Ae82 Gokai - It May As Well Be A Wife.

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad

fark me attention to detail much?? seeing all this is making me think more about mine.. do i or don't i?

how many hours have you spent doing this stuff so far?

:blush:

On all the detail stuff like the seams/spot-welds specifically? I'm not sure to be honest, would have to run back through my diary & get you a total. Some would say stupid amounts, *shrugs* but could be achieved faster than I have done with a proper workshop area setup. :)

You know you could do this professionally... if you did and I had the money I wouldn't hesitate!

(I cleaned up GT MTB today and went for ride, also came home and cleaned up old peugeot custom racer I made years ago)

How did you learn how to restore cars like this? :blinks:

I could, but dunno about making money, the labour costs would kill me! :lolcry:

Pics of pushies? Have always regarded them as a fun, alternative transport as our public transport system.....let's say it doesn't work for me. Watching dfunkt compete in a cyclocross event recently sorta ignited a spark to finally fix the damn bike after, oh, 8 or 9 years. :D

I didn't/I still am, which could explain a few things... :lol: Learning as you go can be fun, tricky & scary, but fun. :) Welding I learnt as part of my apprenticeship so that was a bonus, granted that was 3mm plate & my car's 1mm but it just took practice. In the grand scheme I am just an amateur, the skills & technical knowledge of some other forum members for instance far surpass mine.

Nothing's been happening car-wise at the moment, lots going on, not all of it good. :| Getting there...

For those of you who are interested, some pushbike bits have been showing up at my door:

post-5437-0-70130700-1316948203_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-34446300-1316948272_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-10232900-1316948319_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-31288100-1316948361_thumb.jpg

Going to be assembling these parts to resemble a bike once I get my rear shock, front derailleuer & gearshifter/brake lever setup. Have road tyres to mount on these, needs MOAR dish! :D

post-5437-0-71313500-1316948451_thumb.jpg

Also, I lowered Blue Thing....

post-5437-0-61470700-1316948546_thumb.jpg

Not really, just had it loaded with stuff to store in my parents shed for a few months until I can sort things out. Believe it or not, there's 3 bumpers in there! :)

post-5437-0-66187700-1316948703_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-98350100-1316948744_thumb.jpg

Man, I love hatchbacks with fold flat seats but thinking that my next car to replace BT will be along the lines of a Hiace... :hmm:

Actually, I haven't neglected the car all-together! I just got back from picking a nice good-condition set of park lights for an AE82. :D No photo, but a big thankyou to Woz & Josh aka ewt! :yes: Was great to finally meet you guys, sorry I couldn't stay for dinner! :wink: :P

Edited by carbonboy

Those bike parts look fancy Luke! Glad you know how assemble that as i'd be lost!

Hope things settle out for you as far storage for those car bits you have there.. I became quite engaged when I saw BT that low :blush: I fitted a bonnet in my old ae82 so you should have no issues!

Gearbox + driveshafts + 3 strut/brake setups + exhaust + crate of A/C & P/S gear = instant low :P

It does kind of look like I raided Shimanos catalogue, but it's all straight from the factories in Taiwan/Hong Kong. Same stuff you buy in stores, just ~60% cheaper courtesy of ebay! :D I also have the benefit of having played with this bike for about 10 years, only now am I fixing the rear swingarm issues but *meh*.

The gear in the back of the car in the photos is now stashed safely in my Dads shed except for the front bumper, which is keeping the boat company. Yank out the rear seats completely & the front passenger as well & you WILL freak people out with how much stuff you can fit in these, love it!

Working living arrangements out, have 2 possible options I'm investigating. Is it wrong that I'm more worried about a home for my car than me? :lol:

Edited by carbonboy

I just got back from picking a nice good-condition set of park lights for an AE82. :D No photo, but a big thankyou to Woz & Josh aka ewt! :yes: Was great to finally meet you guys, sorry I couldn't stay for dinner! :wink: :P

All good Luke. Was good to finally meet you and have a chat. All the best with those Corner Lights. ;)

Woz & Josh :cool:

Again, nothing car related but here's a pic of the old dunger I was getting about on.

post-5437-0-52724100-1317643694_thumb.jpg

I can now bugger that heavy, creaky, knobbly tyred hunk o' junk off & ride this! :D

post-5437-0-52504600-1317643772_thumb.jpg

Gave it a good shakedown ride this afternoon, brakes need some adjusting but otherwise hunky dory. Much more pleasurable to ride (smooth tyres for the win!), not for off road use anymore but will get me to work so I can investigate BT's vacuum leaks! :yes:

Okay, something car related today!. :)

These arrived in the mail for me yesterday afternoon, a BIG thankyou goes out to Bugzbarney who was so very kind as to bubble pack the snot out of these & post them to me, they arrived unharmed! Have been looking for a set of these for while now, could go the aftermarket items that are around but I don't like them, they don't suit the AE82. These do & should neaten up the sills quite nicely! :D

post-5437-0-94128000-1317685043_thumb.jpg

what am i looking at?

I probably should've mentioned that! The one on the bottom is upside down, but it's a pair of fibreglass sideskirts for an AE82. A semi-ripoff of the FX-GT items but I prefer these over some of the aftermarket offerings, what little there are available. They need a little loving (to be expected given their age), nothng I can't handle. :)

Edit: The fat, blue thing in the bottom right corner's my stomach, don't mind me, just had breakfast. :laff:

Edited by carbonboy

Nice pick up on the side skitrs :y: That'll fill the area nicely which means one sill panel dosent need the same as the other :wink: Joking! If only I still had the front fibreglass spoiler which got broken :n:

If you were to go a front spoiler, which style would you go for? Toyota had a foam type

unit which was very squarish in its profile, or there was an aftermarket option which looked a little smoother and pleasing.

Edit: Dug these from the archives.

S5001957.jpg

The old rocket.

S5002500.jpg

Edited by Ben-89

Nice pick up on the side skitrs :y: That'll fill the area nicely which means one sill panel dosent need the same as the other :wink: Joking! If only I still had the front fibreglass spoiler which got broken :n:

If you were to go a front spoiler, which style would you go for? Toyota had a foam type

unit which was very squarish in its profile, or there was an aftermarket option which looked a little smoother and pleasing.

Cheers Ben, they'll hide the dodgy sill bottoms quite nicely! :laff:

Thankyou for digging those pics up, I'd never seen the sedan spoiler before... :blinks: Nor a front lip in as good condition as the photo. :lol: Is that 'hatch' decal real or photoshopped on your car?

There's a guy in NZ who's now making some fibreglass replicas of the NZGT front lip extension complete with ducts for brake cooling. :D The downsides are that it's more than I can afford at the moment & while I like the brake cooling ducts, I'm just personally not too crash hot on the lips aesthetics. :hmm: Each to their own tastes, no offence to anyone who has one! :no2:

I'm using my phone currently so it's a little difficult to check but I think there's some pics in my gallery or in the first few pages of the front bumper lip I made. It attaches to the bottom of the bumper, rather than over the front so to speak. Better not lower the ride height too much then... :wink:

Edit: It's got the same top cloth as the bonnet, so once cleared it'll be a matching set...which reminds me, that hatch spoiler mould I made's laying around somewhere. :P

Edited by carbonboy

The Marin looks sweet Luke. Although she is a bit of a contradiction. Dual squish with flat bars I'm thinking cool, then I see the wheel and tire package and I'm more now thinking SPANDEX!!!!

Keep the nobby beast and come for a downhill with the cool kids.lol

Stu.

No worries mate, those decals are the originals. A small history lesson, at the lauch of the ae82, the sedan and seca were launched in May 85' by september the Hatch was the last. While the Hatch and Seca both had a lifting tail gate and folding rear seats, they puerly named it Hatch just to differentiate. From what I can gather though, the Hatch emphasis was on the early release cars as mine was built in Oct 85. Since 2004 I have only seen 3 or 4 with that livery.