Ke38 Van For My Daughter

teza40

Many thanks altezzaclub and Clapped Out :)

For those who require pics or it didnt happen he he he

For your viewing pleasure...taken on my mobile phone....yes i obscured the rego plate and yes it is parked

next to the dead ringer copy of the Running on empty black 57 chev 2 door...pretty sure it isnt the original movie car..but don't qoute me on it.

Cheers n enjoy

Teza40

post-2215-0-10084500-1363621967_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-14329700-1363621999_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

Well frig me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after getting the van rego`ed..it starts playing up!!

After near on two weeks of me second guessing everything that was happening wrong and trying this n that, it

came down to another carby...a dizzy with vac advance not working (nippon denso)...swapped to a bosch dizzy..and the final straw was a new manifold gasket and shit loads of exhaust cement to seal it up ( has extractors which are warped in places)...

So got the running side of things sorted (nope it didnt jump teeth on the timing chain)...gave the nod for Emma to come up easter monday and get her car finally....

Bugger me dead she left without it...not happy young lady was she,tho did get to drive it for the first time :).

Speedo wasnt working...i was blaming the cable, yet again i was fooled!...short story on the problem, the speedo

drive unit that slots in the tail housing of the gmh trimatic.Well it had nothing to mesh into inside to read speed of main rear shaft....the clip had broke or let the gear come off the shaft and it slipped towards the rear of the shaft.

Pics will show you what happened and hopefully other members will benefit from this knowladge

Cheers

Terry

post-2215-0-37689100-1364960772_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-26167600-1364960801_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-64240300-1364960824_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-40013100-1364961350_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-25397800-1364961425_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-16585300-1364961447_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-53204700-1364961508_thumb.jpg

Edited by teza40

Took the Ke38 van for it`s first drive up the bruce highway to Cabboolture on thursday, first time it has hit 100 km/h in over 2 years...lol.... it felt good and drove nice...going to miss this old girl for everyday driving...

Is a different car driveability wise now with the auto in it...yes less powerful on take off and getting up to highway speed takes longer....the car will suit Emma I'm sure and she wont be able to hoon it...lol..

Dropped in and finally caught up with the lady(who is nearing 90 years of age) and owned the ke38 for near on 25 years and was gracious enough to pass it onto me back in 2007 when she hung up the keys and stopped driving.

Emma will be the 3rd generation of my family to own and drive this rare lil jap machine :)

My nan was thrilled to see the make over of her old car.....loved it...

the pic included speaks volumes...2 goals in my life achieved.......

Cheers

Teza40

post-2215-0-72829800-1365120171_thumb.jpg

Well done! There was a lot of work to get it so good!

So, your Nan thought purple was great??

Thankyou muchly also :)

Yes altezzaclub :)...my nan loves the colour on her old car..her words were it suits it. silver is a nice colour also..but to me

this car now stands out..plus well it is a girls car but i would still own it in this colour..wild violet for the world mate :).

A couple litres more sprayed over it and clear lacquer-cut n polish and it will look even better..still small things to do to it in the interior dept..

All in good time and Emma can come visit me to get those things done ....lol...

I better stop enjoying it and hand it over to her now....ha ha ha

Teza mate, you're a bloody legend. You've done a great job with this little corolla. It's kind of sad that it's now finished!

I am sure your daughter will love it! I know I would!

KE38 love.

Cheers,

Chris

Teza mate, you're a bloody legend. You've done a great job with this little corolla. It's kind of sad that it's now finished!

I am sure your daughter will love it! I know I would!

KE38 love.

Cheers,

Chris

AWWWWWWWWWWW Man......definately feeling the KE38 appreciation with those words :)

Thankyou muchly Chris....

• 2 weeks later...

Well 2 - 3 weeks have passed since i gave the ke38 van over to Emma, what a painful time it has been for her and more so me having to run south side to sort it out.

So van is back at my place and have just fitted a brand new (purchased from Phils rotaries Lawnton,this week) 5k

Aisian carb without all the dash pot and heat strip crap on it.

Yeah i was and still am looking for a weber 32/36 with manual choke, but got desperate too sort his unhappy n troublesome running rolla out...try dealing with one frustrated, has no clue on cars 18 year old female when car isnt running right or driving nice and stalling heaps when stopping.....i can get around it with many years of knowladge etc....Emma not so..

So with every 4k carb i put on this engine...being full of fine dirt n crap and just plain worn out after 30 plus years...pulled out the credit card when i found on evil bay that phils had this carb..to try n get me out of the shite and car running nice again...

After a bit of mucking about today...ta daaaaaaaaaa success so far :)

Meant to be a coldish morning this sunday 22nd April.....so car is left outsside over night to see how it behaves when i fire it up in the morning...fingers crossed..

Had to swap carb tops too keep manual choke set up on the new carb..rather than drill out the new carb top,swapped over the new plunger and seal along with the power valve stem n spring...also had too change fuel solenoid as the new carb was running the twin wires and i need the single.With all bolted up and eventually fired up and idling nice etc...tested it for stalling when put in drive or reverse with foot on brake,awsome a win on that it kept idle etc.

Ok so for a short drive down the street and back and mmm bugger problems...loss of power and stall when pull up, took me a while to figure it out, good old float level...adjusted the float level up to get more in the fuel bowl and presto a few drives around the block all was good again...

In the meantime with all the hassles i was having with the speedo not working, i changed over to a instrument cluster that suited the speedo cable end to stay where it should and not slip off backwards under the dash..but in doing so the temp gauge and fule gauge now don't read correctly...swapped over temp gauges from orignal cluster and didnt make a difference.

Between the two cluster there are some small differences, so when i get the original cluster for the ke38 back from Emma, will swap back it`s original temp gauge and swap the speedo heads which will mean drilling two new holes to suit and hopefully all will work fine again.

On the plus side of life, i scored a third (spare) gmh auto box/torque convertor and speedo cable for $15 from evil bay the other week...not long removed from a daily driver to make way for a manual conversion by the sellers son...

Cheers

Teza40

post-2215-0-68261800-1366449417_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-44231600-1366449428_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-03926300-1366449438_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-21048200-1366449458_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-83816900-1366449494_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-63326200-1366449541_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-77852100-1366449560_thumb.jpg