84 Ke70 - Converted

Jrad

The rear guards have been lightly rolled - we did that when we repaired all the rust in them.

And yep, thought so about cutting Falcon springs. Might pick some up from the wreckers, remove that whale feeling haha.

I read somewhere that Hilux short stroke shockers can be used to minimise travel as well, stopping them from bottoming out.

That'd be sooooo stiff I imagine, although wouldn't collapse on a corner like they do currently. Lol.

EDIT: Suzuki Sierra shocks as well? Apparently they're almost ideal.

I really just need to know what years they come off and what variety.

Like the Hilux.. they have 4 and 6 cylinder, petrol and diesel, 4wd and 2wd. Lol.

That's the rear sorted.. as for the front? Cut the stock ones in half and cable tie them in place? Yeah, thought so.

No but seriously, - would Corona struts be a decent option for getting it lower at all?

I know the AE86 struts are common - but they're getting super expensive because of the demand for them. Corona one's can get gotten from a wrecker pretty easily. But then is there much in the way of changing other things..?

This looks really nice Jarrad, love the new paint, flat front, stripes.. everything actually! Be proud mate, Those wheels will come up nice with a coat of paint :y: Actually will you be coming to the dyno day this sunday at Dr Drift in Tottenham?

And thanks!

I wasn't really aware of this dyno day, but I'll be working anyway, so unfortunately not.

Oh, and here's a shopped image.

My dad's going "Nup. Nope." Haha. I dunno, I like them.

I can always pressure pack them and if they're bad it'll come off super easy.

post-13870-0-88856300-1316509870_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jrad

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SO!

I've driven around a few times with the wheels as is in silver, and I think I'm going to leave them like that.

They suit it well, and I'm loving the squatness they give it.

Still looking at suspension, although it's not too bad at the moment.

I'll do a write-up for "Lowering on a budget" once I work out doing the front.

There's always the niggling "put an engine in me!" in the back of my mind.

If anyone is selling a worked 4k-c (or 5k/7k) I'm interested, but not ASAP.

Decided I'd opt for a k-series engine because of simplicity of conversion and cost.

I can do body work well, and make pretty much anything work, but when it comes to mechanical- there's much to learn!

This is future, for now it's just nice to look at :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

I'm working to massage the stance this Summer break. Slight spacers possibly and a little lower.

I want a snug fit.

Also been considering a daily.. I want something sort of.. year 1995+ that's got a good look to it. But nothing's doing it for me haha.

• 2 months later...

Nothing too exciting happening recently.

I've been driving it a bit more lately (still haven't serviced it.. tsk, tsk)

I came home today and mentioned to dad that maybe I'll just turn it into a daily once club rego runs out next year.

Forget about any engine conversions and all the complications. Just love it for what it is aesthetically.

Pay attention to the small exhaust leak and either source a decent 4k or just give mine a good clean and tune, get it running RIGHT.

Whack a carby and extractors on it, and a factory 5 speed for more comfortable cruising. Maybe pinch-a-part a tacho dash if possible.

It'll be cheap and reliable, not that my current daily isn't. But I've grown tired of it and just love my KE hahaa.

Anyway, here's a recent picture to finish that off.

381610_2673594553355_1060892044_2803739_1312961287_n.jpg

I like this car, I like that you haven't got chrome bars on it with the quads for something different, I actually like the look.

Honestly i'm not a fan of fender mirrors but they look alright being black, and the rims suit it pretty well.

It's the first yellow ksev i've liked :P

I like this car, I like that you haven't got chrome bars on it with the quads for something different, I actually like the look.

Honestly i'm not a fan of fender mirrors but they look alright being black, and the rims suit it pretty well.

It's the first yellow ksev i've liked :P

Haha, I don't have chrome because I didn't really want to spend $300+ on a set of bars.

And the yellow.. Well at first I definitely wanted to change it. But the more and more I drive it, the more and more I like it.

Most people don't give it a second look - but people that know what it is/are into cars.. it turns heads.

These guys in a 60's Chev were checking it out the other day haha. I liked that.

And you can thank the man above for the rims ;) I'm really happy with them.

This looks awesome man! Doesnt look at all like its been done on a budget, you've put a lot of time into it by the look of that.

I swear those corona quads are the same as the expensive 'jdm' ones anyway, only difference is the grill.

Also, go xt130 bumpers if you went for chrome bars! mine cost me $55 for both in good condition. Front just needed shortening, which was easy, and the rear needed some custom mounts which wasn't too bad.

I can send you some pictures if your interested in that. They really suit the ke70. And they have the black rubber strip which would work well on yours.

And did you sort out the suspension? i wouldnt worry about the adjustable panhard rod, i can take the springs out of mine (i don't drive it like that haha just for looks) tuck the whole 14" tire and it still sits evenly.

I'm on a tight budget so i was struggling with the suspension for a bit too. The sierra shocks were way too short, i went VK commodore wagon rears - perfect length/strength and price.

As for the front.... i took the shock insert out, pulled it apart, and slid some tubing in the bottom- Instant homemade short strokes. don't work as well as a proper job though of course.

I'm currently saving up for coilovers though. I got some Xt130 struts. They are the same diametre as ae86 too, as far as i can tell they are the same.. bigger rotors too but the use the same caliper as the ke70

Hope any of that helps at all man, the car looks awesome! One day I'm owning a yellow one :yes:

Cheers

Ben

Edited by BlueKsev

It's funny I just checked this now. I was just about to come on and look at suspension for it.

Planning on going lower tomorrow - cable ties may be needed haha. Seeing as it's on club rego, I only drive it once or twice a week. If it becomes a daily I'll need to sort the suspension out properly.

And depending, I might need to look at shocks then. VK wagon. Sweet. I assume VK are different to the sedans then because of weight distribution, etc?

I'm trying to picture placing the tube in it....

But yeah, the XT130 struts... are they pretty much take the stock ones out, put those in? And any other parts needed, like LCAs or anything?

I didn't really want to go a whole changeover due to cost and whatnot.

Yeah the shocks were $20 from the wreckers for me, near new by the looks of them too. As for sedan and wagon, i'm not sure of the differences but i don't think the sedan ones fit. And I'm pretty sure the VL wagon ones are the same.

Yeah i'm near positive the xt130's will go straight in if you put the ke70 spring and top hat on them. They will work with the ke70 LCA's, but if you can find xt130 LCA's at a decent price grab them because you will get the 1 - 2 degree of camber they give if you want that. I haven't got mine in the car yet, but apparently when you put the xt130 struts in it reduces your steering lock, so you need to get some ae86 powersteering arms to fix that up.

The only issue with xt130's is the lower spring perch and the upper ke70 one are different diameters.

So you will have to get springs wound to suit or/

cut off and weld the lower ke70 perch onto the xti30 strut or/

convert them to coil overs.

Or be dodgy and use ke70 springs and wire them into the bottom perch.