Mx83 Using Water

madKE35coupe

hey guys as some of you may know i bought a mx83 cressida for my partner to get around in. i hadnt really taken much notice but it seems to be using a bit more water than usual, and the reservoir fills up to the top.......and doesnt go back into the radiator when it cools. I'm pretty sure it isnt a blown head gasket, which was my first thought, since the car still runs and drives as well as the day i bought it. are there any other reasons why this could be happening? its a 7m-ge too. any help would be great. cheers brendan

Members dont see this ad

Make sure it has a thermostat then start it up one morning without the radiator cap on and the rad fill.

Let it idle for 10 or 15min & if the HG is leaking you will get the water flowing out of the rad all over your feet, as the bubble push it around backwards because they can't get past the t'stat. Once the t'stat opens all is fine as the gas bubbles leak out via the overflow bottle.

A six will run much smoother with a leaking gasket than a 4cyl. Look for a lazy cyl by pulling off the plug leads one by one or hook a compressor up and do a leak-down test of each cyl.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...