041_thumb.jpg

From a little interwebs searching & chatting with the seller, (I think) it's an E58 factory LSD gearbox from a 4AGZE. Has been fitted with a mechanical LSD, this should be interesting! Having seen the pricetags of LSD's alone...:blinks:...bloody stoked to score this. :greenbounce:

But not as good as putting them in your car and having a hoon sesh :P

True that! Off public roads of course, so none of that being booked & car impounded stuff. :y:

So you visited Alex, and webers and I didn't get a heads up that you were in the area. Hahaha

My bad... :blush: I didn't think westies were welcome out your way? :laff: :P

Alex seems like a good bloke, friendly, knows his stuff & most importantly, no BS. If only more people selling things over the Internet could be that way! :lol:

Well, what a $h1t weekend this has been! Blue Things clutch gave up the ghost Friday afternoon, couldn't get one in until Saturday morning so proceeded to drop the gearbox Friday evening...& some of Saturday morning due to several bolts having to be convinced to to come off. By 'convinced', I mean hacksawed & belted with a hammer & chisel. A couple of things I did learn from doing this are:

- You don't have to disconnect your brake lines, just hang the calipers off the springs with a bit of wire.

- You don't have to disconnect your clutch release line, just push out of the way & ziptie it there.

- Ditto for the coolant lines, just unbolt the thermostat housing from the gearbox, there's enough play in it to get the 'box off & on.

While I've got the 'box off, I might as well put the 5 speed I have laying around in, so new clutch in & bench press the gearbox back on. Put everything back on & do up, jump in & discover that something's not right with the gear shifter. Doesn't want to go full throw to either the left or the right, meaning I can only engage 3rd & 4th gears (I think). So I swapped Blue Things cables with some spare Twin Cam ones I have, no difference. Swap gearlevers, no difference, contemplated puling the whole gearshift assembly from Sudi & bolting it in, but I've been at this too damn long, I've been dripping sweat for the last 6 hours & I'm f**king over it!!! If anyone has any idea as to why my gearshift is not functioning correctly, please mention it? The only idea I have left is the gearbox is from an AE9x & the shifting mechanism is slightly different? I don't know, tired, sore & can't think straight... :(

Due to all this I missed out on going on a planned road trip to Gippsland & because of the f**king stuck bolts, missed a mates birthday shindig Saturday night as I was slaving away on this f**king thing & because of the gearshift, missed the AOMC Classic Japan Day.

Pissed off!

Not good to hear mate. I had a similar issue with my ae101 conversion into my ae82 years ago, but I'm farked if i remember what the problem was, and how i fixed it. I have a feeling the "throw" on the shifters were a different length, or had to make a combination of the 2, and had to make the ae101 shifter fit. Shit I can't remember. Sorry i can't be more help Luke, hope you get it sorted soon.

Also remember having to ʞ©$ɟ around with the shifter cables for some reason, it was 5 or 6 years ago now.

Edited by ae824ate

Not good to hear mate. I had a similar issue with my ae101 conversion into my ae82 years ago, but I'm farked if i remember what the problem was, and how i fixed it. I have a feeling the "throw" on the shifters were a different length, or had to make a combination of the 2, and had to make the ae101 shifter fit. Shit I can't remember. Sorry i can't be more help Luke, hope you get it sorted soon.

Also remember having to ʞ©$ɟ around with the shifter cables for some reason, it was 5 or 6 years ago now.

I can't put my finger on it, it may just be a faint glimmer of hope that the gearbox isn't stuffed but I think I might try getting myself ahold of a gearshift lever & cables from an AE9x series & giving them a go. Am doubtful the 'box is from an AE1xx series, but I get what you're saying about the throw distance. Cheers man, got my brain back on a track! :y:

It seems that 3rd/4th on the gearshift is 1st/2nd in the gearbox, for what it'll cost me from a wrecker it's worth a shot I think.

Failing that I'll be adding 40-ish kilograms to my scrap metal pile. :D

Well, what a $h1t weekend this has been! Blue Things clutch gave up the ghost Friday afternoon, couldn't get one in until Saturday morning so proceeded to drop the gearbox Friday evening...& some of Saturday morning due to several bolts having to be convinced to to come off. By 'convinced', I mean hacksawed & belted with a hammer & chisel. A couple of things I did learn from doing this are:

- You don't have to disconnect your brake lines, just hang the calipers off the springs with a bit of wire.

- You don't have to disconnect your clutch release line, just push out of the way & ziptie it there.

- Ditto for the coolant lines, just unbolt the thermostat housing from the gearbox, there's enough play in it to get the 'box off & on.

While I've got the 'box off, I might as well put the 5 speed I have laying around in, so new clutch in & bench press the gearbox back on. Put everything back on & do up, jump in & discover that something's not right with the gear shifter. Doesn't want to go full throw to either the left or the right, meaning I can only engage 3rd & 4th gears (I think). So I swapped Blue Things cables with some spare Twin Cam ones I have, no difference. Swap gearlevers, no difference, contemplated puling the whole gearshift assembly from Sudi & bolting it in, but I've been at this too damn long, I've been dripping sweat for the last 6 hours & I'm f**king over it!!! If anyone has any idea as to why my gearshift is not functioning correctly, please mention it? The only idea I have left is the gearbox is from an AE9x & the shifting mechanism is slightly different? I don't know, tired, sore & can't think straight... :(

Due to all this I missed out on going on a planned road trip to Gippsland & because of the f**king stuck bolts, missed a mates birthday shindig Saturday night as I was slaving away on this f**king thing & because of the gearshift, missed the AOMC Classic Japan Day.

Pissed off!

Thanks for the tips, wish I knew more about gearboxes to be able to help :(

I can't put my finger on it, it may just be a faint glimmer of hope that the gearbox isn't stuffed but I think I might try getting myself ahold of a gearshift lever & cables from an AE9x series & giving them a go. Am doubtful the 'box is from an AE1xx series, but I get what you're saying about the throw distance. Cheers man, got my brain back on a track! :y:

It seems that 3rd/4th on the gearshift is 1st/2nd in the gearbox, for what it'll cost me from a wrecker it's worth a shot I think.

Failing that I'll be adding 40-ish kilograms to my scrap metal pile. :D

How does you pattern work, isn't it just normal 5sp? with reverse under 5th?

What's a mechanical LSD?