Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lola - Ke55 4a-gze

Featured Replies

  • Author

Worked on the car today. I've replaced the spark plugs with some new Denso's I had sitting wait to go in (for over 12 months), and whether it was a loose lead or a bad plug, the engine is now running a shite load better.

 

However, I definitely have a crack in my intercooler, which needed replacing anyway due to being so fingered. Originally I was going to go with a water-to-air intercooler (first from a Liberty, then I considered a Celica GT4 type), however as I'm going for a turbo later on, I've decided to go with a front mount. It will be WAY more effective than the original top-mount, especially considering it sat directly over the extractors, so I'll pick up the power I'm losing, plus I'll gain some more as I'll feel it'll be safe enough to do the ABV mod.

 

On a slightly different note, I was comparing the crank pulley I got with the one on my car, and it's actually the smaller of the two types. I thought this was interesting as Duy (the Sprinter driver and all-round generous guy) has said that he'd bought the later model 4A-GZE. I think he might have been had, as I thought that only the AW11 and early AE92's came with the smaller crank pulley (and smaller SC pulley too).

  • Replies 416
  • Views 155.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i thought smaller = faster = more boost?

 

ie map versions had the smaller sc pulley but i dunno about a crank pulley....

  • Author

I did quite a lot of research on the various types of 4A-GZE after I bought Lola, and the info I found indicates that there were three different types of 4A-GZE. There's the AW11 version, also used in the early AE92, which had 145ps with the bigport head, 8.0:1 compression and up to 8psi of boost. It had a 150mm crank pulley and a 125mm SC pulley, meaning that the SC was being run at 1.2 times engine rpm. This was followed by the later AE92 version, which had 165ps with the smallport head, 8.9:1 compression, and up to 10psi of boost. It used a 155mm crank pulley and a 120mm SC pulley, running the SC at 1.29 times engine rpm. The subsequent AE101 version was almost the same as the AE92 version, but with oil cooled pistons, and a slightly different tune for 170ps.

 

So I must have got confused in my earlier post. The AW11/AE92 did have a smaller crank pulley, but a larger SC pulley.

do you feel special?

I did quite a lot of research on the various types of 4A-GZE after I bought Lola, and the info I found indicates that there were three different types of 4A-GZE. There's the AW11 version, also used in the early AE92, which had 145ps with the bigport head, 8.0:1 compression and up to 8psi of boost. It had a 150mm crank pulley and a 125mm SC pulley, meaning that the SC was being run at 1.2 times engine rpm. This was followed by the later AE92 version, which had 165ps with the smallport head, 8.9:1 compression, and up to 10psi of boost. It used a 155mm crank pulley and a 120mm SC pulley, running the SC at 1.29 times engine rpm. The subsequent AE101 version was almost the same as the AE92 version, but with oil cooled pistons, and a slightly different tune for 170ps.

 

So I must have got confused in my earlier post. The AW11/AE92 did have a smaller crank pulley, but a larger SC pulley.

is the big port head better for a turbo conversion than the small port. :P

  • Author

Yes, definitely. According to one site I've read, it's meant to be better than the 20v as well, but I would have thought that the larger port area of the 20v would have better suited forced induction, but this one guy (who seemed to know what he was on about) disagreed. I can't seem to find the site at the moment, so I can't link you to it, but if you look up cheap 4A-GTE's you'll probably find his page.

has something to do with squish area doesnt it?

  • Author

He does mention why the five valve per cylinder head isn't as good as the four valve, but with no reference to forced induction. Of course, the arguement that he makes covers all types of engines.

 

I don't think that the advantages of the 16v over the 20v have anything to do with squish area, it's more just port size and valve size.

 

Of course, if I was offered a 4A-GTE 20v engine cheap, I'm not going to turn it down simply because it's not quite as good as if it had been done with a bigport 16v head. :P

i was told by my local mechanic that the bigport engines are harder to start than the smallport as in reliability?

  • Author

Umm yeah, I agree with Nick. I've never heard of any version of the 4A-G being harder to start than any other version. I think your mechanic might be talking out his bottom.

Edited by ancullen

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.