Aftermarket Ecu Help

cozza_mane

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANY aftermarket ecu will run a simple 4age turbo.

what you need to do is download the manuals for each of them and study the crap out of them.

figure out how all the sensors work....and then you can figure out how you are going to wire them up. there is alot of calibration of sensors required, so you may get away with using the standard ones (and just calibrating them), just depends on the individual ecu's requirements.

i haven't looked into ecu's ages, but the new haltech range is supposed to be good, cheapest one is under 1000$ too.

essentially they all do the same thing, and you arent looking for any fancy features with a simple 4age turbo, no vvti etc.

what is more important than the ECU is the guy behind the laptop tuning it;)

I have a Link G4 Storm running my N/A 20 Silvertop. Seems to do the trick (deals with VVT etc). But as everyone said, one of the biggest things is having someone that can tune that particular ECU and has the appropriate software/cables etc. The software for the Links is just available online, so I just took in my laptop last time with the software on (though the mechanic doing the tune had previously had experience with the Links).

Adaptronic are committed to using sensors that come in the motor, I know Haltech often require their own hardware along with the ecu, eg cas.

so long as you give the ECU the signal it wants, it wont matter what cas you use. and we are only talking about hall effect sensors here, just as long as the ECU can interpret what the pulses refer to.

http://forums.haltech.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6894

looks like he has used the factory gze cas on that thing (I'm guessing since they don't specify another cas...)

http://files.haltech.com/downloads/platinum/Platinum_Sprint/quick_start_sprint_500.pdf

more info on the sprint, fairly basic PDF.

i believe that the smallport distributor is "better" to use with an aftermarket ecu, than the bigport one.

smallport one has 3 sensors from what i can gather, bigport only has 2...or something.

http://www.haltech.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/sprint_500_wiring.pdf

going by that, the sensors are all 0-5V, which is what toyota uses.

and it has a "trigger" and then a "trigger home" for the cas, fairly sure the bigport uses that method...or you can easily make it like that.

in conclusion. research research research!!