Ballast Resistor

coonaPWR

Members dont see this ad

the only thing i can think of is that.

5k electronic dissys have a different advance curve to a 4k dissy. so using a hot spark kit on a 4k dissy in a 4kc will go like stink!

100 for a electronic dissy for a 5k or $60 for a hot spark kit. no brainer

Evan how does your 5k electronic distributor go? My 5k electronic distributor was the biggest waist of time, 4k-u Nippondenso electonic one goes way way better. What I was getting at before was the 4k points distributors are Bosch (as far as I know?) and these Hot-Spark kits are for Nippondenso points distributors. So I don't think you could fit the Hot-Spark to a 4k points distributor, and if you could, would it be any different from a Nippondenso 4k-u electronic distributor?

GT40 Sports Ignition Coils.

The GT40 coil comes in two variations.

Firstly, there is the GT40 which is a non-resisted coil to be used in electronic ignition systems.

The second option is the GT40R which is used with a ballast resister, hence the R designation for Resisted usage.

If your car has a white block with a couple of wires coming out of it, usually mounted to the coil bracket or near to the coil, then you need to run a GT40R as a replacement.

You can also buy brand new ballast resistors too, which doesnt hurt to replcae your old one when reconditioning your ignition system.

I know its a simple thing to write, but to get the details down here in one post helps everyone in the end, especially the new members.

Edited by Raven
  • Upvote 1

so ive seen My link does that mean you could take the old coil and ballast out and replace it all with said distributer ??

has anyone used one of these ?

If you remove your coil and ballast resistor and replace it with a said distributor you'll have two distributors that don't say much and no coil... :lolcry:

If you remove your coil and ballast resistor and replace it with a said distributor you'll have two distributors that don't say much and no coil... :lolcry:

use a bit of imagination I'm sure you can understand what I'm saying .....

so ive seen My link does that mean you could take the old coil and ballast out and replace it all with said distributer ??

Yes, if you are replacing your distributor with an electronic distributor, then you need to remove the ballast resistor and replace the coil with a GT40 coil, NOT a GT40R.

Yes, if you are replacing your distributor with an electronic distributor, then you need to remove the ballast resistor and replace the coil with a GT40 coil, NOT a GT40R.

He is talking about the ebay electronic distributor with the built in coil. I think it is actually a forklift coil cos I ain't never seen one.

The distributor in ^that link says it's for a 4k or 5k, but the 4k distributors have different advance curves to 5k distributors. Altezzaclub made a thread about it, click. Try and find a 4k electronic distributor, it'll be cheaper and work better than the one in that link. I had a 5k electronic distributor that looked exactly like the one in that link in my 4k and it sucked.

Edited by rianwest

Luke it appears you're right- you fit that dizzy and throw out your old dizzy, coil and ballast resistor.

It looks like it has a particular plug that you would have to adapt to.

The biggest problem with all these dizzys is getting an ignition timing curve to suit a car. I'm afraid the forklift curve or a van curve will make your car feel like a forklift or a van to drive!!

It would be worthwhile plotting a timing curve every 500rpm for these units and seeing how they compare.

Rian, what did you do with the 5K one?.

Edited by altezzaclub