August 23, 201214 yr comment_622781 There will be another Corolla lover in my family in 9 months. Report
August 28, 201214 yr comment_623613 Seeing as I'm gonna have some time on my hands I might do my struts next week. Any opinions on what kind of ball joint separator to get? The fork kind or the puller screw kind? Cheap is good. Edited August 28, 201214 yr by B.L.Z.BUB Report
August 28, 201214 yr comment_623651 Been looking at youtube clips are they easy to get back in (Ive got freshies) or would I need a presser too? <----n00b Report
August 28, 201214 yr comment_623652 Buy a good hammer, only time I have ever had to use a pitman arm puller was to, well, remove a pitman arm. Give the steering arm a whack on the edge around the joint (with the nut loosened off) and it should pop out. Report
August 28, 201214 yr comment_623655 So if I'm replacing the tie rods/ ball joints, smash them out? I've done tie rods but ball joints are new to me. I just don't want to get to it and not have the right tool. Report
August 28, 201214 yr comment_623659 Oh sorry man, I didn't realise you were actually changing the ball joints aswell, they will be a press in. Report
August 28, 201214 yr comment_623661 Yeah so I'll need one of those G clamp pressers I'm guessing. Report
August 28, 201214 yr comment_623665 I haven't actually changed an E7 ball joint but every other was press out and in in the hydraulic press. All I remember from doing my struts was undoing the 2 lower strut bolts, removing the ball joint nut and then the tie rod end nut and changing the arms over and then the struts. Report
August 28, 201214 yr comment_623666 Hmm, maybe it'd be cheaper to get it all out and get a mechanic to press them in. Those tools aint cheap. Theres actually a hydraulic press at my course, might use that on Wednesday. Edited August 28, 201214 yr by B.L.Z.BUB Report
August 28, 201214 yr comment_623675 I machined myself a separator fork for doing tie rod ends. Hardened spring steel etc. Was popping 30+yo tie rod ends with 1 belt. Worked much easier than the puller I have. Then again, the Sykes Pickavant puller set is WAY overkill for Corolla tie rod ends haha. Reed: Get the suspension joint to remove the ball joints. Not too hard, but if your paying for them to be installed, might as well get them to pull em out too. Edited August 28, 201214 yr by SLO-030 Report
August 28, 201214 yr comment_623680 Hammer works good enough.. As long as you hit straight, if you bend nails then forget it.. You can rig a G clamp to work pretty well. For steering arms and tie rod ends hammer works well, just smack it on the side and it'll wiggle loose. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now