The Rwd 2Az-Fe Thread.

LittleRedSpirit

i have to say this whole thread has been extremely helpful, funny enough i used to own an ae86 but had to sell it due to mney limitations.. but ended up buying a car here in the states with a 2az-fe in it.. i have done a lot of work on mine.. but eventually since its an awd frame with a fwd motor setup... i want to convert it to rwd.. and this has been a huge help.. especially with the crazier stuff like sourcing the transmission..

i went as far as to track down taka oano and asked a few questions about his drift corolla he put a 2az in..but eneded up finding out it was a g-force 4-speed nascar transmission.. like i can afford that right...

i figured i would make an account here and thank you for all this work and being so public about it.. also i run a twin scroll evo 8 mr tdo5hr on my motor. with a tial 38mm wastagate, a forge diversion valve, 650cc injectors, 1035 treadstone fmic. had to fabricate the whole kit for it as they don't sell a twin scroll to put on the 2az-fe.. but its very worthwhile.

anyhow thanks again for the info and the work you put into this, its very appreciated =) if you plan on boosting this motor i may have some stuff you will want to know.. basically odds and ends about the engine..its a great motor it just can giv you some false alarms when it comes to running boost..

p.s the aem fic is very useful when coupled with a stock ecu for this engine (inbuilt map sensor)... i street tune and as long as your careful it tunes fine.. but some of the ecu's for this motor do not have knock/ping/pinking/detonation sensor output..so its difficult to tune for knock.. so either do it with a detcan setup (electronic or not) or get a knock box and a second factory sensor and screw it on the block.. thats way you at least have some way to monitor knock..

oh and if your on a budget some of the larger lotus injectors are cross compatible and cheaper than the aftermarket ones.

ok I'm out..thanks again man....and i miss my corolla...

Members dont see this ad

Hello and welcome!

This is exactly why I share my work, I don't try to make money off it, if I inspire someone then that's wonderful.

Id be happy to help you with any questions you could have about the rwd config, however I fear I may have put exhausting detail into the thread already.

Thanks again for the kind words and useful information. I may one day boost the engine, but for right now I just want to keep it simple and make sure my oil system mod works before I get too excited.

Ive got some nice CP pistons to go into it at some stage, once I know its running sweet.

You never know you may end up back in an ae86 or ke70 someday. :wave:

Just priced some polycarbonate sheet.

3mm is about 100 plus gst for a 24x12.

4.9mm is about 145 plus gst.

Might make some poly side windows for this thing, and maybe a poly panel instead of the hatch glass. Should be able to shed quite a few kgs this way. Downside being I don't think its road legal.

Well either way they are both scratchable however acrylic will crack and craze all through its structure and polycarbonate will be a lot stronger in an auto application. 10mm poly is rated as bulletproof. 10mm acrylic would not be at all. There are films and coatings you can apply now that reduce the scratchability of plastics when used as windows.

Acrylic is a really low rent plastic, it has a number of issues for a fabricator, not least of which is the fact that the sheeting varies in thickness by as much as +/- 2mm across a single sheet.

Polycarbonate is made to more exacting standards as far as measurements go. Sounds like a small problem until your window wont fit into its channel.

The other thing I've run into trouble with is UV stability of any sort of "plastic" windows.

We were trialling a heap of variants for applications on industrial forklifts and none were anywhere near UV/weather stable enough for long term use.

What are you planning to do with the 86 once your finished? I'm guessing road registered and regular driving as per your other builds?

Yes LJ thats another great point. They are a short term proposition compared to normal autoglass.

I'm planning to use it as a daily driver, but to do drags, sprints and the odd trackday.

I'm kinda debating whether to cage it at the moment. If I was to it would need to be pretty unobtrusive.