Rians Ke70

rian

post-9612-0-67843500-1325573596_thumb.jpg

Okay so I purchased 4A metal + rubber engine mounts and T50 - 4A gearbox stays off of Squish_m8 (thanks man!), and finished cleaning the T50. Then today I decided to put the suspension back in the brown car so that I could move it from Brisbane back to Byron Bay and start doing the swap.

So I got the coilovers back in and put the calipers back on, then got my girlfriend to help me start it: this involved her turning the key while I sprayed "start ya bastard" into the carburetor. Once we got it going I asked her to pump the brake pedal to get the brakes working again after the calipers had been reattached to the struts, but as she pushed the pedal I heard a "pssst" sound, so she kept pushing the pedal until I could find where the pssst sound was coming from. Turns out the metal brake line to the rear brakes has split and I need to get a new one before I can move the car. So I'm going to remove the line and take it into a brake shop to get a new one made up, anyone recommend a place around Taringa/Indooroopilly that can make one for me?

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

The whole metal line? Epic!

Though I need to get it fixed sometime this week though so that I can drive it back to Byron, will that be cool if I come get it soon? I'll bring those springs with me as well.

Time for an update RC, here's how the car has been sitting for the past few weeks. It hasn't gone anywhere since I got it.

post-9612-0-61381100-1325664476_thumb.jpg

Okay so I started doing some work to get the brakes working again: I started to take the hardline to the diff out, but my spanners were stripping the fittings, so I just cut the line and use a 6pt socket to get them off.

Here you can see where the line had burst and sprayed fluid on the under side of the car:

post-9612-0-21252100-1325664302_thumb.jpg

Then I got the line out, I decided to replace the line that goes to the rear left drum as well as it was very corroded.

post-9612-0-22785800-1325664447_thumb.jpg

Here's the hole in the line:

post-9612-0-73836500-1325664598_thumb.jpg

And here are the new lines that I got... mmm shiny :happy:

post-9612-0-98336800-1325664663_thumb.jpg

Working on the car today was approximately 9.5 million times more annoying that I was anticipating. The clamps that secure the brake + fuel lines the the chassis were in the most annoying locations and everything was so greasy and smelly, I have the biggest headache from being upside down and smelling brake fluid for hours. Wah wah wah...

Oh and here's a pic of my(sort of) clean gearbox:

post-9612-0-47967100-1325664955_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll have the car back at my parents house soon where I can start doing some work on it, one of my friends is a welder/boiler-maker-guy and I might try and convince him to do some seem welding. :wink:

Edited by rian

$58 all up for the two lines(~4.5 meters in total), including the fittings, cut to size and flared from All Brake & Clutch in Rocklea. I got mine cut a few inches longer than the originals as I figured my bends would be less accurate and therefor take up more length, and after bending it into shape they ended up about an inch shorter than the originals. Which doesn't really matter anyway as there are so many unnecessary bends in the line that I can straighten out.

The brake system failing like that makes me worried about driving my other KE70 as a daily, I really should get around to replacing all the lines. This would be the third time I've had the brakes fail on an '80s car. It's scary shit.

Edited by rian

I repaced my hardline, was a bitch. Except i just put another one out of an AE71 i found in a paddock, i've never seen the hardline getting a hole where yours is though, ends snap at fitting a lot though. When you put the lines in, i did about half in the brackets then zip tied the rest up. Winner.

Hurry and bring this down.

Okay so bending the hardline and installing it was the shittest thing I've ever had to do with cars, the bends in the new line seem to match the bends in the old line until you try and install it and realise your bends are wayyy off!

Jacob I got most of the brackets in but the one up beside the gearbox was impossible, I took the bracket and stamped on it until it was out of shape therefor creating an excuse to not use it :lolcry:

But it's all done now, bled the brakes etc. took it for a test drive and it pulls up well, though the steering is a bit wonky and there is a horrible rattle in the front somewhere. Ill give everything another check over tomorrow to make sure it's all safe and then I'm taking it home on Monday.

Time for some pictures:

The new brake lines that I bent up, they looked correct until I tried to install them:

post-9612-0-28979400-1325749748_thumb.jpg

The brown car, now called Mustard Butt, finally made it out of the garage:

post-9612-0-60843300-1325749923_thumb.jpg

And here's some pics of Mr Blue KE and Mustard Butt together, keto love <3

post-9612-0-52480600-1325750065_thumb.jpg

post-9612-0-92193100-1325750311_thumb.jpg

post-9612-0-16827700-1325750345_thumb.jpg

Figured out how the stereo works too so now I can listen to music on the trip home!

Edited by rian

no the long mounts next to the engine mounts.

They would be T50 to 4A gearbox stays/brackets/mounts, they help secure the gearbox to the engine. Though I here lot of people don't use them so they can't be that important.

Edit: wrong person

Edited by rian

So today I was going to move my car down to Byron Bay so I could start the conversion. The day started off with me calling AAMI and getting CTP insurance for the day, then I drove to the TMR where I got an unregistered vehicle permit. Then I packed all my shit into the car and me and my girlfriend started driving home, everything was going sweet until we got to Logan and it randomly broke down, I then spent an hour organising a tow truck to get it off the highway, the guy dropped it off in a quiet street where I tried to figure out why it wouldn't go, I figured it was an electrical issue as I could see fuel being sucked into the carb when the engine was turning over.

So I drove back home to get tools, a Gregory's manual, a spare coil, resistor and dizzy. Took it all back to Logan where I spent the next few hours trying to diagnose the problem, I tested to see if it was sparking, but it wasn't. Though there was power getting to the coil, so I put the spare resistor and coil in(which was working when it was removed from my other car), but still no spark. Then I changed the dizzy, making sure I kept the timing correct, but still no spark. I also tried swapping the coil to dizzy lead over from my other KE70 but that didn't work either. By this time I was out of light and we were sick of it. So we left it there and went on back to Byron Bay. I would have got it towed to Byron but the quotes I was getting were like $500+.

What should I do people? I have no way of moving it until my dad gets back from his holiday in a few days and I can borrow his ute to tow a trailer up there and get it. Does anyone have a tow car? I will pay you. I really don't want to leave it there as I fear it will either a) get stolen, b) get trashed, c) get towed or d) all of them!

Note: we had 2 cars, I was driving the brown KE70 and my girlfriend was driving the blue KE70. I forgot to mention that, that's how I managed to drive home and get tools and stuff.

Edited by rian

Okay so I got the day off work today, time to go heckle all my friends with falcons/commodores/utes to see if anyone will tow my car. Yeah Dave I sussed out trailers, I think the U-Haul car trailers are $85 for 6 hours wich should be enough. And they have winches on the trailers too! I just hope my car isn't too low to get on the trailer, I'll be taking blocks of wood and a trolley jack just incase I need them or something.

Edited by rian