Ethanol Mandate

towe001

Came across this by accident with google fishing "ethanol mandate".

Sounds all well and good and other crap forcing us to go green if we want to or not.

Being able to rely on our own home grow green hippy friendly fuel and a bit less on the stuff from the dinosaurs.

http://www.abc.net.a...10/s3050895.htm

http://www.courierma...x-1225914489051

http://www.racq.com....date_suspension

The governments plan was of january 2011 every service station in the south-east of QLD would not be selling unleaded, instead giving us a choice of e10 or premium.

Thanks to RACQ the plan has been put on hold for at least 12 months. Or at least from what i can make out from the sites i visited.

Sorry to say it but in NSW you have till July 1st to do something.

http://penrith-press...-for-motorists/

But by the looks of this one, NSW is getting a minimum of 2 percent already.

http://www.drive.com...leID=33956&vf=1

What is it, about 95% of us can't or won't run our cars on e10. Even some of the current late model cars can't run on e10. So much for the thing of cars made after 2004 is safe on the e10 blend.

When we got our '07 lancer i asked the mitsubishi service guy on the lancers first service about using e10 and he told us only if you have too cause it could void the warranty.

What a nice draconian way of forcing us to either ditch the early model cars and make us either walk it cause we can't afford a brand new car or get a loan for one or force us to ditch the idea of having a pure classic car.

What are you going to do ??

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this green fuel bullshit.

It produces 33% less carbon. So one litre of 10% E10 fuel creates 3% less carbon. (clarify : Ethanol produces 33% less, not blended fuel)

You'd probably do better tuning and servicing your car.

Edited by blzbub666

Well I'm in the process of importing a new car so lets hope it works with e10..lol

As for my KE15 usually run 98. But I know toyota carbies plastic float disolves in e10 and so will my nice new solex PHH 40 I jsut built :( So not sure what I will do there.

But I do know the fuel reg pump and lines in KE15 can handel e10 so if I can change floats in carbies I wont have any issues changing to use it.

But I agree with comment above only reduces 3% carbon. I mean the amount of shit boxes on the road that need a tune is crazy if we all took better care of our cars I belive we could reduce it more..LOL

Cameron

The only advantage that ethanol has over standard fuels is that less crude oil is needed in its production but then the downside is that you need to use a shit load of corn just to make a small amount.

Edited by Trev

Good point trev I have read articles that state in areas where corn and other foods are grown for ethanol the food market those farms supplied have dried up of the product and people can't get it so on one hand we reduce carbon emissions and in the other hand we reduce food for our consumption and lose land for growing food etc and we start reducing humans..

Cameron

Good point trev I have read articles that state in areas where corn and other foods are grown for ethanol the food market those farms supplied have dried up of the product and people can't get it so on one hand we reduce carbon emissions and in the other hand we reduce food for our consumption and lose land for growing food etc and we start reducing humans..

Cameron

Have you checked to see what fuel the car you are getting is meant to run on (where ever it is coming from), being an import I would guess that it isn't a new car so it will most likely need to be run on premium over here.

When I still had the KE55 I ran 95 minimum in it, theory was that it was sold in Aus to run on leaded (which was something like 96 RON). The switch to unleaded 91 RON petrol in the 80s was regarded as one of the reasons for the big power drops in some performance cars of the time (the Cordia from memory lost about 20kw in the retune/respec from leaded to unleaded in the AB-AC facelift)

Pretty much every place around here only sells E10 91 anyway, which I steer well clear of to begin with even for the 102 (which is capable of running 91 and E10). If the first E10 was uprated from 91 to 95 due to the ethanol content, how shitty must the current E10 fuel be pre-ethanol for it to be uprated to 91? No way is that stuff going near my fuel tank. Fortunately the Soarer is tuned for 98 minimum (and even then it only really seems happy on Ultimate) so it is never in danger of ever seeing 91, and 95 would be for emergencies only. $100+ to fill the tank is a right-royal pain though.

If you tune your car right E10 is cheaper and you'll get as much milage out of a tank. My 92 Camry likes E10 more than 98 ron premium. The car just hit 400,000km and has been running E10 for 80,000km. Will see if I can clock a million K's in the next decade, will pull out the fuel lines and prove alloy doesn't get corroded by ethanol. It's alcohol not an acid or a base, the government is fear mongering about E10 fuel. The USA has been running 10 - 20% ethanol since the late 80's, without any troubles. The slow burning properties of mixing ethanol in octane/ heptane mix reduces monoxide by massive levels, it's good stuff. Just make sure you advance your timing a touch and reset your ECU and you'll be amazed how well the E10 runs in most EFI cars.

Cameron

America case in point with that. A typical sized farm is used solely for growing fuel crops and the food for consumption has to be imported in. Its a win-lose situation, the money their saving on using ethanol in the fuel is spent on importing food in.

Trev currently looking at GT-4 Caldina (new update model around 06-07) or A econo-box on wheels bB love them and can't explain why :) I can get a 2010 model of that from Japan so for fuel not sure.

Beerhead I ahve seen much info on running ethanol in boosted cars quite fine so I'm not against it I jsut think it will hit the pockets of many people buying premium and will see a lot of old good cars thrown out. As for corroding aluminium that is rubbish in my eyes. Only really affects rubbers and seals that are not designed for it.

Cameron

If you tune your car right E10 is cheaper and you'll get as much milage out of a tank. My 92 Camry likes E10 more than 98 ron premium. The car just hit 400,000km and has been running E10 for 80,000km. Will see if I can clock a million K's in the next decade, will pull out the fuel lines and prove alloy doesn't get corroded by ethanol. It's alcohol not an acid or a base, the government is fear mongering about E10 fuel. The USA has been running 10 - 20% ethanol since the late 80's, without any troubles. The slow burning properties of mixing ethanol in octane/ heptane mix reduces monoxide by massive levels, it's good stuff. Just make sure you advance your timing a touch and reset your ECU and you'll be amazed how well the E10 runs in most EFI cars.

That I can vouch for, cousin has a Cruze CDX and it states to use only E10, he thought he would put 98 in it one week to see if it does any better in the fuel economy, he ended up getting almost 200k's less to the tank, if you were to retune the ecu's timing then it would run on 98 but at what advantage.

I have looked into running premium ethanol again but (old seca used to love v-power racing) but they state not to run ethanol contiuously in a car that was not designed for it as it will perish rubber, this may not be true but I would rather not find out the hard way.

The apparent reason that ethanol was ruled out over here a while back was because they were introducing too much into the fuel, they have now found a safe level.