Do I Need To Run My Battery Earth Straight To The Block?New Problem :(

Alexrx7

Do I need a positive cable going from starter motor to alternator?

Nope- the battery supplies the starter motor, up to 300amps when its cranking. Then the alty recharges the battery at only 50amps odd, so it take a few minutes.

I've never run the lead from the block to the earth of the battery in the boot, I used the chassis to carry power, but it seems a good idea. Two heavy battery cables from the battery to the starter will give you the best transmission possible.

Better would be to have the battery on the chassis on the driver's side, which is why I did it. Short leads and easy to do.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the layout. I coloured it for a slightly different reason, but basically turning the key to "ignition on" loads the green lines, and turning it to "start" loads the red line.

That red line is the low-current wire that goes from the ignition key to the starter motor to activate the solenoid. The heavy current line goes from the battery to the starter and is still in black.

The green lines go through the coil/rev counter & run the motor, and your part goes through the ign light then alty fuse then to the alty to power the windings. Once they are activated the alty produces electricity that feeds into the fusible link to run the electrics generally and charge the battery.

You shouldn't have to touch anything to move the battery except the high-current wires. However if you are losing power like you said then you have a fault in the alty circuit.

post-7544-0-28063100-1317431342_thumb.jpg

Do I need a positive cable going from starter motor to alternator?

When I redid the positive lead in my 35 I ran a thick cable from the alternator to the starter to the battery, when you move the battery to the boot this is the best option as you don't have to run two sets of cable.

You have to have Battery Eearth to body and Body to Block as this is the only earthing point for the starter motor, I've never seen a seperate earth for the gearbox, the reverse switch uses very little current.

Oh and something previously said, the starter motor and alternator work on current, the larger the current the bigger the voltage drop so use the right sized cabling otherwise this is all useless information.

When I redid the positive lead in my 35 I ran a thick cable from the alternator to the starter to the battery, when you move the battery to the boot this is the best option as you don't have to run two sets of cable.

You have to have Battery Eearth to body and Body to Block as this is the only earthing point for the starter motor, I've never seen a seperate earth for the gearbox, the reverse switch uses very little current.

Oh and something previously said, the starter motor and alternator work on current, the larger the current the bigger the voltage drop so use the right sized cabling otherwise this is all useless information.

cheers heaps guys theyre is currently no positive lead running from the starter motor to the alternator pretty sure thats my problem it was decieving though beacause the alternator has the positive lead on top so it looks connected but i checked the starter motor and it was not connected theyre. should i just run a new line from the starter motor to alty and should it be the same thickness wire as what is going to the starter motor from the battery???

as you don't have to run two sets of cable

Which two sets of cables did you run Jono? I just run the main battery +ve cable to the front, and all the small low-current wires link into that. (including the alty line)

Ideally you would run a fat cable from the battery in the boot to an isolation switch where the battery used to be, and all stock wiring comes off that. Then you can kill the battery current from under the bonnet immediately.

You're right about the gearbox, it uses the engine earth through all the bolts in the bellhousing. You can use an ohmmeter to measure all this, we did it in Altezzaclub when the arguments were raging about the fancy bling earth cabling that was for sale. Any time you have electrical problems it is worth spending 15minutes with a $10 multimeter from Jaycar.

theyre is currently no positive lead running from the starter motor to the alternator pretty sure thats my problem it was decieving though beacause the alternator has the positive lead on top so it looks connected but i checked the starter motor and it was not connected theyre. should i just run a new line from the starter motor to alty and should it be the same thickness wire as what is going to the starter motor from the battery???

The alty +ve goes off to the fusible link circuit, on mine its part of the fusebox/relay box that sits beside the battery in the stock position. The battery doesn't wire directly to the alty, and the alty only uses a low-current wire as it charges much slower than the battery discharges.

Wire it like this- The battery heavy-current wire is the blue one, it goes from battery +ve straight to the starter. The other wires (fusible link wires) go on the same terminal of the starter, (shown in black). The red one is the solenoid activator that is on the solenoid tab of the starter. Mine fitted perfectly, and while you are under the exhaust manifold in that incredibly cramped place, check the fusible links carefully as they wires burn and break.

post-7544-0-27945200-1317433836_thumb.jpg

Which two sets of cables did you run Jono? I just run the main battery +ve cable to the front, and all the small low-current wires link into that. (including the alty line)

Ideally you would run a fat cable from the battery in the boot to an isolation switch where the battery used to be, and all stock wiring comes off that. Then you can kill the battery current from under the bonnet immediately.

You're right about the gearbox, it uses the engine earth through all the bolts in the bellhousing. You can use an ohmmeter to measure all this, we did it in Altezzaclub when the arguments were raging about the fancy bling earth cabling that was for sale. Any time you have electrical problems it is worth spending 15minutes with a $10 multimeter from Jaycar.

Just one cable from the battery to the starter, then a cable from the alternator to the starter:

post-9470-0-57753000-1317434603_thumb.jpg

Ah- OK. That's normal, in that the rest of the car feeds into it either at the starter or the alty.

So Alex still runs one fat +ve wire from the boot to the starter, and if he's keen an earth wire going back beside it.

I'd go and photograph mine but its such a cold wet shitty day & it is such an impossible place to get to! Toyota should have had the starter, the battery and the alty on the other side of the motor! I do remember as I moved the wires from the original battery +ve down under th exhaust to the starter terminal one of the fusible link tabs broke. They were all dirty, old and rigid so I did big cleanup and check of all the connections.

Ah- OK. That's normal, in that the rest of the car feeds into it either at the starter or the alty.

So Alex still runs one fat +ve wire from the boot to the starter, and if he's keen an earth wire going back beside it.

I'd go and photograph mine but its such a cold wet shitty day & it is such an impossible place to get to! Toyota should have had the starter, the battery and the alty on the other side of the motor! I do remember as I moved the wires from the original battery +ve down under th exhaust to the starter terminal one of the fusible link tabs broke. They were all dirty, old and rigid so I did big cleanup and check of all the connections.

yea I'm about to go hook it up so ill let you know the verdict. and i think the reason the alternator isnt hooked up to the starter motor is because someone forgot to connect it after the 4age conversion lol

I've never run the lead from the block to the earth of the battery in the boot, I used the chassis to carry power, but it seems a good idea. Two heavy battery cables from the battery to the starter will give you the best transmission possible.

1000kg of steel will do a pretty good job at transfering electrons!

Got a new problem lol the alternator isnt charging enough and i think its because the battery sensor wire from the alternator plug isnt wired to anything i was wondering if any of you know if i can wire S to B as seen below in the diagram as B is the terminal that connects to the battery and S is the sensor wire.... thanks againpost-12277-0-47373200-1317797126_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alexrx7

B terminal goes to the battery. It's purely for charging the battery. You can go through the starter motor.

IG is ignition, goes to the ignition switch in the key

S is sensor, goes straight to battery, to see how the battery is going.

and L is Lamp, goes to dash lamp to show if the battery is charging.